Blender 2.8: development plan

Oh you were volunteering…

I thought you were just begging for a developer to create something for you.

“If you can’t restrain yourself, try to limit your mails to our mailing lists to one per week. Tops. Note how other (real) contributors stay silent now. Don’t mail. Please.”

I don’t know how to become a dev if I am not treated like a equal.

I am not “Real”

It’s just frustrating
and users of the software have insight that a dev may not have.

I am nice to the newest of newbs. Be they 40 or 14. In the game engine section.

I don’t imply they are not real coders.

@BPR
Ouch…

I think the problem you’re facing is that you’re posting into the blender committer what is essentially a suggestion like the Blender devs probably recieve/read by dozen daily.
This is probably what you should have posted in their “funboard” mail list instead of the committer one.
http://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-funboard

Now if you had added some patch/diff/whatever they’re calling those pieces of code to illustrate your proposal, this would indeed have been way different from the dozen of suggestions they recieve daily, and then certainly would have been taken much more seriously.
So next time, do what they expect coding contributors to do : post code for your proposals and you will certainly have different results in their committer mail list

If you want more help, then you should look at the channels designed just for that

BA’s own Blender development forum for instance

And the IRC chat channel where you can get help by Campbell and others.

Truth be told though, you do kind of make a bit of noise about Wrectified even on the mailing lists (which is far and away the most advertised game project in the history of the Blender community) and various feature ideas that you repeat over and over and over again. More recently it’s advertising gimmicks that wouldn’t really be all practical in a serious production environment (turning the Blender UI into a set of 3D objects on a virtual desk for instance, are you aware of the failed Microsoft Bob product?)

<deleted by wellerankanto to be pasted where it’ll make more sense>

The BF-committers thread isn’t what I’m talking about. It’s the reply that you quoted, from this thread you’re reading now, that I’m talking about: “It’s just a color border.”

That’s not a dig at fdfxd. I just want to point out that enhancing the usability and ease of use are not unimportant. I think they’re more important, for a few big issues like the ones I mentioned. It’s not just a color border. It’s a user trying to make blender easier to use. That doesn’t attract volunteers, maybe because it’s not fun work, but it’s important and deserves more respect from us, here, than that.

This not a defense of BPR’s effort. Just please don’t dismiss an improvement suggestion so flippantly, folks. It’s not just a color border.

Right now blender is like the Hole Hawg drill. Super powerful but it’ll take your arm off if you don’t know how to use it.

I have worked on wrectified for 2 years, and all art will all be Creative Commons 4.0 By , and most of thr code will be Creative Commons 0,

and buying wrectified will basically be donating to bge development…

All proceeds are to go to developing the game engine,
that said, I can’t find a developer to even sign onto doing it,
hypotheticaly if the game can actually provide enough income for a fulltime dev.

Purchased greenlight ability last night, I am going to work art/levels for about a week and then put it up on steam now that its pretty much 100% coded as everything is based on modular reusable object based coding.

I hope it works,
but I am having trouble
interacting with the BF foundation…

I know I am spammy, but I also code my face off for free for alot of projects,
(if you dont frequent the game engine section you probably would not know)

I am a front end bge developer.

People use my resources in their games,

some of my resources are rated 5 stars by the community…

simple mouse generates x,y properties from the mouse,
that can be snagged via logic or python.

my most recent version sets the properties in a target actor that you just name by setting the property target,

My lift drag and drop script is rated 5 stars and in BlenderRenderSky’s island demo, which looks amazing btw.

I work really really hard to bridge the gap between the blender foundation and game engine users.

The only thing I am getting out of wrectified, is reusable modular templates for my future games on steam.

You are working on your own game? cool I thought you were like 60% of people of the internet where they just say things but never actually do.

I have some free time to create the shaders if you want any help with that.

You’re not a BGE developer in the literal sense (otherwise that’s trying to make others believe you’ve created new functionality in the source itself). You’re the developer of a game made with the BGE and a resource maker (that is making systems that use Python to make it easier for others to do some gameplay mechanics).

I know I am spammy, but I also code my face off for free for alot of projects,

That doesn’t entitle you to repeat and advertise things over and over again as long it doesn’t actually happen. You don’t see a lot of other veteran Blender users (who have worked tirelessly on hundreds of images and personal short movies) doing the same thing, do you? When you look at the situation here, there’s no reason to play the victim card.

That’s not a dig at fdfxd. I just want to point out that enhancing the usability and ease of use are not unimportant.

Tons says in the discussion that he would prefer to go bigger and have a complete overhaul of the logic system to something more modern than SCA (which in this case probably means a node-system, something that is becoming standard-issue with a lot of game creation solutions).

@Piotr Adamowicz the first time I download blender was when I was about 11 I think if I could do it then high schoolers can do it

You must have developed a psychological disorder that makes every bit of perceived inconvenience a personal insult to you - maybe you should look for treatment?

Do you really want to help? I very much doubt it, but if you do, you could start with not misrepresenting the work of manual maintainers like that. It’s extremely frustrating.

Everyone involved with the Wiki transition is well aware of the tradeoffs. They’re explicitly asking for help and they’re willing to directly help anyone get up to speed with the new system. Yes, there’s a higher barrier of entry for users, but there’s also drastically improved maintenance and quality control.

You want more people to support blender? Maybe you don’t, I dunno, but if you do, show them some courtesy instead of baffling them with a stinking grey button that says “F” on it. Respect the new user and his problems.

Speaking strictly for myself, I’d prefer you kept your “support” to yourself and go somewhere else. Blender needs support, but not at any price.

Ppl… isn’t this really getting off topic?

Hi @BPR,

I hope explain me well as I’m not a native english. I think that the reactions that you are receiving from other developers (in this case or I remembered the old BGE meeting at IRC, etc) are due to a different focus between you and them. I explain it with a current example:

• Ton is asking for a big BGE design change involving that the BGE uses the viewport renderer, the blender physics code and a new logic system (nodify or whatever).
  • You are proposing a new features (logic brick color, hide by color, etc). Although we are all agreed that they are very good and necessary, they are only new features over a run down system.
  • Moguri told you that instead of add these features over current logic brick system will be better to port the SCA system over the node system. This way, we will have your requested features (logic brick color, etc) and other ones by free. In case of we need a special feature we could code into the node system and it will benefit also the rest of blender users.
  • Ton replied that it was a good idea but he wants go futher (improve SCA system or implement a new/modified/combined one).

This is a comunication problem. They have not anything against you. Simply, you are doing proposals about new features and the rest is doing proposals about modify the BGE design. They are 2 different levels. (i.e. you are talking about to buy a new small sofa to adapt it to our small room and they are talking about remodel our room to make it bigger and confortable. Which sofa to buy comes later).

Yeah, I guess if they actually do it that would be great, my problem is that I can’t impliment a new nodal system,

and I have not seen them focus any paid effort on the bge, so it makes me think (fix what you can on what is)

if your going to code the new logic system, or Tristan or goose or? as long as it gets done,

I know I am polishing the titanic but I can do just about anything right now using SCA. so it kinda scares me
that we are going a new direction. but not all change is bad I guess.

tonight I made a drone enemy that actually flies, and keeps it’s self up right using thrust and math alone.

Nice, but it is just another workaround. Having hundreds of empties in your scene and not knowing which belongs to which object does not make the selection much easier. Hundreds of empties also adds a lot of visual clutter in the viewport. I would like to concentrate on the design itself but Blenders scene management does not help much.

BPR, ask yourself why such replies. Really. You really crossed the line becoming somewhat noisy. I know you have good intentions but if everyone starts filling mailing lists and forums with their pet projects, it would turn into a big pile of sh**. No offence.

More important, with all the goodies mentioned and great plans listed in the blog post by Ton, we’re here speaking about the BGE dinosaur…which to my understanding, it’s not even considered a target in a way to become the next unreal engine, but instead as a part of a real-time, pbr based and more generic pipeline.

The plans for the engine, greatly underestimate its current potential,

If it were more performant on the draw, I could not really ask for more,
except the ability to port to android,

have you seen wrectified? I have done some pretty neat gameplay mechanics and now its venturing into production and out of tech demo status,

I would like to see the game engine game developers paying for game engine development, so… lead by example…
I can now code just about any game in a week,

I can litterally accomplish everything I have tried in the engine,

I think you’re onto something there. I’ve been super grouchy and critical for months now. I am feeling just the way you described.

In the future, I’ll try to restrict my participation here to just asking for help, and I’ll try to keep my ideas to myself.

Here is my opinion about Blender 101:

I suspect that when people are asking for Blender 101, they aren’t necessarily asking about Blender that is stripped down (which is bad for several reasons), but a Blender that is easy to use. In my opinion it is possible to make Blender easy to use for the basic stuff, by implementing following changes, without doing any major harm to the advanced users, by implementing them in a way that can be hidden/customized:

• Providing GUI elements for all basic functionality. For instance: operations on UV’s can be done only via keyboard shortcuts -> add a manipulator to the UV Editor. Toolbar is just a bunch of tool names -> add descriptive icons, double the size. A lot of important functionality is hidden (in menus, or only in shortcuts) -> add them to the toolbars with icons (there is enough space now thanks to tabs).
  • Make default keymap (mostly selection) more standard (see the rSelection add-on).
  • Add RMB menu (see rRMB add-on).
  • Add cycles material presets, environment presets etc.
  • Add some instructional materials for basic functionality (selecting, transforming, adding objects etc)
  • (Optional) - revamp topbar. Already touched a bit by Julian.

A proposition on how the GUI can become customizable (so the long time users can revert some of these changes) was once touched in the toolbar GSOC. Another is by me here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ScPMbHv8WRCU2znB7IU2l-W9hH-NLs5weQKLkjqmgpA/edit#heading=h.ksohiz4ytrsj