Blender QuickLook plugin

does not work on MacOS Sierra, can somebody to help?

Sorry for leaving this thread without attention for so long.
I just tested the plugin with macOS Sierra in a MacBook pro

I added a compiled release in GitHub please see here:

Tried it on El Capitan, but doesnt seem to work. I also tried editting the plist file. Seems like some items are missing if i compare it to others

BLender does have a org.blender plist file in the system and doesnt really declare it i think.

When i look in the blender app plist i see “CFBundleTypeOSTypes” and refers to BLND??? thats weird

BLender does have a org.blender plist file in the system and doesnt really declare it i think.

When i look in the blender app plist i see “CFBundleTypeOSTypes” and refers to BLND??? thats weird

Oke found the issue, its due to compress in the save dialog. I always have this ON. When i leave it OFF icon shows in preview and icon mode, yet not in list mode. Perhaps if i change the number to 16 in the Plist??

EDIT
Its a pitty that the compression is such a bugger. Make the scene way and way bigger. But saving is super fast now… what to use???

Works perfectly on Sierra here.

When the preview is blank, that’s because there’s no render image inside the blend file…

It would be better if it it could take scene info instead of hta black background. I also dont understand why its that low res. The generation of the thumbnail is 800x600. But it can help, yet still deciding if im really gonna use it. Making all scenes 2/3 times as big just for a scrappy thumbnail

I looked at this ql plugin again i dont quite understand why its not generating a thumbnail. When i check if its loaded using qlmanage -m it shows and does the line with some number

When i do `qlmanage -d1 -p FILE i get this error below’

MBP-Schroef:~ Admin$ qlmanage -d1 -t /Users/romboutversluijs/Desktop/Thea_1355/_TheaForBlender_tests/qllook.blend 
Testing Quick Look thumbnails with files:
/Users/romboutversluijs/Desktop/Thea_1355/_TheaForBlender_tests/qllook.blend
[DEBUG] Thumbnailing file:///Users/romboutversluijs/Desktop/Thea_1355/_TheaForBlender_tests/qllook.blend (try #1)
2018-11-03 21:33:55.643 qlmanage[1417:35053] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x7c3b, name = 'com.apple.tsm.portname'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
2018-11-03 21:33:55.645 qlmanage[1417:35053] *** CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1100 (0x44c) 'Permission denied', port = 0x850b, name = 'com.apple.CFPasteboardClient'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
2018-11-03 21:33:55.646 qlmanage[1417:35053] void __CFPasteboardSetup() : Failed to allocate communication port for com.apple.CFPasteboardClient; this is likely due to sandbox restrictions
[DEBUG] file:///Applications/Adobe%20After%20Effects%20CC%202018/Plug-ins/MAXON%20CINEWARE%20AE/(CINEWARE%20Support)/lite/CINEMA%204D%20Lite.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/CINEMA%204D.qlgenerator/ might shadow a plug-in with the same identifier and version (<QLGenerator /Applications/MAXON/CINEMA 4D R17/CINEMA 4D.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/CINEMA 4D.qlgenerator>)
[DEBUG] Thumbnailing file:///Users/romboutversluijs/Desktop/Thea_1355/_TheaForBlender_tests/qllook.blend. Content type UTI: com.blender.blend. Generator used: None
* No thumbnail created for /Users/romboutversluijs/Desktop/Thea_1355/_TheaForBlender_tests/qllook.blend
Done producing thumbnails
MBP-Schroef:~ Admin$

But when i check what assigned to a blend file by using this code;
qlmanage -m | grep blend it seems to be assigned

MBP-Schroef:~ Admin$ qlmanage -m | grep blend
org.blender.blend -> /Users/romboutversluijs/Library/QuickLook/BlenderQuickLook.qlgenerator (1.0)
MBP-Schroef:~ Admin$

What i dont get is why when i do the forced check it says “generator used: none”

Im still on OSX 10.11.6 but i believe i had it working some time. Ive installed in ~/library/quicklook but also tried the main quicklook folder. None of them work. Ive also check “save previews” and turned off compress.

Because i noticed the issue about the c4d plugin i eventook that out but that didnt seemed to solve the issue

Man i have been fiddling with this for hours to now. I almost was about to gave up when i checked other file format and applications.

A lot of new apps come with build in ql generators which is really nice. I like the cinema 4d version which shows a html page even with all kind of info

Uploading: Screen Shot 2018-11-03 at 22.01.59.png…

I than when on and looked at the file structure in the plist of the apps. I had already tried this a couple times copying and adjusting code from the cinema4d and adding it to the plist in the blender.app
I couldnt get it to work.

I als tried a ql generator for indesign files, this also didnt work.

Than i looked at a generator for sketchup files i have and also the plist file in sketchup.

I copied these lines;

<key>CFBundleTypeOSTypes</key>
            <array>
                <string>skp</string>
            </array>
            <key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
            <string>Editor</string>
            <key>NSDocumentClass</key>
            <string>SketchUpDocument</string>

and commented out this in the blender app plist

<!--
			<key>CFBundleTypeRole</key>
			<string>Editor</string>
			<key>LSIsAppleDefaultForType</key>
			<true/>
			-->

Now it works again :slight_smile:

could you please share you file?)

Here’s a copy of mine, place it in the user folder. So hit CMD + SHIFT + G than copy/paste this line

~/library/quicklook/

Unzip the QL file in there and restart finder, it shoudl work now
BlenderQuickLook.qlgenerator_WORKING.zip (258.3 KB)

1 Like

awesome, thank you

Does not work in Big Sur( Help please

Excuse me, will anyone update this plugin to support 3.0 blender?

Its better to look on github and search for the repo. Perhaps someone will update, i dont know anything about this code language

1 Like

I got this working on macOS Ventura (13.0.1, Intel) by following some instructions suggested in one of the issues:

I tried moving the file from ~/Library/QuickLook to /Library/QuickLook and it seemed to work. But need to do it with sudo because that is a system directory.

Presumably this is because my mac does not trust the developer. After copying to /Library/QuickLook I force-refreshed the quick look cache by running:

qlmanage -r
qlmanage -r cache

And then reloading Finder by pressing ⌘+⌥+⎋ to bring up the force quick application dialog, selecting finder, and pressing the relaunch button (which usually says “Force Quit”).

so sad, but doesn’t work with Mac m1 macOS Ventura, please help