Astro1derboy's - Sketchbook

@michalis - well . . . I wasn’t really “blaming” you. HA!! You just kept at it, reminding me . . . to which I say THANK YOU. As I’ve said before, I have so much still to learn.

Here are some various views of my latest model; RI Punisher Mrk2. Hope you enjoy.

Here is a fresh texture/HDRI lighting variant of a previously released ship; RI Armstrong. I’ve been exploring HDRI lighting scenarios and have really been pleased with the overall look much more than without. Hope you enjoy.

Fabulous work!!! I have been catching up with your work. I cannot say that any one image caught me…cuz they all do. :wink: Great work, man!!!

I dig your illustrated look. It looks like a concept artist digitally painted these things with a tablet and Photoshop.

What resolution are your displacement maps and what what subdivision level do you render at for these vehicles?

Great work! They ALL look sweeeeett

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

@PixelEuphoria - I do most of my compositing (if required at all) in Ps w/ my Intuos3. I have a traditional-media art background so I’m sure it plays heavily into my 3D work. I use 4096x4096 .exr displacement maps (created within Ps). Sometime I apply the modifier before creating the color/decal texture uv, sometimes not. Just depends. I prefer the look without applying it. Anyway, that was beside the point. I generally go for the highest subdivision level that retains the overall form yet provides enough for my notched-look (which I really love). Not to be vague but it’s not the same for each vehicle. I tend to overkill just because I LOVE the subtle nuances my displacement map creates. I hope that helps.

Here is another previously-released model but with a different texture and using an HRDI to light the scene.

Glad some people noticed this wonderful thread.

I use 4096x4096 .exr displacement maps (created within Ps)

OK, but IMO it is better to bake such maps in blender using modeling. Because, you can also bake AO maps.
Displ or Nmaps + AO maps works much better on lower poly meshes.

Thanks for the kindness!

I create normal maps for the textures but for true baking, I seem to lose the form edges a bit. I doesn’t seem to want to display the edges properly wrapping around to the back side of the ‘view’. It looks more refined without (on the edges only) IMO. I do love the method(s) but generally favor not baking if I’m interested in keeping the overall form-edge. Right now, I’m trying to just get into the industry so for portfolio purposes I’m more concerned with the final product. If anyone ever wanted to use any of my work within a game then I would absolutely revisit the textures and bake for lower-poly game assets. The technique definitely has merit.

Here’s another previously-released model (working on a new one but it’s not ready yet) with a fresh texture and HDR lighting configuration. I also modified some of the model itself so I’m adding the “LTD” to it’s name to help me better keep track. :smiley: I darkened the cockpit on the left-side render (and added another ship above and out of camera to provide a cool squiggly reflection too).

I hope you enjoy.

I was playing around with background-image lighting configurations. I thought the starfield created some cool and interesting reflection patterns on the RI Cobra Ltd. (This was a previously-released model. Last one like this for a while. It’s faster to test other ideas using models already finished. Anyway . . .) New stuff following . . .

Here’s a new selection. I decided to go for a more traditional/conventional air-breather craft. I intentionally kept the background minimalistic as to not distract from the RI Swallow Mrk2. I hope you enjoy.

Congrats on top bar! Very nice work here.

Congratulation on making it to the featured Banner

Well, it’s about time your sketchbook made it up top.

I have been following your sketchbook every time I see a new post. I just hadn’t been commenting since I monopolized your first page with my fanboy-esque platitudes. But I did feel the need to congratulate you on the honor.

Gulp, that must have been a lot of greeble texture painting…

WOWWWW

Just gotta say that these models rock! Perfect for some sort of massive space battle scene.

Your modeling skills are awesome.
Would it be to much to ask you to make a short animation ? simple camera movement like 6-10 seconds long . I could prolly create audio fx if you are interested and why not some particles/smoke.
Very jealous of your work , keep it up!

p.s i hope your specs are good so you dont make that animation :smiley:

Seeing a whole thread stuffed with talent like this is what inspires me to keep trying to learn blender. Amazing work.

Wow man, these are gorgeous!!! fantastic job! if you don’t mind my asking two questions: :wink: 1.) how are you getting this fantastic painterly / sketched look? are these actual materials in Cycles or just post process in Photoshop? or are you using Freestyle?? annnnd 2.) how long have you been using Blender? Thanks and great stuff man!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I’m excited to make the banner. Yeah!! First time for me. I appreciate the kindness.

I may be offline for a couple weeks, don’t fret, due to a family member having surgery but I will be back ASAP to address questions. (I do have some early, short animations posted on YouTube . . . under my screen-name.) They’re not great, just some basic fly-around and turn-table, etc. stuff.

I’ll be back . . . :RocknRoll: