Arnold for Blender, first working version

Hey guys, I’ve began updating this to work with the latest version of Blender (2.79b) and the latest version of Arnold (5.1), it’s in beta but I’m actively working on it to get it working flawlessly as soon as possible, feel free to download it and play around with it yourself:

1 Like

This is very exciting news! I’ll be watching this closely.

1 Like

The installation guide says “Ensure the Arnold 5.1 SDK is installed and environment variable is set”.

So I downloaded Arnold SDK 5.1.1.0 from Solid Angle’s site, unzipped into %Blender%\2.79\scripts\modules\Arnold\ (as I understood you did that according to your /barnold/engine/__init__.py which I also edited)…
But I can’t find any “environment variable” mentioned in Arnold’s doc. Not even an installation guide actually. Or I’m blind.

Unsurprisingly, Blender crashes if I try to enable the addon.

Hey! How’s it going? What operating system are you using? Setting environment variables are platform specific, but essentially you want to add /ArnoldSDKFolderPath/bin to your “Path” variable if your on Windows

In Search, search for and then select: System (Control Panel)
Click the Advanced system settings link.
Click Environment Variables. In the section System Variables, find the PATH environment variable and select it. Click Edit. Click New.
In the Edit System Variable (or New System Variable) window, specify the value of the PATH environment variable (/path/to/ArnoldSDKfolder/bin). Click OK. Close all remaining windows by clicking OK.

Then restart your computer, and then try to enable the add on in blender. Let me know how it works for you!

Rendered using this addon

3 Likes

I should have specified my OS sorry, it’s Windows 10. Thank you for your quick and detailed answers.

I just added the path, I have a render in progress so I’ll reboot later.

I would suggest you to specify that path in your readme.md the same way you did in your first reply. As long as people know which path is concerned, they can find how to do it themselves.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve updated the readme to provide complete installation instructions:

2 Likes

Hello again !

So I started Blender, opened the addons list, enabled Arnold (no crash yay!), switched the render engine to Arnold, and…

I don’t know if it helps but the system console says :
>>> free: [21.138430]: <bpy_struct, ARNOLD_RENDER at 0x0000014304B647E8>

I barely know Arnlod to begin with, so maybe I have to do some things first in the scene in order to have a working render…?

I’m currently working on getting arnold to display in the image editor and the IPR in the viewport, but just make sure that you set all objects in your scene to an arnold material like standard surface, and it should output a file to your /blender folder as a .png the file should be called output.png

It worked ! \o/

Actually, the output image was upside down so I rotated my camera. Now I just need to learn how to use Arnold properly. :blush:

Perfect! Also, disable “Progressive Refinement” under IPR settings in the Render tab, the image will be higher res

Also if you’re familiar with blender cycles, standard surface is very similar to principled bsdf

thanks ^^

1 Like

That works !

2 Likes

Exciting to get better Arnold integration!

2 Likes

Is thread following an old post? why not make it a new thread?

Because, why not?

How are you guys using the material system i only see diffuse in my config

First you have to switch your render engine to Arnold:

Then, you were on a node based render engine (like cycles) with materials in your scene, you have to disable nodes on every material already existing, then you will see arnold’s material’s settings :