BC-304 Daedalus Class Battleship

Improved the server racks and worked on the materials :

The time for cpu render is at about 30-40 minutes, with the gpu it’s at 20-30. that are the times needed on my laptop.
At home with 3xgtx titans it will be much faster. The gpu renders much faster but I had do turn down the tile size in order to prevent the gpu from crashing because the laptop gpu has only 2gb ram.

Worked on the Controll Panel. The blue squares should be screens, I have to add a texture another day.

The green glowing part are server racks. I really start to like the array modifier! In general I work now with more modifiers then before. I don’t use the bevel function anymore, only the bevel modifier with different bevel weights. With this it’s easy to have different bevel sizes and it is possible to turn them off with one single click. I have already the problem that my laptop isn’t able to handle all objects smoothly in wireframe mod.

the model has now:

verts: 1.6 millions
faces: 1.2 millions
tris: 2.7 millions

I think at the end with the whole inside stuff, I’ll be at over 20 million faces or even more!

As usual any comments, suggestions or critique is welcome.

Those control panels look good :slight_smile: what are you planning to have displayed on the screens? Code-like text i assume

I was thinking of something like a wireframe picture of the engine on the big one and some code on the small one.

Only a quick update.
I started to block out all the decks in my ship. So at the moment its all in blocks and all 90° angles. I have to break them up and make it look more interesting. Also, at the moment it is very hard to see how the decks should look at the end so this will take e few weeks until I have something to show you. If wished I can upload a picture of it at the moment state but I think it would be more interesting when I show it to you an a later stage.

The ship has at the moment 8 decks. That’s without the hangar-bays ant the bridges. One deck is approximately 2.5m in height and between every deck is 0.5m for tubes and for the main structure.

It is really hard to find some information about the ship. there are some planes off the set available but nothing about the sleeping and dining compartments where in the ship they are. I think it should have at least 200 beds, 120 for the standard crew and some for guests or some temporary crew members.

I have some general questions where you can say what I should do!

What du you think about the beds in the ship, how many should there be?
Should I use only elevators inside the ship or only stairs, or both! give my your opinion.

Started to built the modules for the corridors.

here the 2 meter module with a array modifier.

I have finished so far the corner and the 3 and 4 way intersection of the 2 meter modules.
As next I’ll start with some door modules.
My goal is to have a modular system so I can set up all main corridors in a very short time.

have a good time

Here some more pictures from the corridor system:

There are still a few issues but I like it so far.
One thing that I don’t like is, that the corridors look so long, in fact they are up to 100 meters. I was able to brake this a bit with adding some airlock but still when you want to wake through the ship you have to walk a few 100 meters.

I tried the system on one deck and I have already over 250 meter of corridor, and that’s on the smallest deck!

Any suggestion how to break it up that it don’t looks so unnatural?
I thought that it maybe would help when not all angels are only 90 and 45 degree. The problem is, it’s way more complicated to build an modular system based on 45 or 120° degree angels.

Have a nice day!

Short Update:

I’ve finished the Floor Layout of Deck7 today. The modular system works well but I reach the limits of my laptop.
Working in wireframe mode isn’t anymore possible.:mad:
Maybe joining the objects together would help but at the moment, I don’t want to give up the modular system.

Here you are able to see the different modules I have so far::yes:

I appreciate some comments so please, any comments, suggestions or critique is welcome.

Started to build the crew quarters

here you can see the beds.

have fun

any comments, suggestions or critique is welcome.

Attachments

small Updated!

better materials and better lightning.

also added some mattress.

render time: 8.36min at 3000 samples

Attachments

I’m surprised there is not more comments on this. I’s pretty impressive the amount of work that must demand. Your corridor modular system is very interesting. I suppose you use arrays to replicate the modules ?

To help your laptop, do you use layers ? Corridors or on one or two layers, furniture on another etc. This lightens the 3D port view.

Thanks for your comment.

And no I don’t use Array because there are several special modules for doors etc. but I use the snap during transform to set it up. That works very well because they are all 2m Modules.

To the Laptop, I’m now back Home so I have my Desktop with 3 gtx titan available. Rendered preview during material editing in real-time without any problem. The only problem I have so far is that with multiple decks at one layer the ram usage goes up to 15gb ram and that slows all the moments down.:spin:

Before I set up all decks I’ll try to finish the deck with all the Rooms I’m working on right now.

Here’s an Update of the Beds again: now the vertical blinds closes the entire gap on the side.

small update:

New storage compartment’s added

please comment!

One Carbine is now nearly finished with the Bed Module.

First picture is after one hour rendering, the other ones are only short render with 2 minutes

Haven’t done a lot with uv unwrapping so I tried it again after watching a few tutorials.
The result is the Control panel

please comment!

Attachments

that’s the uv paintjob for the control panel

and here you can see the layout of one cabine

Crew cabins look good mate, The matresses look a little too glossy though. it makes them look hard and uncomfortable. Other than that this looks really good. :smiley:

Yeah that with the bed is a point, tried to get a plastic lock and haven’t changed the material so far.
I’ll change that for my next renders.

small update

added a table and a Screen at the wall.

some ceiling lights are missing… that’s the next thing I’ll go for

added some ceiling lights

Looking great man :slight_smile: I like the colours of this room, the reds and blues fit nicely together.