BGE FPS Template 12/28/06

This is a template, not a tutorial. If you can’t figure out how it all works, it most probably means that you should not start out with an FPS on your first try.

However, that doesn’t mean you can’t ask questions about the template in the forums.

I was thinking about you when I published this. Thanks.

You don’t have to give me credit, feel free to use everything, for anything.

The only thing I ask is: If you ever add new features, make improvements to the template, send me a .blend, so that I can keep it updated to everyones benefit.

On the “viewer” object, modify the “mousefilter” property. Higher = less/no falloff (try small increments of 0.05)

Thanks for the plug to the sticky.

Heh, that game…man was I green.

As easy as blender seemingly makes it, making a complete game is still no small task (even when you know alot). Making a “good” game is even harder. It’s much easier to help others with specific issues, and make small demos like these.

I’m not working on anything now. There are a few projects I started in the past, but they were ditched because I would always come to some limitation that would prevent me from making the game my way.

The reason that you don’t hear about my projects is because I only post stuff when it’s finished for the better part. I don’t want to spam the forums with a “Project Announcment”, and then run 16 pages of updates for the next 7 months.

Thanks, that should solve the problems RagingChaos66 seems to have. (I hope)

Everyone>

Thank you for all your compliments. Your opinions mean alot to me, and I’m glad that you approve.

Yes, Social, we love you!! :slight_smile:

you the men social awesome 5 star i have stop making games for a min i,am staringt it back up again i have been work on my photo shop trying to get better :slight_smile:

Go Social! :slight_smile:

thank you 3d penguin for the mirror, it worked, and thank you social for this, i’ll have to use it in the fps i’m working on lol

Thank You Social. Merry Christmas to you too :wink:

I hope your Christmas Wish comes true… :slight_smile:

So my son thinks Blender is stupid and looks at Social’s demo and says, Oh, you have recreated ‘‘game x’’ (name withheld) and he proceeds to shoot the boxes and asks, so, like, can we work on this? this is cool!

Amazing what one (simple?) practical example can do. That is, one done well. Good Job, Social. Thanks. I think I will add a button to open a door and a basement.

good… I’m glad you’ve found a better way, showing is always better than telling, and your way of telling wasn’t ever something I appreciated. Nice job.

I’ve actually found this useful, I didn’t understand bge python much before this… it’s nice to see it in action (even though I use bge more for physics than games)

Social, Even tho I’m not a kid. Thank you.

Again you have given to the community a much needed frame work for all to learn from and build onto.

And just so you know that all your work does not go to waste, I went out and got a book on Python and have made it to ch7 doing the examples now I don’t profess to know how to program… yet. But I do understand a lot better, this is from your python tutorial. And one day I hope to give back in your honor and the honor of all who try to teach.

I Think you could add one more thing to it.
I’m not sure if this happens in HL2 (My Computer won’t run it lol) but you know the “Right-Click zoom” kind of thing that happens in some games.
I just think it’d be a good thing to add, still a great Template! Now all you have to do is wait for someone to post “How do i make an FPS”.
I suppose you want to be the person that posts the FIRST link back here?

Wow, I mean wow, mission acomplished. Never thought I would be responsible for getting kids to appreciate blender. Feels quite nice. Thanks.

As for the simplicity of the template: It looks very simple when played I’m sure, but there are quite a few things going on in the background.

Yea, I keep forgetting that some people here grew up in a monastary or something, no backbone, so you need to sugarcoat everything for them, or they start crying.

It’s a public forum, on the net, stop taking things so personally.

Thank you for your compliments.

Hey, thanks for saying that matro.

I think the game you are referring to is Counter Strike Source. In HL2 the only zoom weapon is the crossbow, afaik.

Yea, someone should add that, along with an ammo counter sys, reload animation, switch weapon sys…(another weapon) a granade perhaps, recoil force sys…the list goes on. The .blend is there for anyone to add features to, so…you guys can get started on that anytime ;).

As for who posts the first link: It really doesn’t matter to me, as long as it stops the spam.

This is very cool Social.
The BGE really needed this!

On thing you might want to implement in your template is culling/clipping system, portal system, distance fog, fade or an Anti-portal system.

that way the noobies can drop in a bit of content to make the worlds a bit more believable. It would also allow for creation of larger levels. and more things to shoot at.

This BIGGEST limitation on the current blender game engine is the poly count of the maps and models.

a couple of quick example on how to make the BGE not draw everything at once, would be of great help. and in a first person shooter template, would be a very nice addition.

Anyways, that is my 2 cents :slight_smile:

If you need any animated models,maps, or textures , just say the word and I can help you out :slight_smile:
Someone should send an Email to Blender nation… this is definitely front page material!

Have a good one, and Thanks again for this very generous gift .

really?

I don’t know what the poly count limit is. What is it poof? do you know?

I have a problem with this setup. But it only occurs in the previews of next blender version… If I open this there the bulleyholes get stretched out along the y-axis.

Thanks for the feedback,

Should be fixed in Preview11c.
Erwin

i can’t play aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh:eek:!!! It says game engine disabled in this release:eek:! this is my big problem with blender for me right now can someone please help me:confused:

here’s the template + MMB to zoom…
http://captainoblivion.googlepages.com/FPS_Template.blend

great work, BTW, I probably won’t take anything directly from it (I really have to make everything myself in order to feel okay) but I can learn a few things, for sure. Thanks a million.

Hey, thanks alot.

I updated the main link with the new .blend. I slightly changed a few things though, to more resemble a traditional setup such as Counter Strike. So now, instead of “holding down MMB”, you just “click RMB once to zoom, and once again to return to normal”.

I think it’s easier that way.

Now if only everyone would contribute little by little to this. Imagine how it would grow.

The BGE already uses “frustum culling”, additionally there are LOD scripts lying around that can be easily implemented, but seeing as how the OGRE implementation is a version or two down the road, I wouldn’t waste time on doing anything overly elaborate in that area.

The portals (if I don’t have to render what’s on the other side of them) are relativelly easy to implement. Just add the “portal” to the bullet hole script and shoot it at the wall of your choosing. Set the portal to change player position “setPosition()” to the location of the other portal, and vice versa.

Of course that too (even though easy to think out) is still going to take quite some time to put up. Also, there are more controll statements to write (determine weather or not to spawn bullet hole or portal, make sure first portal has been shot before activating teleport…etc), and a weapon switch script…portals are still some time away.

Not easy for one guy to do all that, but if there are other people like Captain Oblivion, and they contribute…well that will be truly testing the limits of the BGE.

Yea!
Ogre will definitely solve this.

Thanks for the info on the LOD and culling too… This will really help me (and everyone) out in the future.

This is nice…thanks Social…this will be another learning experience for me …!!!