Blander 2.73 does NOT export 3ds WITH textures!!

Would it hurt to include an “undo” operation in Blender in case you mess up??? seems there isn’t one

when you say rename the textures, do you mean rename them within Blender itself or rename the actual files and point blender to them?

I renamed them AND changed the source image STILL NO TEXTURES!!! and sketch-up STILL says that they are missing textures!!! I feel like I am getting the runaround here!!!

I see how you are… JUST LIKE EVERY HELP FORUMS ON THE INTERNET!!! you DITCH ME and leave my topic UNRESOLVED!!!

Well, let’s have a look.
You got the first answer to your question 22 minutes(!) after your initial post. In the following 5 hours you received additional eight answers with detailed instructions on how to solve your issue - despite your constant SHOUTING!! and antagonizing.

But it’s becoming obvious that you apparently have no experience with Blender at all (perhaps even with 3D in general), which prevents you from following the instructions you were given. I understand that this is frustrating. But the true reason for your frustration is that you bit off more than you can chew. Blender is no simple file format converter after all, but a highly sophisticated 3D application. This requires that you know what to do and that you do your homework on covering the basics of material and texture usage in Blender and the limitations of the ancient file format you insist on using. A forum can’t spoon feed everything to you.

So, stop snapping at us and start learning. You’re in charge.
If you have questions, ask kindly and politely and you will find help. But continue behaving like a brat and this forum will be a lonely place. Quite frankly, if you’ve shown the same behaviour in those other communities you talk about, I find it not that surprising that they refused to help you any further.

Exporting 3ds to sketchup:

1. texture names with less than 8 digits.
  2. Maximum faces (triangles only) per mesh = 64 k (32k quads)
  3. Texture files should be in the same directory with the 3ds.

Optionally for sketchup:
Try to export as .dae file.
It works. Without the above limitations.
However, you may experience some crashes in sketchup, trying to edit these meshes.
A sketchup buggy thing.

edit:
googling around for a blender to sketchup tutorial,
found this:
http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorials/sketchup-and-blender/blender-to-sketchup-a-workaround-for-texturing-organic-shapes/

funny, I wrote it (LOL) years ago.

And if none of above works for you, mate, honestly, open new blender file, and import meshes there, add materials/textures to them there, and then export them. I spent last two hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong exporting my file (every single program apart from blender couldn’t see the texture), and after trying everything (honestly, everything) in desperation I opened a new Blender file and just tried to export my model from there. It worked beatifully. And It’s a mystery to me why (I export files mostly to OBJ on a daily basis, as I do models for 3D printing as my secondary job, and for the first time had such a hard time exporting mesh with a texture to obj).