Blender Feature Film "Kiribati"

+100!!!

How the HELL indeed?!!

They are probably testing the Motion blur GSOC branch.

I haven’t been able to get that to compile.

I read the notes on that branch. It’s currently about 10x slower than a normal render, but the coder is planning lots of optimization before pencils down. I sincerely hope someone can pick up the torch after GSOC and continue optimizing and production testing (as well as making sure it works with everything like hair and particles. This is probably my single most anticipated feature in cycles! My fingers remain crossed.

Okay, got it to build with Scons! it is really slow in some cases but… WE HAVE DEFORMATION MOTION BLUR!!

Indy, can you test def blur with hair, fur and particles and see if it works?

Just FYI: Unfortunately the GSoC student won’t manage to complete the project - but Brecht will give it high priority to do it, this fall.

This is the best news of the summer! I also need def moblur like crazy. I think flocks of animators (me included) want to break free of AD products for good. Fingers crossed and bugs reported till then, Go Kiribati crew, you’re an inspiration!

Awesome news!! Thanks for the update, Ton!

Well, it does and it doesn’t. It seems to try and render hair but I can’t wait that long to find out if it’s really working or not. I have a scene with a character doing a walk cycle. She has a full head of hair. When I rendered one of the frames, it took 51:20 and it was still rendering the fourth and fifth tiles of her head. 15:36 of that was just in updating the object and calculating the BVH. What’s even worse is that I have the scene separated out into render layers for the character, the background and the hair. It was only rendering the first layer. So, only the shadows cast on the head from the hair… :eek:

Don’t be discouraged though. This is only the first version of it and it’s super raw and un-optimized. It would be totally unfair to make any kind judgement at this point. If you need to use it in the next few months I would only try it with non hair/fur characters. :wink:

It’s only a theory at the moment but so far in my tests it seems that it suffers the most from overlapping geometry. before I tried to render the scene with hair turned on, I rendered it with mblur on but without the hair. It definitely takes about 10 times longer (or more) but there were tiles that took much longer to render than the rest. The worst was the hands. But only when the fingers were at an angle to the camera where they were over lapping. It’s true too that there’s more blur on that part of the body than any other because of the swinging motion of the arms. However, that doesn’t seem to make it that much worse because at other points in the scene the fingers are flat on to the camera (non-overlapping) and it renders just fine (relatively at least). So basically, hair seems to be the absolute worst case. It’s constant overlapping geometry.

I’ll post more about all this in another thread in the next few days when I have time.

BTW, I have a Mac OS X (10.5) build if anyone is interested.

I would love to try it out on my mac. Is it a 64-bit version? Thanks!

• Exactly, we have tried the GSoC branch. -

Here is a (http://kiribatithemovie.com/development/) we did of Cycles features needed to make the film.
If you are a developer, and don’t know how to make Blender better, this list could inspire you.
If you are an user, and like to see some of the features implemented share the list with you developer friend!

[LIST]

• Include Group - Exclude Group on Lamps
  • Subsurface scattering on GPU
  • Custom Render Pass
  • Deformation Motion Blur
  • Non-Progressive integrator

[See the complete list

](http://kiribatithemovie.com/development/)

Custom Render Pass

Yes! This is something I’ve been trying to figure out the right way to do for a long time. What I was thinking though is to have a render layers outputs node. The benefit of having them be layers and not passes is that you have more control over how they interact with the rest of the layers better (exclude and matte layers are great!) and you also have control over the number of samples per layer as well. I don’t really ever use passes because I find the render layers system to be more robust.

by the way, you can do light exclusion with render layers too. Each character can have their own light setup on its own scene layer. Then, in the character’s render layer, you just enable the scene layer with its own lighting on it. Render layers are a gift from heaven. :slight_smile:

[EDIT] okay, I read the full list and I think I understand. You want to avoid using the compositor? In that case, I think they should implement both. :wink:

Testing Volumetrics with Cycles and GPU.
Amazing the speed Blender grows!

It looks really good!
I see a great cast for the voices in this movie.
Good luck with this project!
Saludos.

Gracias YAFU!! :slight_smile:

Testing SSS on GPU, we are really exited!!!

SSS is available on the GPU?

Thanks,that was helpful!

We are testing Blender Multiview for Stereoscopy, take a look! :cool:

Nice Work! I hope Your Animated feature does well at the Cinemas in Argentina. Argentina Artist are at the foerfront in making Full Production Animated Features made with Blender.