Alternative to Cycles for Blender users?

I never said you were stupid and thats a fact. Listen i dont want argument with you. Lets leave it at that OK?

I wrote dont make me … Btw :wink:

It’s not about the literal words you said, it’s the tone. I understand that english isn’t your native tongue, but do you understand that the way you are wording your sentences is coming across as rude and arrogant to enllish speakers? You might want to consider what words you are choosing a little more carefully.

Okay thx. Bye.

The only person who can improve your communication is you. Nobody can pull the meaning out of your head from thousands of miles away. If you have no interest in improving your communication, anticipate bad communication in the future.

What you want does not exist (but you already knew that, didn’t you?).

I’m sorry, the world of free software has failed you again.

Lukas, not to question your noble effort of replying to this thread, but please consider this:

Thanks for your meaningful contributions to this thread.

@anaho
The best alternative is you, your mind, imagination, your skill & proficiency to create ‘great’ imagery with what you have at hand.

Available engines:

• Cycles
  • Blender Internal
  • Lux Render
  • Octane Render
  • VRay
  • Thea render
  • Corona SA
  • Indigo
  • Arion SA
  • Mitsuba
  • Yafaray / bounty
  • Renderman
  • Arnold
  • Guerilla
  • Maxwell
  • 3delight
  • Air
  • appleseed
  • fluidray
  • parthenon
  • POV-ray
  • NOX
  • Clarisse
  • … real time in game engines & many, many more

Know, that no matter what you use if you have no imagination, creativeness & skill to mimic the image from within, you will fail even with the fastest and greatest engine ever devised, constructed (reality).

For example: an artist has only 20+ letters to create an epic. There are cc 8 billions of living individuals, yet i still haven’t seen one make the real deal, brand new. Not to mention apes & monkeys ;). All copy/paste from the great minds who have passed on. No complaints, but joy in experiencing what’s here, now. Show goes on.

Start by enjoying life :stuck_out_tongue:

btw:
Thanks @lukasstockner97 for info

Add…
Standard articles to read:
The Art of Rendering
The State of Rendering 1
The State of Rendering 2

@anaho When I saw someone like you, I ask to see what’s he is capable in 3D.
Because for complaining about render features, you at leat must be a professionnal in the 3D domain and you should know how it is difficult to make a render engine.
It’s already really hard to make an addon, a render engine is something else.

After, since you work on blender for years, you should know how the dev works and you should ask for features you want instead of tell the dev is not serious.

And what you need is not always what people needs. And not always the direction the bf want’s to give to cycles.

I know that it is hard thats what made me wonder about priotisations maybe being wrongly made. How viable is it to support a lot if computing platforms when doing so begets that none is fully utilised due to too little man power is a valid question. Or is it not? You dont have to make a living out of this to see that there is a certain truth in my points. If you dont agree I am fine with that but please stop casting me as a forum troll for poiting this out while asking for working solutions.

At the beginning, they consciously put all the functionality into CUDA, not matter whether it was needed. This helped them to develop it faster. OpenCL didn’t work because of that, because it couldn’t handle everything at once. AMD has helped them out to split the kernel up and thanks to them, less memory will be used. I don’t know whether those changes are already used in CUDA as well, but I know it is planned if they are not already working on it.
Thanks to the support of multiple platforms, they got help to improve the overall implementation of Cycles.

There is a certain truth in your points. For the ones where the truth was not precise enough, Lukas corrected it for you.
If you don’t want to accept that they are actually using Embree in Cycles already, no one can change that. I don’t know how that is related to any kind of policy.

To have all the things you need, the only engine that may be capable of all of that is Arnold, and that is an engine with a 4 digit pricetag and has no proper plugin for Blender.

So in a sense, the only way to go then would be to abandon FOSS altogether and exclusively stick with commercial software for your 3D needs (though I do agree that the BF perhaps could host a repository of production-ready node groups to address the concerns about shading capability, as all of the building blocks needed for stuff like physically correct fresnal is already there).

Also, the idea that Cycles has made no progress at all in the last year or so is a myth, look at the change logs, there are quite a number of features added that give a measurable benefit to users.

Heheheh Lukas laying down knowledge!

@ Anaho

If you have the cash go the Vray.

I am very happy with Cycles and it delivers a lot of good results and abilities. I also own VRay and others.

Cycles is not perfect - but no engine is.

Ah ok, that has nothing to do with LuxBlend, indeed.
I thought you were talking about it because you mentioned it in the same breath as “play nicely with Blender interface”.
If your biggest problem is displacement (or better: highpoly meshes kill Blenders viewport performance), did you tryLuxRender Proxies?
Anyway, displacement will we implemented in LuxCore, but I think Dade is still waiting for OpenSubDiv to fix some bugs.

Everything you said about Cycles actually translates to Blender in general (missed opportunities, development goals all over etc.). But thats the nature of Open source software when it reaches certain size and can’t cover the actual costs of development, not necessary expressed in money btw. You have to understand that there is no actual plan B when someone leaves lead feature developer position, its all handled in motion for better or worse. That said I use Blender and/or Cycles and it fulfils my professional needs, and for the times it doesn’t I have enough experience to switch to something more appropriate.

Back to your original question. I use Houdini/Mantra for more demanding jobs. Mantra is probably most feature rich renderer in existence, and Houdini plays very well with Blender. The only thing that would make it better is Alembic I/O for Blender, I guess it will come eventually though :).

Actually, Brecht spent months mentoring Sergey on how to develop Cycles before he left for Solid Angle (along with busily trying to tie up a few odds and ends in order to conclude his development work). It wasn’t a surprise by any means.

And that leads to one of the other pervasive myths that Brecht simply disappeared from the Blender scene altogether, go to developer.blender.org and you’ll find he’s still playing an intensive advisory role in Cycles development and even contributing code for bugfixes and features in other areas of Blender. I’m guessing one reason why these myths spring up and persist is because the only Blender related places a lot of users visit is this forum and sometimes the official website.

I say, stay with cycles

There aren’t as many hacks and resources that are available for lux render,vray,etc as cycles.

…How do you piss off lucas tonne for godsake?

And last I checked,
the fresnel node is fine

If you are going to make the argument that it’s broken, please just say something other than extremely vague terms

And if your argument stems from the fact that you see Cynicat pro and 3d bandit create their own nodes,

That’s because they are doing, Physically based rendering, not physically accurate rendering, yes there is a difference

Why don’t you pay for render farm? That’s the fastest but it will cost a few bucks per render.

I wasn’t talking about Cycles specifically, but it pertains to it as well. I’m aware that Brecht didn’t leave overnight, but you need multiple developers on important and complex features from the start with some coherent planing for years to come. Its the way its done in the commercial/non-open source world for a reason. There been roadmaps for Blender for years, but driving seems to go off road at least 50% of the time. And theres been pleasant surprises, and some less so. When I’ve seen gooseberry dailies and the amount of work on the plate for the people just supporting that project in development I knew realistically corners will be cut, and features won’t be finished. Its just the way it is.

The problem with all this is accountability. There is none. And you can’t say I won’t pay for this because the software is not developed to suit my or even common needs better and make some kind of impact since its free. Vote with your wallet doesn’t apply here :).