Advertising for help - Commercial & Non-commercial. Read this first!

Hi,

Did the same rules apply to someone who want to offer is services for being paid ?

Hi Blender’s users,

I am looking for volunteers to participate in usability test that is based on Blender software conducted in Hamilton, NZ. This usability test is about 55 minutes to 1.15 minutes long. Participates are not asked to create any model from scratch but only to to manipulate the existing object. If anyone is in the area and interested to take part, please send me a private message.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Air purifier - tips and trics!

Air purifier - tips and trics!

Here’s my ONLY tip when it comes to DOING freelance work:

1. ALWAYS INSIST ON GETTING PAID UP-FRONT BEFORE YOU START ANY WORK AT ALL OF ANY KIND!
    You don’t have to get crazy with it. You don’t have to be a prima-dona (although I’ve decided that it helps!)
    Most of us are probably not Da Vinci, Van Gogh, or George Lucas.
    BUT OUR TIME AND WORK ARE VALUABLE, even if only to us.
    SO, INSIST on a RETAINER FEE before you even get two sentences into any discussion about doing animation for anyone else.
    I’d say that “Half up front, half on delivery” is probably fair.
    It’s up to you.
    But show the greedy capitalist that YOUR SKILLS have VALUE. Your TIME HAS VALUE, even if the only thing THEY value is someone else’s own cold hard cash and their CRAPPY WORTHLESS PRODUCT.

Now, I know you want to believe them when they tell you that making them an animated commercial will “look great in your portfolio and get you a lot of entre into the biz.”
BUT THAT IS HORSESHI*!
We are artists. You have better uses for two weeks than to spend them pulling all-nighters making sure that your animation looks absolutely perfect, receiving daily calls to “please hurry up with that animation, we really want to see it!” only to find out that they refuse to pay you anything for your work because they decided to hire their “marketing guru friend with drink industry connections instead,” they don’t bother to reply to your incredibly humble form letter linking them to their new animation that you’re so proud of, and that you only find out you aren’t getting paid when their friend, your roomate, calls them for chitchat about the dog and their nightly barhopping.

GET A RETAINER BEFORE YOU EVEN THINK OF AN IDEA TO PITCH THEM!!! !!!

Personally, I want my two weeks back. The consolation prize of a case of the yucky sports drink is no consolation.
And weren’t you trying to make a sci-fi movie before the busy-bodies decided they could use you as their creative slave to sell their worthless crap?

When an artist wastes two weeks of his time, which he would have preferred to use working on the next “Star Wars,” to make a sports drink commercial, and then is told condescendingly that, “while we aren’t going to buy the commercial, we ARE going to send you a whole case of our drink as a thank you for the free publicity!”…
things like this might tend to happen…

GET A RETAINER BEFORE YOU EVEN DO ONE MINUTE OF THOUGHT OR WORK ON THEIR CRAPPY UNCREATIVE PROJECT!

(I apologize for the screed. I’m telling you, it REALLY pisses me off. RETAINER!)

As someone who is coming here with the sole intention of recruiting blender artists, for money of course, I wish there was another option to bypass the 10 post rule (perhaps a complicated series of capchas?).

I am looking for talented individuals since my blender skills are limited. As such I feel that I don’t have anything useful to contribute while I attempt to not spam my way to 10 posts. Guess I’ll keep it in the off topic board.