Are These Features in Development?

Okay, thanks! That helps, too. Certainly a step in the right direction.

I just miss this one feature in Maya where you can do this in the transform channel.

This is turning into a bit of a support thread, but you can do this by enabling the “Manipulate Center Points” button in the 3D View’s header and using scaling. Workflow would look something like this:

• Select one cube and position it where you want (say, x=9)
  • Move the 3D cursor to the location of your selected cube (Shift+S > Cursor to Selected)
  • Change the Pivot Point to 3D Cursor and enable Manipulate Center Points
  • Select your other cubes
  • S > X > 0
    Yes… it might be nice to have a text field for this kind of stuff, but at least it’s something that can be done using Blender’s existing features (which means, in turn, that it could probably be automated in an add-on).

:slight_smile: I just tried this and it squashed my cubes flat.

Sounds more painful that it actually was.

EDIT: Forgot to switch on Manipulate Centre Points. :eek:

I’ve worked out a workaround for working in inches (so overworked, that word ‘work’ :slight_smile: ). I’ve written up the procedure as a PDF if anyone wants it. Just click on the image below and it’ll open in Acrobat (or your PDF reader of choice).

And thanks for all the help, guys!

Attachments

Using Inches Only in Blender 2.72b.pdf (289 KB)

UPDATE: The workaround outlined in the PDF I posted works, but for some reason, the edges of small objects with 90-degree angles have some type of visual artifacting, as if there were two complete sets of surfaces instead of one taking up the exact same space, and one of those sets of surfaces is made up of triangles.

So, now I’m questioning whether this is a workable workaround or not.

I’d like this to be developed as well. Something that’s sensitive to whether or not there are actual changes to be saved, so the dialogue will only pop up if you’ve made any changes.

Definitely needed. It’s an expected behavior lacking in Blender. And it should extend not just to transformation, but to any property shared by multiple selected objects.
This would make, for instance, adding/editing/deleting objects/materials/modifiers much more logical and fluid.

I thought I read somewhere that this was in development, but I certainly hope it doesn’t take years to implement.

UPDATE 2:

Nope, the method I came up with has its too many drawbacks. Too much of a pain to bother with, so I’m back to wishing for the an inches-only display. :frowning:

UPDATE 3:

As a matter of fact, using Blender units as fake inches has a strange effect. When I realized I had to rescale to match the other parts I’ve already built, I changed back to Imperial. But, some setting (don’t know which) got wonked and I ended up with a weird edge artifacting that only went away when I completely destroyed my config and went back to defaults.

Thankfully, deleting the entire 2.72 folder in AppData and restarting Blender saved me the trouble of redoing all my customizations.

Bottom line: This approach to inches-only measurements is NOT recommended.

I dont know if this might help you, but you can just type in the value in the tools-panel

might still be a pain in the ass though.