Attraktors [Generative equation]

Hello,

Sorry for posting in an older thread, but I have to ask this question: how would one go about producing one of the 2D attractors using this technique? I have a thread asking this version question over in the Python Support section, but then it occurred to me that I’m better off asking in the reference thread.

I’ve been doing some experiments and have produced some other attractors successfully, but I just can’t seem to get the 2D ones correct. One in particular (and my original thread question) is the Gingerbread Man Attractor (or the Pfefferkuchenmann Attraktor from the 3D Meier site)

I plugged in the functions as normal, but set the 3rd function (the one for the Z-coordinate) to 0 and what I got was just a set of rings as apposed to the expected result of a humanoid figure. I’ve tried other 2D attractors including the De Jong and Hènon variants, and have only gotten rather large squiggles and lines instead of what the references have shown.

At this point, I know I’m doing something wrong, but I’m not sure exactly what I’m doing wrong. Again, I apologize for reviving this topic, but I just want to know.

Thanks in advance.

hi, I generated curves(attractors) based on blender plugin, which I found in Github, then I generated shape using bevel object in blender , by using bezier circle so I am getting circular round object. But I didn’t get shapes likes yours (like square, hexagon etc)

can you help this mashup(problem)

Attachments

As far as that goes, that generally requires applying another curve object into the Bevel Object input under Geometry. Basically, make another curve, modify it to what you wish it to be, and put it into the Bevel Object input for the curve you wish to bevel. Take note however that in order to adjust the shape of the bevel once it’s in place, you need to go into Edit mode of the curve acting as the bevel. Scaling works in both Object and Edit modes, but you can’t adjust the bevel location in Object mode, only in Edit mode. This may sound confusing initially but try testing it out and you’ll get the idea.

You can also use meshes converted to curves for this as well but keep in mind that the mesh object must not have any faces, only the wire outline. Also, I highly recommend keeping it to a very simple flat mesh as apposed to 3D objects - might get some weird results. I tried using an Icosphere converted to a curve and it looked like absolute garbage, so be warned.

If you had already figured this out somewhere else then consider this a quick reference post, and happy Blending :slight_smile:

Wow, what a beautiful combination of math and art. Love those textures they really contrast with the elegant flow of form.

lol at how this thread goes from 2014 to 2015 to top row in 2016 in a couple of posts.

Wooden attraktors look good indeed.

so where can we find the addons?

Works fine in 2.77:

Nevermind…DERBENDER was faster than me…

Here is a short vid I have done today:

@Gamel: Applause! Very nice artwork and typography.

I got an error while experimenting with it. Is it compatible with latest build?

Attachments

Hi, make a circle and a curve then assign them to the attractor curve. Don’t worry, its confusing at first but makes sense after you try it for yourself.

Attachments

Superlative… This is simply stunning.

beautiful renders!

I don’t think I’d call these equations “generative”, but rather “parametric”. Generative suggests some kind of system of controlled branching equations but with some disorder (maybe my distinction here is slightly academic… or wrong…) . I don’t intend to suggest that your results aren’t pretty awesome, they are :slight_smile:

Maybe you know of the Blender Add-on called Sverchok, it is designed to accommodate complex geometric parametricism. For a light example the Hadley Attractor can be implemented easily in the Sverchok Scripted Node.

The sverchok node system’s Scripted Node was made to help building and iterating over equations rapidly and performing subsequent vector math on the output (if needed).

agree with Zeffii.
Sverchok can animate attractors, and this is power side. Not only grow point by point, but change veriables on frames.

@Nikitron, @zeffii, could you make some video tutorial for Sverchok and parametric modelling of attractors ?

@brus I second that. Are there really any good Sverchok tuts for noobs like me?
Great images by the way! Bravo!

Very nice!

you should tag this with #science

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing.