BEPUik Full Body Inverse Kinematics

Thanks rontarrant, I missed a the detail about changing the connections :slight_smile:
I think Iā€™m getting the hang of it,

However Iā€™m having issue with pins.
Testing FBIK.blend (1.26 MB)
Using a Rigify rig, the hands wonā€™t stay in place when pinned

Iā€™ve added a few more things to the ā€œQuirksā€ section, one of them might explain the unusual behavior. I havenā€™t looked into the specifics of how BEPUik would interact with another complex rigging system like Rigify. After I get the addon stable Iā€™ll see what I can see.

I tried the Disconnect bones option, then I initialized BEPUikā€¦Same results.

I switched Stiff children option on/off and still got same results.

edit: doing the process repeatedly can cause some crashes (I canā€™t get a print of it though)

I have some problems with pinning; I add bone, subdivide it 3 times and enable the addon; when I pin my root bone everything works darn well, but when I turn back pinning to 0 I still cannot move it like it was pinned.

One more question; letā€™s say I have a chain of 5 bones, I pin the first one I can move the rest, everything works great. But when I pin the last one and unpin the first one I cannot move the chain like before (but backwards). Is this function actually possible?

After the command performance over the weekend and my still inexhaustible supply of enthusiasm for what you guys are working on, I just wanted to let you know that some sense of patience has set in as you work to rub away the rough edges. Looking forward to the first update. Thanks again for your efforts.

Why donā€™t yall get-er-there new update-io and see if it helps your stabilitah?

v0.1.1
http://code.google.com/p/bepuik/downloads/list

Iā€™ve updated the main post too.

You no longer need to ā€œreinitializeā€ anything, and all values should animate properly.

Youā€™re welcome JWise, but I have a bad news / good news situation for you; the error you reported is because of a very recent blender api change. I believe if you use 2.65a official, it will work properly.

Arghh, yer right about that 2.65a issue and the shinier new versions with Matcap and now Rigid Bodies (which I think compliments your stiff children). Itā€™s okay though, Iā€™m sure youā€™ll have v0.1.2 posted in what, say 20 minutes or so?

Great update! :smiley: The workflow is more streamline now. Awesome.

Iā€™m still having issues with pining, even with all the bones disconnected. Any arm bone pinned doesnā€™t stay in place (shoulder, fore-arm, hand, ect)

I think it only happens when a bone chain forks twice (legs being fork 1, arms being fork 2) And there is no way to tell which bone is the latest decedent (if that makes sense, I donā€™t know)

Example blend works like a charm here (Mint Linux 64bit, B 2.65a, v0.1.1), however is there actually somewhere a description how to build your own rig and how to use the different constraint types?

P.S.: Please also zip the linux version so that it can be easily installed through Blender like on Windows.

win32 pweeeze? does puppy eyes :smiley:

After some more testing, the pinning issue is only present with the Rigify armatures, when I build a rig myself there are no pinning problems anymore.

New Theory:
The only difference between the Rigify human rig, and the rig I made myself is that Rigify used bone layers??
Could this be whatā€™s causing the problem??

Currently, I donā€™t have any good information out there on how to actually construct a rig with this. When I get some time, I hope to make some better
documentation or perhaps a youtube series explaining the paradigms.

Zip thing was just an oversight, will be fixed from here on.

Comin soon hopefully!

It seems unlikely that bone layers would have anything to do with it, but rather the fact that Rigifyā€™s constraints interfere with BEPUikā€™s constraints and vice versa. You can make BEPUik work with blender constraints, but you have to do so very deliberately; or youā€™ll get strange things happening. And you could probably get a Rigify rig working in tandem with BEPUik, but I think it would be more work than creating a BEPUik rig from scratch.

Thatā€™s why I thought it was odd, because there are no constraints left on my rigify rig.

The blend I uploaded doesnā€™t have any bone constraints. Yet when I build a rig identical to the Rigify from scratch, it works normal.

Iā€™ve attached the ā€œfixedā€ version of the rigify rig. What you were seeing was caused by a few known issues, but I didnā€™t specifically state all of them in the main post, so Iā€™ll have to update that.

All bones must be ā€œquaternionā€ mode.
All bones that are bepuik bones shouldnā€™t have any ā€œlocksā€ on any of their transforms.
There canā€™t be any transforms on the armature object itself.

Attachments

Testing FBIK 2.blend (1.27 MB)

Wow, Thanks Squashwell. I never thought to check the locks, sorry I missed that :P. I didnā€™t think that would affect it since they arenā€™t constraints lol

But at least my oversight can be reference for anyone else :wink:

Thanks for taking the time to diagnose my .blend, I know you are very busy coding.

edit: this is my 333rd post :yes:

No problem at all, itā€™s good to get these things ironed out and documented. I was a little confused at first too, but then I remembered, ah yes, ā€œthe quatsā€¦ the quats. the quats n locks.ā€

so yeah im crzy

I canā€™t stop playing with thisā€¦itā€™s awesome to move a skeleton so freely, yet so controlled.

Iā€™ll be making test animations soon, Iā€™ll upload them once they are done.

Linux 32 bit build is up.

Windows 32 bit is finally up! http://code.google.com/p/bepuik/downloads/detail?name=bepuik_v0.1.1_windows32.zip

Fantastic, this should allow more people to test this out.