Blender gets new website

I agree. Maybe I’m just stupid, but I didn’t even realise there was content below it until I read this post I’m quoting. I thought, “that was a header image…?” and went back to scroll down >.>

I see what you mean however you have to consider that the header will be the main thing that either makes a new user stay or go when they first visit the website. It kind of makes sense that end results are shown off in all their glory. If anything I would say that the ‘About’ page example header was a little on the small side… but that’s just personal preference.

Aside from that, looks really nice. The layout certainly makes it seem more modern and up to date. Nice work Blender Foundation! :smiley:

Any knews?

Soon, it seems:

• There’s also work being done to swap the www.blender.org website with the new staging.blender.org one. Even though the latter is not finished, switching it might give a bit more incentives and energy to then do it after all!

Sweet! Looks like good things are happening.

The new site is now live http://www.blender.org/

Nice lookin’ site. I feel trendy-er already. Good job, BF!

It burns ussss!!!

Is there a dark theme?

Other than that, cool.

While I do think the image banner could be a little smaller, it does seem like a truly refreshing change from the old website, looks to me like the new web presence is very much inline with that of the commercial solutions and in this case can be considered a good thing.

I do like the line ‘your own 3D software’, sure makes a nice rebuttal to the increasing momentum of having people on rental plans or subscriptions (people tend to have enough in the way of monthly expenses as is). Perhaps there should be a small article on what it means to have ‘your own 3D software’ and why you might like it over today’s commercial licensing plans.

Abstract header!!! LOVE it!! :smiley: About time abstract gets some lovin’! Great fresh look, I think :slight_smile:

Looks lovely, but that’s kind of lame copy in the Get Involved pane. “Blender is being actively developed by hundreds of active volunteers from all around the world.” I understand we want people to know that this program’s development is still active, but I think a thesaurus may be in order here. :stuck_out_tongue:

Image banner could definite stand to be reduced in size a bit. On an HD laptop screen, at first glance you can’t even tell that there’s anything else on the main page.

EDIT: And not a single feature video or mention of Cycles on the feature page? Seems like more than an oversight to me… I’ll talk to devs about creating some nice feature vids to show off workflows.

Looks awesome!

Is it possible somehow to link this website’s Gallery to a gallery on the blender.org site? I know that one of my biggest motivations starting out was seeing what the software was capable of. Also I agree there should be a donation button on the mainpage or at least something to elude to the fact that the project needs funds to keep it moving forward.

It was also mentioned that features should be on the frontpage, I’d even say “getting started” (videos) should have a link from there as well. This would help dispel the myth that Blender has no proper documentation.

Anyway certainly a MASSIVE improvement:) Great job everyone!

Content-wise, it’s mostly a copy of the old site, hence why there’s a lack of current content and features. I believe this is partly intentional, as Ton mentioned recently, the switch to the new design would spur further development of the site.

I like it, very clean look but could use just a bit more cowbell.

Clean and organized, great work guys. The cyan in the typography is a bit too bright for my eyes though.

wops just made a duplicate thread in discussion, well well that header is aamazing.

had an idea to visually connect other open source projects/libs with blender that are in use. maybe a shout out to others to connect their libs with blender :slight_smile:

no…

• when you realize that one came to visit for info on software, news, maybe new gallery images, proper feature list, wiki, tutorials, dev & tech achievements, so on… this page sucks big (compared to previous)
  • big images are for gallery, header is called a header for a reason (it’s not a whole page),
  • writings over images are disrupting & confusing (mainly for movie arts)
  • too bright (monitors are not made of paper) wish for a darker theme (at least an option - my eyes hurt with bright themes, even worse at night… this forum theme is nice, but would prefer also other options (orange, red, blue, cyan, green, magenta… on light, medium or dark grey)
  • i just lost interest… to much clicking & moving around
  • ehhh disappointment…

… thankfully relieved by this forum

it appears all the old release notes have been removed. does anyone know is there is a directory from which they can still be accessed?

great work, gtz !

• is the old forum down ?

• and… its possible -for visitors- to change site theme for a dark one ?