Blender Presets being collected for Blender.org

Such nice words. Perhaps you should go into politics. In both cases you are very wrong.

Crocadillian & TARDIS Maker Just pushed the patch to master that hides the 3D Cursor in paint modes (with exceptions) :slight_smile:

EDIT; Didn’t read that Severin already mentioned the cursor being hidden in sculpt mode, I guess we know by now that something getting rejected initially doesn’t always mean it’s set in stone.

Thanks, but it doesn’t do me much good. It’s mostly when I’m modelling that I want to hide it. I becomes annoying in the same way the manipulators are. Making me zoom in more than I would have to if it was hidden.

There are only a few small tasks where I use it.

1. To add objects (I would prefer in this case if it was locked and hidden so that I don’t have to worry about it)
  2. When using the spin tool (This happens quite infrequently)
  3. When I need the position of something to be the same as something else (such as making the camera in the same location as the first point in a path that it is following)

In all other cases, I would like to see it locked and hidden. Only render hides too much (stuff that is required to work with such as empties and lamps), but keeping it there or “clicking it out of the view”, just makes it get even more in the way because then it has to be dealed with when an object is added.

I hope you can at least consider my side of the story. It’s not a huge problem, but it can get in the way sometimes. I understand why you guys are against it, but I personally think that if it is implemented correctly, it wouldn’t be a problem.

Cursor hide:

import bpy
bpy.context.scene.cursor_location = (1e+007,1e+007,1e+007)

Save python file, open it with Script runner addon, add shortcut (RightClick), save user preferences.

I’d really like to see basic starter materials in Blender so we don’t need to reassemble the most common setups. These should be included in Vanilla Blender without the need to manage or download material libraries. I can’t think of one render engine that doesn’t have these things out-of-the-box. Simple materials like Diffuse/Glossy, Glossy Coating, Fast Glass, Metal, Plastic, Skin, etc.

When I’ve mentioned this before people immediately assume this would be an increase in file size… absolutely not. These would be just simple recipes that are meant to be added to and would only include the node connections (which add nothing to filesize) and procedural textures when necessary.

Not only would these be an added convenience but they’d also serve as learning tools to those who are new to Cycles or new to 3D.

For anyone that thinks that this isn’t necessary, then answer me why do we include mesh primitives…they could be saved in libraries or made from scratch every time as well.

Cursor hide:

import bpy
bpy.context.scene.cursor_location = (1e+007,1e+007,1e+007)

Save python file, open it with Script runner addon, add shortcut (RightClick), save user preferences.

Nice idea. Maybe you can extend the method by a hotkey toggle to put the 3d cursor back to 0,0,0 :slight_smile:

Problem with this approach is that for example new created primitives now creates at 1e+007,1e+007,1e+007. Best approach would be a hidden 3D cursor that can still act normal, but is simply invisible.

And we have of course the same arguments speaking against this method like against the patch. The absurd part is that the Blender mind police tries to permit hiding the 3D cursor at all. We can show and hide meshes, we can show and hide widgets, we can show and hide virtually everything, everything except the disturbing 3D cursor.

Works pretty good. Might need an exception for Grease Pencil though.

I know it probably isn’t your call, but I think the 3D Cursor should probably be split into multiple tools. Sort of like the ol’ Unix philosophy of doing one thing and doing it well. As it is, the 3D Cursor is used for so many different unrelated things it has to be in the way even when it’s not going to be used. The fact that it is really mediocre in how it handles many of the jobs it is designed to do doesn’t help either.

import bpy
cur = bpy.context.scene

if list(cur.cursor_location) == [0,0,0]:
    cur.cursor_location = (1e+007,1e+007,1e+007)
else:
    cur.cursor_location = (0,0,0)

Is thsi possible to set/lock Cursor+PivotPoint and manipulate as one ?

Code:

import bpy
cur = bpy.context.scene

if list(cur.cursor_location) == [0,0,0]:
cur.cursor_location = (1e+007,1e+007,1e+007)
else:
cur.cursor_location = (0,0,0)

Super Sexy! Great work :slight_smile:

Dupliverts, DupliFrames, DupliGroups, etc.:

When user clicks one of these options, there should be a check box to “hide original”. As it stands, the dupliverts feature doesn’t hide the original that 's being duplicated by default. It’s very hard to find out how to hide it, and soaks up a user’s time for no benefit.

Because it’s very, very likely that the user will want to hide the original, Blender’s interface should assume you’ll at least want to see that option right now, when you are clicking the dupliverts button, and right here, where it’s relevant, near the dupliverts buttons.

I agree, original shows even when display is set [x] Only Render.

I change cursor hotkey to “alt + middle mouse”. Then forget it untill i need it. It is like an indicator of the origin point. :slight_smile:

I have been looking at this problem for a long time. I really agree with you but the million dollar question is what materials and what quality? I am not sure we could find an answer that would make everyone happy. I personally really like PBS materials but they are a bit complicated for the beginner.

The devs are also working an a resource engine for blender to organize and share resources. I don’t know where that project is at. There is also a project by http://blendermada.com/ that is quite cool.

Douglas E Knapp
BlenderGameMaster.com