Blender gets new website

link below missing from new site?
http://builder.blender.org/download/

it used to be on the side of the download page of the latest official blender

Don’t forget the icing on the cake, a Blender themed virus that auto-downloads to your machine and spams your desktop with suzanne icons and then scrambles the pixels of the ones for your commercial 3D apps. (if something that unprofessional doesn’t send Blender into the FOSS graveyard then I don’t know what will). :smiley:

I really don’t remember the old site very well…I only used it occasionally, mostly to download the latest release.

But it was Ok, and useable. The new site just annoys me.

(removed comment)

Later…just took another look at it…maybe I just need some time to adjust…may even come to
like it eventually. :wink:

More Later …to be honest, it’s a decent design…just not what I would have preferred.
I’m almost over the shock already.

There’s a flurry of activity on the bf-webcontent
group, and expect it will be working smoothly soon.

My only suggestion is to make the logo 3~4x larger and the banner 2~3x smaller.
Maybe make the logo semi-transparent over the banner. :cool:

@larryphilips: thanks.

Thanks, diet coke doesn’t feel good coming out my nose like that! Too funny!

On further contemplation I think it would also be nice if we had BonziBuddy come out unsolicited and give you helpful hints about the website, or fun and random trivia facts, like Clippy.

Something like this? :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.angelfire.com/super/badwebs/

http://www.onyxtree.com/

And that’s an ACTUAL 3D tool website

Ashamed to say it took me this long to go take a look at it, but it’s lovely. Great job on the design and the transfer over. I like the bright look if for no reason than for variety’s sake.Not that the old site was ugly or anything. I changed my Blender Artists preference to white a long time ago so perhaps it wasn’t quite that much of a shock to me.

Where is the link to buildBot on the download page or in the site anywhere? I can’t find it but I may be looking the wrong places.

Link on this page http://www.blender.org/get-involved/developers/ under ‘Test Upcoming Features’

Thank you very much Richard. Buried a little deep but since I had known where to go before I was a bit lost. Thanks again.

Still no gallery…
on the features pages, the image for photo-realistic rendering could be better imo…
and then I scroll down, and there are a bunch of blenderugru images and links… that seems odd, and not to insult Andrew, but there are better examples out there imo.

ctadabomb has a great point which brings me to… Why hasn’t someone made a Blender Gallery site. A stand alone site that can act as an art gallery of the finest works created thus far. Something along the lines of what Blender Cookie has done with the new book? I personally love the new look of the official Blender site. It was long over due for this upgrade.

What really makes me sad about the new website is the dealing with the game engine.

In the tutorials section it has been moved to the very last point and reduced to just two videos.

What is even worse is the features section

The first feature in the list concerning the bge says: “Ability to port your models to any third-party game engine”
-> Thats a No-No
Besides the fact that this is not a feature of the game engine this doesn’t cast a positive light on the bge at all.
The old featurelist was way more detailed.

There still isn’t much that shows the power of blender and what it is capable of. There are several ways to do this imo.

1. get a gallery. Whenever I (and probably a lot of people) want to know what a software or something does, I look for a gallery to see what it is capable of.
  2. put a link to the demoreel somewhere more obvious than at the bottom of the features page. Maybe even embed the video at the top of that page or somewhere?
  3. get some better screenshots for the features page. The current one could be improved fairly easily.

Right now i feel like the website does not do a very complete job at showing off blender.