Advanced vehicle physics

Well, you can always make an “Ice Racing” simulation! :wink:

lol, YES WE CAN.

I was thinking in a drifting game, but, I have to find the right value for the grip, but what I really want is to get the car realize when a single wheel get out of the road.

hello! First of all great work! I like it!

However I have some strange problem to report. I tried this first on a ubuntu 11.10 laptop and the car didn’t move.

Then Ive tried it on a win7 machine and everything worked great.

Now I am on another win7 machine, using the same build and I got some really weird thing. The car accelerate, but the turning is inverted. I mean… is kinda strange… the tyres look to turn in the right direction but everything is a big mess when turning… what could this be??

I’m using ubuntu 11.10 and blender 2.61, I think the problem is using blender 2.62, there is a matrix python stuff’s change between this two versions.

wow I think you are right. I was sure that I used 2.62 at work but probably not, because this morning was doing the same stuff on that version… Guess after 10 hours of work I was a little tired :smiley:

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I think this code will be helpful to me to study python (which Im starting now…)

Ack! I completely failed to notice this thread had recent activity! D: Terribly sorry; I have in fact updated the scripts to the new matrices, I just forgot to post the update here. I’ll clean it up and upload ASAP.

Just a note, I’ve changed the vehicle model to a custom one, but going back to the Evo is quite easy if you guys prefer it. See what you think. (once I’ve uploaded it.)

Edit: Or, instead, I could replace it with the Evo X… decisions, decisions…

Update! Kept the Evo 8 after all. I don’t recall if this thing had a version before, but it’s now v0.9, since it’s getting close to being finished.

Self-contained .blend this time; I’m sure people don’t like dealing with archives and separate python files.

Please use this for games! Please tell me if it works right! :smiley: Also please note the file is currently in GLSL mode; it should still work in multitexture but if all else fails, as usual, try wireframe.

http://www.gameblender.org/download/file.php?id=3491

…Hrm. Seems I didn’t do enough tweaking. If you want to increase the top speed (since it’s kinda slow right now), go to ‘vehicle_evo’, line 60, and change engine_damp to something less, say 5.

Skid doesn’t work anymore.

skid marks don’t work anymore as stated above ^
but I like the physics of this version alot more. I find my self turning the anti skid off.
still really good. and if it’s ok with you. I would like to use this in my game(with credit of coarse)

very cool!

i right in this days play with a car (prefab) ,is cool , but not have the real TRACTION !!
NO REAL DRIFTING!!(impossible!!!1) i want drifting of power with GAS!!! (not for oil)!!

how make the traction only on the wheel rear?
and give more power?

PS:

i have some issue with
Geeborg - Proof of concept.blend
framerate say 120!(O_O) but think is a error (whats? i have a “tap” a 60)

i have 2.61, i think this can be the problem.

i preffer
vehicle_raytesting_2.6 - Evo 8.blend

thanks! cool

PS:
the script is to clean a “bit” ! :wink:
the material is a too heavy (can be cool and fast with right choose! sure)
the camera lock is not cool , much better a kind of slow parent (“slow parent evolution”)

anyway , is the car more advanced which I see ! great ,and thanks

PS3: except Richard Burn Rally of course!

i know its an old thread…
anyone still working with this file ever??

any new update? … i cant figure out how to make the keyboard work in the newest version… its all converted to work with joystick

No it works with the keyboard and a joystick (look at the readme).
But due to a change in the source code there is also a bug little bug in the code.

advanced_vehicle_physics.blend (731 KB)

Nice work fixing it :smiley:

hmm… so the only change in codes is: r_flare.py, line 14, you got rid of “Inactive”

what are the changes to the .blend?? … lol, how is it like 1.5Mb smaller?

EDIT: idk what i did different, now it just works… my PC being funky??? … i dunno, thanks!

I’m just gonna put this here, then crawl away and be ashamed for a while. ;_;

Sorry for how late this is. University, y’know? It sucks all the time away from you.

This is v0.95, update notes can be found in the readme script. It requires Blender 2.69.

Edit: Reuploaded to fix broken XML files.
http://www.gameblender.org/download/file.php?id=3571

Ashamed?
Why?
Your “vehicle simulation” still is the best one available, and excellent by itself, unless… there’s no vehicle in the "vehicle simulation?
Thank you anyway!
Bye

I have problems with steering, the controls seem backwards. I’m probably doing it wrong.
P.S: I love your signature, Raiderum!

It would be better if this car had doors that could open on either side.Preferably four doors.

This is great!

However, only the evolution model did work for me when modifying the loadXML function path in script “player”. I fixed the problem by adding “vehicles/” in filename variable inside each .txt car file (for example filename = ‘tank.blend’ => filename = ‘vehicles/tank.blend’).