Blender Astromonkey

very nice work! Top row material. Nice workflow and approach! I hope you do try Hard Ops.

Make a fake account, commit with it, you will still get credits on that name, many writers, in pass, have done so :wink:

To op I enjoyed the level of details congrats for the effort :slight_smile:

Agreed! Brilliant work. Moving to the gallery.

@cgstrive, Iā€™m intrigued by your Python add-ons for adding the modifiers. In the GIF you showed it looked like you added modal mouse input for immediate adjusting the Array/Solidify distances. If this is true, is that something youā€™d be willing to shed more light on?

Ok, so my timing was out by a few days :evilgrin:

I think this is one of the best things ever to come on Blender Artists, at least the best Iā€™ve seen (Iā€™ve been there for a year now).

Please tell me youā€™re gonna fully rig and animate it.

This creature and its design belong in a big movie.

Great job!! Nice!!! :slight_smile: 5 stars

congrats on your top row!

Finally :slight_smile: I was wondering why this is not going to the top row. Well deserved!

this is really astonishing, a tutorial on some of the steps including houdini would be ultra awesome! I am truely inspired for a week right now :slight_smile:

Good colour combination. I like it!

Can you possibly upload a small piece?

Iā€™ve tried replicating your boolean method without much luck, figured it would be easier to study a piece then to ask a ton of questions.

excellent. iā€™m seeing more Predator than monkey though.

Man no word this is really cool.

Congratulation. Incredible workflow.

You need to make a mini tutorial on your workflow more! Love that gif but a small tutorial with voice over would cause this thread to explode :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, nice piece. Love how it all fits together!

Absolutely love this excellent piece of work! :yes:

Keep it up!

Oh boyā€¦never been in a tough spot(light) like that! Without sounding melodramatic I do want to express gratitude for the feature and just say that itā€™s greatest honor simply to have been noted by some of the legendary coders and artists that I respect so much!

I am grateful to each and everyone of the replies! Thank You!

Hereā€™s a bit simplified 7mb shoulder piece that encapsulates a lot of the workflow:
http://cgstrive.com/blender/shoulder.blend

Please note: Blender 2.76 + is required with new BMESH Booleans, you will get mesh errors with older versions of Blender. You can grab latest version of Blender here (with Bmesh booleans): https://builder.blender.org/download/

It should look like this when opened:

These are modal operators, hacked together pretty fast so anyone curious use at own risk. Click on icon to DL (right click->save as):

USAGE:

1. edit first lines of .py file to as it auto assigns HOTKEY to SOLIDIFY (currently ā€œVā€) and Bevel (currently ā€œBā€)
  2. either run in text editor or copy to scripts/startup
  • Arrays can be called either typing ā€œarrā€ or ā€œcarrā€ in operator search bar (just 2 letters does the trick)
  • Please note that Circle Array requires pivot offset. Someone smarter than me should eliminate that need.

It is my hope that someone can further refine and get more practical use out of them that can be of benefit for community!

///
Hereā€™s additional script that I wanted to showcase that is very helpful with panels, edges. Itā€™s done with pyQT. Any curve can be serialized into profile instantly - .txt light file is created. Icons are ā€œrenderedā€ live by pyQT using the .txt coordinates.

Since itā€™s pyqt itā€™s not so easy to share with community as several dependencies need to be installed. I hope in future such asset can be created using native Popups that support icons.

//////

Hope some of it was of any help!

Thanks again! Happy blendering!

awesome awesome thread haha. This is the hottest thread. Assimilation overload. Hard Ops and it operatives thanks you.

i dream of having those curve bevels as modo bevels with an option to click points to make a specific bevel. Then the girls will cry.