Blender and the new Unreal engine 4

There many things I can do now,

I can’t really think of anything I can’t do in the bge. however the issue is the cost per item.

Ue4 - the render, what is different about it then the bge?

since you can use the source, if you pay a subscription, could the render be imported into blender?

then if you use it pay ue4 the royalty?

I’m not saying Goran’s post wasn’t valid, because it was. I personally just didn’t like the way this was steering, as I’d prefer not to take over this thread in an argument about languages that was quickly becoming slightly heated, when the original post was about UE4. I apologize if I offended anyone, but I’d just like to stick with the topic here, as I noticed it wasn’t going in a good direction, even if that was no one’s intent.
Goran, I do believe I mentioned that your comment is valid, because it is. I’m not too proud to admit that you obviously know more than me, but I’m also one to stick by my ideals. I have seen your posts before, and you obviously know what you’re talking about. Please do not mistake me, and I won’t mistake you.
Riyuzakisan, I’ve used your free scripts endlessly, and you’re obviously quite good at what you do, but I feel that even a master of Python would have something to learn from C++, C, and C#. :wink:
On the original topic, I believe that the built-in exporter to Unreal does not work for UE4. Undoubtedly by 2.7.1, they’ll have an updated exporter.
Thanks for mediating.

With UE4 you could make photoreal games, but what about cell-shaded, i guess they have some shaders for it?
Are they going to kill UDK, cos i dont see a reason for it?
I have some doubts that some devs will be able to produce a finished product with UE4.

well me and my team are sure going to try, right now its everything we can do to try and figure out how to create custom collisions and export them. but its only a matter of time. if anyone figures out how to create custom collisions please let me know, still cant walk through the passage way’s we created. the collision setting engulf the whole mesh and we need to be able to walk down the center, the only other way i know to get around this issue is to create each panel separately and that would take up to much information.

I’m not entirely certain of the new mechanics of UE4, if that’s what you’re asking, but I’m assuming they have plenty of free resources for it. In my little experience in using it, using and making shaders is quite easy.
UDK I believe, is already gone.
I have full certainty that UE4 within the next few updates will be quite ready for game development. If you’ve seen any of it, it’s not quite polished yet, but it’s an incredible leap from what we saw in UE3. I’m expecting we’ll see some amazing work coming out of not only professional developers, but also in indie developers within the next few years. Growing hardware improvements as well as these amazing software improvements we see in UE4 are allowing some truly phenomenal games to be developed.

I would concur that point. You can only benefit from learning more languages (This is true throughout life, and education).
BluePrintRandom - the source is available, but it doesn’t mean we can copy it. It is highly improbable that Epic would release their renderer as GPL, even if we ignore the fact that we would find it difficult to integrate with Blender anyway (we share a lot of Blender interfaces and data).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I did not mean GPL, I meant paying for a copy of the subscription, and only allowing the render if it’s payed for, same price.

like a paid add on,

I think they care about $$ most.

I don’t think Epic is going to allow anyone to copy their code into another engine because, for one thing, you have to pay the subscription to get access to it (so they would probably have their lawyers on the ready if they caught BGE users using their technology in the code).

There is indeed the theoretical possibility that someone might try to copy their code and release it as FOSS, but they would likely be sued to oblivion real quick.

That would be a copyright violation, but that doesn’t mean you can’t learn from the source code and implement the same ideas into another engine.

From their FAQ page:

• 	Can I copy and paste the Unreal Engine code into my own project or engine?  		 		If you use any Unreal Engine code in your product (even just a  little), then your entire product is governed by the EULA, and royalties  are due.

• 	Can I study and learn from the Unreal Engine code, and then utilize that knowledge in writing my own game or competing engine?  		 		Yes, as long as you don’t copy any of the code. Code is copyrighted, but knowledge is free!

As Agoose mentioned, there would be the difficulty of integrating that knowledge into Blender.

If you use any Unreal Engine code in your product (even just a little), then your entire product is governed by the EULA, and royalties are due.

that is what I said,

Pay the royalties,

so like a add-on for blender, that costs the same as the other engine.
Maybe even 6$ more per month, with a portion going to blender.org

Then i guess at the end of the year will see UE4 in more matured state. :slight_smile: But im still wondering if the c++ and blueprint will do the trick for everyone(i only looked briefly at the coding docs).
There is no need to use unreal renderer since there is already Ogre3d and it supports Deferred rendering. just fix the interfaces and write the shaders.

I haven’t had any issues with uv’s overlapping except ofcourse for the lightmap uv’s, you obviously need nonoverlapping uv’s for that.

The FBX does indeed give an error but I haven’t noticed any drawbacks with it yet, except maybe that it doesn’t import the materials or textures as it does from Max.

Interesting, So there is no way you will even get close to something like “Jackii’s rig” in UE4

This Will never be possible in
UE4 ?

( I need to use OBS my screen cap is laggilishus)

Edit->
Wait, I dug deeper - https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Resources/ContentExamples/Physics/1_2/index.html

i saw this and have been trying to figure out how to make it work, says it has to be exported FBX format, I also hit the epic forum and found a few tutorials on how this was accomplished with UDK but the new engine does not use the same settings, today i plan on attempting to reach out to Epic and see if they could not implement a collision that follow the models surface with an option to reset the direction of the collision map.

SkeletalMeshes can only be created with external software like 3D Studio Max or Maya, however, their collision is setup in Unreal Editor. Upon import a physics asset can be automatically created if Create PhysicsAsset is checked. But, the asset created will be an estimation based on the joints and skin weights applied to those joints, so some editing is necessary by using the Physics Asset Tool or PhAT.

@Riyuzakisan got it i was exporting as ucx when i should have been exporting it as UCX yes there is a difference in naming the files. and thanks man for your help rereading that helped.

Blender to UE4:

I’ve had some success importing skeletal meshes as well. You have to account for the Blender 90 degree rotation error though. I think it’s going to be fixed in the next fbx exporter though.

On another note, I’ve been evaluating Maya LT, and even though they are allowing mel scripting in the 2015 release, the UE4 rigging tools won’t work since they are scripted in python.

I also took a subscription to Unreal 4 and am enjoying it. I haven’t imported anything from Blender because I want to build things playable first. Like most people, I can spend all of my time making assets and then realize that my game actually sucks so I leave that until after I have something decently playable. I find that making and importing assets is actually the EASY part of game development.

Kevin G… you can always use Autodesk FBX Converter which is free and super easy to use. Just drag and drop the fbx file you got out of Blender into left side of the gui and it will spit out a new version of the fbx for you in it’s own folder. You might start running into trouble with the old format when exporting animation.

Have you guys seen the Maya animations tools for Unreal 4? Someone asked on their forum if they could write the same tools for Blender but the coder stated that it took him 2+ years to make those tools for Maya so probably not. :frowning:

@electricsauce

I saw somewhere a tutorial on how to get the latest fbx exporter into Blender 2.7… I’ll look around for it but supposedly it exports the latest fbx and fixes some other issues. You should give that a try!