Cartoon Dog

I used a cartoon image as an emission light. Here is an update

I still have more to do with it but it is getting there.
CC are welcome

I like Patches new digs… I think I would experiment with camera angle to show just a little bit over the top of the fence possibly.

Try getting rid of the hdri, choose an rgb color instead, and kill themesh lights and try a sun lamp, experiment with strength and size of the sun lamp, it will instantly cartoonify the scene. Patches is in the uncertain valley between styles right now.

herleynut97 I have changed the camera angle and you are able to see the top to fence

Photox
I have deleted the HDRI and th cartoon image as emission. I added another sun lamp one is at 10,000 and another at 8.000
The trees still need work and some leaves. Not sure if I will keep them or not.

I used a cartoon image as an emission light. Here is an update

Thanks for trying that, Spanishrose. But that wasn’t exactly what I meant when I referred to the images as planes that Photox mentioned. I thought of a visible background plane. Now that you’ve modelled your own background with that fence the image isn’t following the same idea any more. It’s an interesting idea to use the image as a mesh light, though.

I don’t know if it isn’t already to late to recommend something for the texturing. But the patch on his chin pronounces his chin very much. His chin has already a very pronounced geometry and the patch right there makes it very strong and pop out. I would recommend to test how his face would appear without this patch at that location. Or perhaps also with a reduced chin shape.

I would recommend the same for his paw textures. The dark patches on the paws make them harder to read, especially on darker ground materials.

Something still isn’t right in my mind. This needs to go into toon land. What are you using for a shader on the dog skin? This dog was posted by someone and I put a toon shader and a sun. The toon shader is really two shaders, the diffuse and glossy part. This is more how I feel patches wants to look. But it’s your piece, Maybe you want to go into a more realistic styles. This is my idea for patches:

Top left of image you can see the environment settings, light blue rgb

And the simple toon shader:

Photox I went ahead and changed the nodes that you had in the above post

I don’t want 100% cartoon but a close representation of it. Like the pixar 3d movie look.
Now I will work with the camera angle that I had which I want

@minoribus

I would recommend to test how his face would appear without this patch at that location. Or perhaps also with a reduced chin shape.

I would recommend the same for his paw textures. The dark patches on the paws make them harder to read, especially on darker ground materials.

I do agree with you about his chin and paws. I will see what I can do to change that without messing everything up obviously.

I agree with minoribus on the dark spots, they may be too dark. And listen, you certainly don’t need to change your materials just because I recommend it. Experiment and decide what you want. It’s looking great, push on and get patches rigged up and laying in his house.

Thanks Photox I have been working on reducing the chin and the cheeks of Patches. I also agreed that the chin and paws were to dark so I changed the color. I like it better now.

I have also experimented with a couple of different camera angles and I will do a couple more tomorrow.

Would appreciate your feed back

Here is the latest update.

I have done some changes and I hope you all like them

CC are always welcome

Update:

I have been working on this for so long that I was wondering if this is to bright. I am going for the Pixar feel. It also could be my imagination.

I know its late in the day to offer this input. But maybe a little black in the puppys fur?

Well I think it’s a big improvement. Too saturated, maybe. Try a few experiements with the hair shader, try out the hair node, or a little bit of anisotropic or tranlucent.

I think you should rig him up and pose him in a different spot, laying down in the dog house with a bone is his mouth, sitting up begging, digging a hole under the fence, dragging a roll of toilet paper around…

The changes you made to the paw coloring seemed to work well. I do think your grass is too saturated. Tough call on the DOF, I think you need a lot more samples before you can say it is too strong.

I can’t remember, does patches have teeth? If so you could experiment with the tennis ball or bone in his mouth.

Thanks Joseph yes it is too late but will keep in mind for next time
Photox I thought it was to saturated as well so I experimented with the nodes in the composite
harleynut97

I can’t remember, does patches have teeth?

Yes he has teeth and I will be working with the rigging to have a different pose
CC would be appreciated

Attachments

I like this new camera angle of the last renders. He is so full of attention and so awake. Really a good shot!

What I would try is to make his eyes more brilliant. Let them shine, at the moment there is too much roughness.

The color of the desaturated grass is also much better.

If so you could experiment with the tennis ball or bone in his mouth.

Sorry harleynut97 I am planning on putting the bone in his mouth and once rigged to have go over the the doghouse or at least to do some walking around.

What I would try is to make his eyes more brilliant. Let them shine, at the moment there is too much roughness.

I have adjusted the shine in his eyes as well thanks to minoribus who suggested that

I am working on rigging this dog using foot bone and an IK. When I click on the hip bone the foot isn’t connected to the IK but I did do the ctrl shift c and copy to rotation? Not sure what I had done wrong.

Please someone let me know what I had done.
Thanks for looking

Please can someone help on this Here is the blend file Thanks

Hi, spanishrose, I had a look into your .blend file. In object mode select patches and then shift select the armature. After that hit CTRL + P and set parent to armature with automatic weights. That will parent patches to the armature, allowing the armature to deform it.

This step will create the weight painting that is needed for rigging. But you will have to do some manual corrections. The eyeballs are separate objects. So you have to parent them also. And the teeth will need some additional weight painting.

edit: parenting is done by CTRL + P of course, silly me. I changed this in the text above.