Allegorithmic's Substance Painter announced. Next Gen Texture Painting?

I see 69€ on Steam, not 500€+ Do we speak about the same software as linked above ?

That’s the useless noncommercial license at 50% off. Go look in the FAQ. I was seconds away from buying it too.

a quote from the company regarding the non-commercial for indies.
“As a side note, we decided to allow the use of the Non-Commercial version for people generating less than $10K per year in revenue, so indies or people doing freelancing on the side can use the non-commercial version for their projects for example.”

Clever marketing this: create the hype and expectations, let user’s emotions cook a bit, then set the financial bar quite high on the software (I mean, $1000 for SD and SP is quite expensive), gauge the responses, start bartering with the beta users to achieve the highest possible yield (and in return increasing the perceptional value and “I want factor” of the product in the eyes of the users), while at the same time bringing in development money from the early adopters - who happen to be extremely thankful for becoming alpha/beta testers AND pay for the honour.

And publishing the beta on Steam hands you the community on a plate.

Someone really thought about this. Reminds me a bit of a well done personal kickstarter project.

@Herbert123, it’s basic marketing. You can’t expect a professional tool to tost less than $500 today. Blender’s “business model” is unique and I feel that we are all getting a bit spoiled by it.

Seriously, I don’t get why people refuse to recognize that 3D has the unique distinction of being both incredibly niche, and incredibly difficult to develop compared to other software. The only way for a commercial entity to make up their time and costs is to sell high.

Just to be clear, I don’t necessarily begrudge them that they set the price as they did, I simply found it mildly entertaining to see a blatant about-face like that so I decided to post it.

You are right on that, whether intentional or not, they kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one. HOWEVER, they recovered nicely by stating two things:

1. Price is not set in stone and is likely to change
  2. Non commercial can be used for commercial and that the licensing will change to address that, only thing they ask it that if the software ends up resulting in $10,000 of anual revenue, then buy the full commercial version.

Thats about as friendly and pro consumer as you can get. Dont feel bad about buying it now.

On top of that, the Allegorithmic apps. have a number of ‘first of its kind’ technologies in them, in reality, they would be able to get away with much higher pricing because they were the first and it would be a while till competitors caught up.

But, if it’s looking like you can use the non-commercial license for commercial until you can afford the 1K for both apps., that seems rather good on paper, but how in the world is Allegorithmic going to enforce this without having code that literally ties the app. to your business account?

Well, if you are serious about development, then the pro version offers other stuff developers could use in their pipeline. Integration between all their apps and with unity. But most likely they’ll end up relying on peoples ethic principals :slight_smile: Maybe check the developers that sell their stuff on steam (those that use their software naturally) if they have the commercial license.

Build 319 of the beta just got released.

2d view/painting now available.

Full list of whats been added can be found here:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/273390/discussions/0/558749824447136130/

Add: video

Got the indie licence for like 20 bucks when the whole Allegorithmic pack was 50%, no regrets. If Ill end up making more than 10k a year, Ill get a pro licence. A great move on their part, it`s affordable for most people now.

Well, if only Blender had:

1. cycles baking that can bake all the PBR channels maps from the given node setup - this one is coming
  2. PBR realtime viewport

Than you would either need a very clever nodes setup with several complete materials on the input side to mix them by painting their masking, or a feature to apply materials by some kind of master mask, painted in texture paint mode. This alone, even without all the extras, would be a fantastic tool…

Quick shout out to Pawel Lyczkowski for getting some of his work (junkbot) featured on the Allegorithmic homepage.

I’ll wait until 4k+ maps support and multi tile uvs.

Not quite Substance Painter…yet but Designer just got its update today.

Add’s some post processing effects.
<br>

Sigh… maybe one day we’ll have a cool realtime viewport like that…

24 hour Flash Sale on Substance Painter/Indie Pack

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/273390/
NonSteam: http://www.allegorithmic.com/buy

Painter: $49 @ 66% off.
Indie Pack (Painter, Designer, B2M) $125 @ 50% off.

<br>

New updates with 1.1

Lol, I tried to buy it from their website but it seems that their servers can’t handle all the people trying to access it. Ended up buying it from Steam instead.

Shoot them an email, and they will give you a key for the non steam edition as well. Pretty much if you have it on one platform, they will let you have the other for no extra charge. Gotta love allegorithmic.