BGE enhancement branch

It appears that Blender already has a form of fixed timestep that is implemented. It’s rather messy though, so we can clean that at least.

For now, i’ve decided to remove the “Use Framerate” option. It doesn’t give the user any useful functionality - stable games should always use fixed timesteps.

also, Can anyone tell me what a jagged line is that appears in a plane flipped 180 per frame?

Hey , where is the “Use Framerate” option ? Is that in python or the c++ code ? When can we start to recode the entire thing from scratch ?

check these out - Intel Medfield-powered X900

There could be a integration -

Android x86 -Pc’s and blender on newer smartphones

Enable blender game as the render context and then it’s in the system tab.

Recoding everything from scratch may not be the best idea. With this proposal I intend to do what is necessary to make the engine easier to develop with, add additional functionality and address bugs

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Sounds very nice! Looking forward to it.

Thank you goose, :slight_smile:

Hello,

i have been thinking a bit about how the game engine could be extended / improved by 2 features:

1. a fracture actuator / brick / node system, maybe controlled via python scripts, like a better (and useful) version of my Destructability Editor

2. a nodal texture system for the BGE like Mapzone (maybe) which allow to build textures from basic shapes / patterns. Those nodes could be done in python (or in C, for speed), or you should be able to bake out the textures as images / normal maps… maybe even allow to input baked textures as nodes.

As you can see that are only very coarse outlines (they even sound like feature requests), no in-depth concepts or even designs. Would also need to find out what existing code can be re-used in the BGE (i have only python experience regarding to BGE and some C experience regarding blender modifiers) and which other works could be built upon. e.g. an existing OSL pattern generator (for the texture system)

Correct me if i am wrong, but wouldnt it be wise to unify / share the whole blender API (without needing to duplicate everything for blender and BGE) in a “game playing environment” (which you also start by a simple press of a button). I know this is a HUGE task… and needs a solid design first. (basically Tons idea)
Additionally i have been thinking about some “connector” addons to external engines (like Gamekit already implements) but for maybe Crystal Space and Irrlicht first (sadly i do not have in depth knowledge of their capabilities and APIs, but i heard those are some of the best really free engines.

Unfortunately, as i am busy with my job, i dont have much time for this, but i use much of my free time for this and try to refine my thoughts / complete them. Additional to this i should also spend some time to get a foot onto BGE coding in C++.

What do you think about this ?

Regards, scorpion81

I think it would be great idea because adding faces and deleting faces in the blender game engine would be a great feature.

I think that someone needs to do a indieegogo or kickstarter for this,

I would try and get some money in it, as Ton has expressed a disinterest in developing the game engine.

Note this is silly,
" as Ton has expressed a disinterest in developing the game engine." sorry.

What I meant to say is he has expressed that he does not want a separate fund stream for the bge.*

To clear some things up:

Money isn’t the majority of users’ concern; it’s the time, and the same applies to me. Some developers are dependent upon development funding as a source of income however, that is true.

Ton’s Idea may well prove to be the ultimate direction the BGE takes. At the very least, we’re in the unique position with the BGE that we can leverage many parts of the Blender codebase already. Having a dedicated BGE codebase has both merits (like optimisation friendly modifications) and drawbacks (API breakages, the implications of copying data).