Autodesk to go subscription-based only

exactly!!!

I think their idea is that more pros means more donations means more developers means better Blender.

I just love it when we start arguing. It makes the forum more interesting… :smiley:
Anyway, personally I think that Blender is truly great in pretty much everything, especially modeling, I just can’t stand using other programs, they are painful compared with Blender. The main problem is integration in a pipeline. Blender right now just doesn’t play nicely with other packages… But that’s not my problem really, I can’t afford these other programs anyway…

Even more developers? With the current patch review system where people waits years for a decision? O_O

development roadmap

Wow, so much stuff that is standard since years in other apps. Amazing times ahead!

Irony asides. The roadmap looks really nice. But there is nothing really exciting at the list. Just the usual improvements and catchups so that Blender doesn’t loose the connection to the big boys completely. And it lacks of quite a few important bits. Again no word about the UI for example.

And Blender is not the only 3D software that is under development. Means when Blender has fulfilled this roadmap, then this means that other 3D software has fulfilled their roadmap too. And is again one step ahead. Or two, or three. Because development speed is a bit higher in the industry. They just don’t deliver it this often.

I thought it is a good roadmap. Although I don’t quite understand what animation widget will be and how it will be helpful (I was hoping for animation tool like CAT for 3DS MAX).

It is a good roadmap. It’s just, other 3D software has also a roadmap :slight_smile:

Than go get whatever is more PRO and get your job done, it’s clear you have no idea what are you talking about, like when you said if Blender would have been written in C++ it would attract way more professional developers. :facepalm

Objects Nodes! I don’t see this being an entry level feature which every software has, if you haven’t read, this means node based modifiers, hairs, particles, object transformation, drivers, constraints…

Go watch new collisions hairs implemented by Lukas, and hair shapekeys integration
EDIT: Minute - 32:00 for hairs

OpenSubD…latest subdiv tech from Pixar (and additions from Dreamworks Animation Studios).

Not to mention all the other top-topics, i just think you could rant about everything Blender related, just because you don’t see UI in the list, left click default, new keymap, more pies, tabs, and other interaction related stuff you care about.

I thought it is a good roadmap. Although I don’t quite understand what animation widget will be and how it will be helpful (I was hoping for animation tool like CAT for 3DS MAX).

There is an example in the last hangout, widgets in viewport for different cases (here Psyfi made an early example with spot lamp)

EDIT: it doesn’t take the right time from you tube, go to same video, minute 39:00

Didn’t know Blender was in a race with other 3D apps o.O

Competition? Sure there is. It’s not that there is a Blender Planet, and in the next galaxy happens the professional work with all other 3D software. There are even direct competitors in the free area. Shade3D has a free version for Unity for example. Most 3D Apps have a free student version too.

And when so much people are cheering that Blender goes pro just now whenever a fart is happens in the industry, and when so much people are dreaming that Blender takes off just now and mix up the industry, then there is obviously a competition in the heads of the users too.

Than go get whatever is more PRO and get your job done, it’s clear you have no idea what are you talking about, like when you said if Blender would have been written in C++ it would attract way more professional developers. :facepalm

No need to become rude. And “You have no idea what you are talking about” is the worst argument that you can tell. Because that tells me that you run out of arguments.

I still think C++ would attract more developers. Because there are simply more C++ developers around. That a port is close to impossible is not the question.

Objects Nodes! I don’t see this being an entry level feature which every software has, if you haven’t read, this means node based modifiers, hairs, particles, object transformation, drivers, constraints.

OpenSubD…latest subdiv tech from Pixar (and additions from Dreamworks Animation Studios).

Not to mention all the other top-topics, i just think you could rant about everything Blender related, just because you don’t see UI in the list, left click default, new keymap, more pies, tabs, and other interaction related stuff you care about.

Cool story bro. And next you surely tell us that Blender has invented sculpting and polygon modeling …

Open SubD comes from Pixar, right? Now guess who used it first. Um, Pixar by chance? :wink:

That’s the problem when people are working just with Blender and nothing else. They know just Blender. And anything else hasn’t existed before Blender. Which is simply and plain wrong. Nearly all inventions happened in other 3D software first. We had this issue in another thread already.

And that’s why the Blender roadmap doesn’t really amaze me. It is nice. It is necessary. It is evolution. Blender catches up a bit again. But it is far from amazing. And ignores a few areas where evolution would also be necessary.

Tiles; I think it’s becoming obvious that you believe Blender has no future anyway (along with most of FOSS), so why are you still using it and posting here as opposed to other software designed for game assets like Milkshape or Truespace?

You argue that the Blender devs. have proven an inability to even catch up to software that has been dead for years, so why do you decide to put up with Blender, to have a reason to try to tear away as many people as possible from Blender so they will no longer be delusional CG artist wannabes?

Also, you can get Lightwave for half price now if you’re using Blender or other 3D software, buy a license and never suffer the agony of having to use Blender again, good luck.

I sing this to my kids…

Moaning is naughty,
moaning is bad,
moaning makes
mummy and daddy sad.

…Constructive criticism excepted.

Hey, you know what? We should all gather in a big field. Blender fanboys on one side, haters on the other, devs in the middle! Then, we simply try to tear each other to pieces! :smiley:
The Battle of Five Modelers begins with an attack from the “noobs”, who, like orcs, are killed by the dozens by 3dsMax users. Ton tries to stop the slaughter, but gets killed by a nearby flying Wacom tablet, thrown by a sculptor trying to behead a Zbrush fan. Then, the Open Movies Team attacks the Maya lovers, who can’t do anything, cause it takes them two f***ing minutes to boot. Finally, there’s a surprise attack from Softimage lovers, who don’t really like Autodesk anymore and will probably crucify anyone they capture from the enemy team, but it turns out to be Brecht, so they sort of leave him be…
Now, that would make a great movie, wouldn’t it?

(again) A big chunk of Blender is also written in C++. So what? This shows the one has no arguments is you by saying these nonsense.

Cool story what? If you can’t realize these are great targets on par with other softwares then what you want? Never exposed your needs thoroughly.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140501150431/walkingdead/images/3/3d/Wat.jpeg

Which areas? You complain but never describe, always vague or “not my job”.
Thanks god the goal of BF is not to amaze you, we’d be doomed mate.

@mods i’m done. Nothing useful here…i move on

Tiles; I think it’s becoming obvious that you believe Blender has no future anyway

Now this is complete nonsense. I thought this kind of trolling to put words in other peoples mouth starts at page five …

I never said that, and i don’t think that. Blender has a great future. It is the number one hobby app. And it survives in this area since many years already. I cannot see why this should change. Blender is super sucessful in this area.

It is just not a industry tool. Whoever thinks this will have a heavy awake when he seriously wants to break into the industry.

I think your real question, besides the try to throw me out and make me quiet, is why i am still here when i seem to dislike Blender this much. And that’s already the misconception. I don’t dislike Blender. It is a tool in my toolchain. It is useful for me. I am a Blender User. And as a User i have the same rights to tell my opinion than you. It is sad that we have to clear this point again and again.

You argue that the Blender devs. have proven an inability to even catch up to software that has been dead for years,

When you mean trueSpace, yes. The polygon modeling tools there beats even nowadays the devil out of Blender polygon modeling tools in terms of speed and workflow. Usability is one of the biggest problems in Blender. Needless to say that featurewise Blender wins nowadays. Over five years without development shows its effect. But i am still ways faster and feel more comfortable in trueSpace for polygon modeling needs. And when there is really something that i cannot fix in trueSpace, then there is still Blender left. I am highly pragmatic here.

But that just as a sidenote. Because i did not mean that one here. And most important, i did not say that one here. Here we are again at something put into my mouth. It’s more coincidence that i have indeed an example for this at my plate.

I mean the big boys. Blender is simply not on par with Maya’s featureset for example. Or with ZBrush. And will most probably never be. It is always a few steps behind. Which doesn’t make it bad. Just weaker.

The problem that Blender has to deal with here is mainly a system problem. Blender is always behind because of manpower. And there is not enough manpower because it is open source. When you are good at something, then do it for money. And there is nothing to earn at open source. So the ones who are really good at coding complicated 3D stuff are mainly in the industry and do it full time for money.

That even willing code contributors gets scared away by the bad patch reviewing system, wrong decisions and leading style is just the icing on top of that. Here we are at another problem already.

I sit here to read about Autodesk subscription…How did you get so far away from the thread title?
So how much will cost Maya and 3DMax subscription? Could not find a final word about it anywhere…

Why does everybody care about that autodesk thing??Humankind has blender.

And some parts are even written in Python. And the manual is written in pure text. And … oh wait …

The very most part, the important part, of Blender is C

WAT?

Geez, you have really big understanding problems, have you? Is my english so bad or are you really so slow in thinking?

Pixar has developed OpenSubDiv. Not Blender. Blender just borrows it. And implements it. But Blender is not the only app who implements Open SubDiv. And other apps may have even better SDS algorithms on board since years.

I could swear the Blender implementation is again just all or nothing. Again no partial SDS. Something that trueSpace already did before ten years.

Cool story what? If you can’t realize these are great targets on par with other softwares then what you want? Never exposed your needs thoroughly.

Those are good targets for Blender. But there is not a single item that is not already available in another 3D software. While Blender still has to develop and implement it.

Which areas? You complain but never describe, always vague or “not my job”.
Thanks god the goal of BF is not to amaze you, we’d be doomed mate.

Now you really have to decide what you want. Should i shut up, or shoud we go through every single problem zone in Blender again? UI was already mentioned. Partial SDS was mentioned now a few lines above too.

And i could swear when i really start to mention all problems then i get thrown with stones again like in the other threads. Or just a few lines above …

@mods i’m done. Nothing useful here…i move on

Bye.

That’s just the impression that I get, the reason being that the running theme of the majority of your posts in this forum for a while now is opining on just how shot through with issues the Blender application is ranging from the character of Ton to the decision to make it open source to allegations that Blender is sub-par in pretty much every possible area with no bright spots to allegations of the core devs. having no clue on how to move Blender forward as a serious alternative. This not getting to where you also tend to try to devastate the credibility of all users who believe Blender can be that alternative for professionals in any way, shape, or form (even though we’re likely not talking about pie-in-the-sky stuff like ILM using it as their main software).

So when you say that you like using Blender as an application, it seems to contradict all of that because I also recall a post of yours saying you only use Blender because you don’t have money (which hints that you’d rather use commercial applications and leave Blender forever).

This is the kind of wall of text argument that kills a thread, and any desire to peruse this forum.

Well of course you are. Are you really surprised?