Blender User Satisfaction Survey

Actually, who are you to tell others how to answer a survey?

I don’t know if this is the right thread to have this conversation but I actually disagree. Doing it for love and passion is great and all but I find that passion quickly fades away. Money is a better long-term motivator that ensures that a feature gets fully implemented and even maintained (if the contract runs long enough) rather than quickly churning out a half-finished version that get’s abandoned soon after in favor of a new, more exciting project.

This is just my own opinion though, concluded by my own experiences.

Wow. I didn’t expect this to happen. It is a misunderstanding. I don’t believe that money should be a main motivation driver, in many things. I don’t decide for anybody. Money is important, yes, and of course everybody deserves to be compensated for work. I have around 3 small patches in Blender, not much I know, and I definitely don’t talk on the behalf of any developer, I just still believe in receiving a lot and trying to give back, and give the money to the few who are really committed. I guess I didn’t (want to) see the question as a rhetorical one, so just disregard that “no” as a statistical error…

I didn’t tell anyone what to answer. If you want to appear in some survey like an entitled user that believes (for some dumb reason or another) that Blender developers should not be paid for their work, go right ahead and pick “No”. If you don’t actually want to do that, pick “Yes”. There’s no room for more differentiated opinions in the survey.

Glad we cleared that out. I guess I’ve read your post too negatively.

Thanks for that, and I can relate to your point. I was thinking about volunteers more than long term developers.

As I said, I love the software. But this community I think would benefit from a monthly visit to a therapist.

haha, you’re so right.

@Joseph

But therapists are not open source.

Believe it or not, much of Blender’s existing development can be credited to paid contracts. Sure, you can develop a FOSS application without money, but if you want a fully-featured FOSS application with commercial-grade tools that take dozens and even hundreds of man hours to complete (to the point where said developer takes time off of a regular job), then you need to (ideally) have as many paid positions as can be afforded.

Otherwise, Blender would just be a much slower growing application made by people in their spare time. Do note that the developers need that extra paid time to address the hundreds of bug reports and the dozens of patch submissions on top of actual development.

@Ace
I know the “no” answer is controversial, even a mistake, but try to go past that and read the second part of my comment that you quoted. Surely you can see that we don’t disagree.

In any case, what’s done is done, and you are free to think of me, some random guy on the internet, as you want. I’m done trying to defend myself.