Bewitching Darkness

Hi, I’m a beginner and I’m wondering why it takes 2.5 weeks? Thanks.

It depends on the complexity of the scene. For this I spent the most time on modeling everything (especially the house). You wouldn’t think it takes so long but all the little details adds up.

Great picture. This is probably one of the best examples of complementary color use I’ve seen.

What’s the story behind the textures on the windows? The one on the left seems to be reflecting the environment, but you can’t see the stuff being reflected (maybe it’s behind the wheat, though). On the right, there’s the red and green stuff that seems a bit out of place.

I can’t imagine either of those are unintentional (you’ve obviously put a lot of work into this) so I was just curious as to the reason you put those there.

wow! I agree with @Sepultura… Love your composition very much!!! your progressive only took you to complete 2 weeks was alot better than mine… Keep up your working!!

MoG That Beauty! Its fascinating. That will be my desktop-background for shure.
Full 5 of 5 stars.

I disagree. I think you forget that such compositional rules are guidelines, not laws. If you abide by the “rules” all the time, you’ll produce nothing but rule-rigid compositions that, for some unnamable reason to the viewer, will come off as somewhat cliché or familiar.

Not to mention, art students become more like robots than artists, relying too strongly on rules to dictate their taste rather than their gut–which, even with education, is still your best bet. They start to become critics out of merely recognizing where a rule was or wasn’t applied, instead of noticing if the effect of such was successful or not.

It’s almost like a piano teacher recognizing someone’s usage of dissonance in a piece, and then calls out the piece merely for the instance of dissonance–even if that might have just been the artist’s intention. Or a food critic who can recognize the technique in which the food was created, and judges the food based on that, rather than just on how the food actually tastes overall.

Sometimes rules desensitize us of our best sense of judgment: From your gut reaction, not your head’s reaction, how’d you like it? Sometimes, you can effectively break the “rules,” as long as you’re following the main “rule”: Is it interesting as you want it?

Anyways, in this particular image, I like the visual tangents you’ve mentioned, because they’re invoking just how large the planet in the background truly is. It’s so large, it touches across the entire image, almost like a visual hug. Everywhere you turn in the image, there the main event is, right there taking an intrusive piece of every corner of the scene.

I personally would say the visual tangents you point out give the image both a sense of vastness and an overcrowdedness, just as I would imagine such view of a large planet in backdrop would. In an endless sky and on endless land, all you can see is the giant planet hogging the sky. The landscape is cozy and yet the background is completely overwhelming, which makes for a sense of wonder.

My gut reaction to this is that I personally think this entire image was successful in terms of conveying what the artist wanted to convey. I get the total sense that this “cozy yet overwhelming” feeling was precisely what they were going for here. It’s relaxing and yet nerve-wracking, which summarizes a feeling of awe. Nice job, BjarkeDuDe.

Great composition indeed, and I like this juxtaposition of different elements (farm with wheat field and planets and moons). The compositing is also appealing to me. Well done! , thanks for sharing this

Its my wallpaper now , i really want to see every morning

Amazing, its like a amazing world… :wink: