BGMC 14 | Jetpack platformer

Wow a really cool game for just one week of work(even if it for sure was a hard week)! Congratulations, i like it a lot, espacially the graphic style and the animations. It was a bit hard at the beginning to get used to the controls. And i was not far away of giving up after dying several times at spikes at the beginning before you get the jetpack. But yes after that learing experience it was quiet enjoyable.

Thanks, I’ve made an expanded version with 3 levels and slight texture and gameplay upgrades.
I’ll upload it tomorrow. It was a lot of fun to make, and yes it was quite a hard week of work, but I still enjoyed it. :slight_smile:

Nice Graphics and rebindable keys, Nice Feature!
I can move in the game though the jump is very delayed and sometimes she doesn´t jump at all, which makes it impossible for me to get up any tiles.
Maybe I´ll give it another try later.

Thanks, I’ll be adjusting the jump timing and shooting timing a little in the newer version. The jump key is a tap key, which means tapping it once makes you jump, but holding it down doesn’t do anything. Also if you are too close to a wall it won’t jump. It uses a ray to check your position. I’m making a short tutorial level for the new version which illustrates all these problems.

Sadly I didn’t have enough time in the competition to fully cover all eventualities.

I’ve just finished a new version with some improvements as suggested by people who played. Thanks for all your feedback.
3 new levels added too.

You can get the file here.

Nice work with this, looks more like a complete game instead of a small mini game.

Based on the footage, I suggest some more fast-paced game-play. For this kind of game it would really help. Such as faster animation loops and fast physics, like jump/falling doesn’t take as long.

That would be a cool game, but it would be a different game to the one I made.
Faster movement would require bigger levels, which would require more props, items and enemies it fill it up.

With only a week to make the game I had to make a compromise. Otherwise I’d still be making the game now. :slight_smile:

I just played the final version. I f-ing LOVE it !!! its brilliant. Thanks for such a nice game :smiley:

Thanks, did you get far? I’m worried I made it a bit difficult, or that in trying to tone down the difficulty I made it too easy. :slight_smile:

So, I played your game on day 1, and hands down, you get my vote for first,

however, some things that could make the game great…

Charge bar for jump, like golf games, you can change jump power, and angle while charging,

Prince of Persia moves->

1. Climb up wall you are pressed against and grab ledge

2. jump and grab ledge and hang

3. Combat -> melee, some enemies should be immune to projectiles, and require skilled sword-fighting like prince of Persia 1

4. sprint , sprint slide, sprint jump

with these additions , some story, and some Alt weapons and abilities, I could see this on steam greenlight.

I just tried for a minute. The problem I have are the controls. You should be using arrow keys for movement

Another idea, heat seeking missile launchers to prevent jet usage in areas, even if you have it.

You can change the controls in the option screen. :slight_smile: the code uses direct keyboard input to map the keys so whichever key you asign should work in game.

@BPR thanks, I really enjoyed making a side on platform game and I’ll probably make a new game using some ideas from this one. I’ve got an idea for a side on platformer with RPG elements, kind of like a point and click adventure game with jumping and block destruction/pushing.

Yeah, now it is much easier for me to control. I started playing and it’s getting addictive. Good Job.

digiman

I started playing and came across two problems, one compromising:

1 - game running within 10 FPS
2 - And the following bug described in the video.

According to the profile, animations constantly consume 90% of the processing, and sometimes the FPS drops to 3.

I tried three time and the same bug was repeated.
Ps .: It has no cheat code for infinite life? :smiley:

My specs:
CPU: AMD FX ™ -6300 Six-Core Processor, 3516 MHz
Motherboard: Chipset nVIDIA nForce 7025-630a
System Memory: 8176 MB
Video Adapter: AMD Radeon HD 6670 (1024 MB)

Hi, thanks for playing.
I don’t know why you got such low FPS. My computer is not that great, but I usually got 60fps with this game.
Did you have anything in the console? Usually if there’s a bug that’s draining performance it can be tracked down there.

The bug of getting stuck on top of a robot is something I couldn’t find a good fix for in the time allocated to making the game. As an idea I though about just removing the character and replacing them with a fountain of blood… :slight_smile:
No, actually I just tried to add a force to the character to move them away from the robot, but as you can see, there’s one position where the force is only just enough to counter gravity and the player is suspended in the air.

Are you using the .exe file? If not, which version of Blender did you use?

I do not know if it has to do but I remembered that when I played the first time was with the Opera opened at least 20 tabs running and also the GIMP.
I played a little while ago and the FPS remained in the 50-60 fps range. Only the bug that remained, but when touched the enemy saw, the player died automatically.
There was no error message on the console. I used the version 2.73a.

OK, that’s good.
The game handles quite a lot of particles which could slow some older computers, but it shouldn’t be a problem unless you’re low on RAM (lots of other programs running).

I haven’t tested it with 2.73 myself as it was made using 2.72.
2.73 Didn’t add anything new for the game engine and introduced quite a few bugs so I haven’t upgraded yet.

I think I fixed the landing on robots bug In a recent edit but maybe I haven’t posted that version yet.
I’ll check when I get home. :slight_smile:

This is quite a fun game!

Congratulations on finishing :slight_smile: