Advanced Modifier Array

Bumping this thread again. I have sent a few smaller donations but it doesn’t seem like he is working on this anymore. Does anyone know what’s up?

I’m interested in a finished version of that Modifier as well.
He did not answer my E-Mails.

Maybe we have to develope this Modifier in a (hopefully) more reliable way on this platform:

Kind regards
Alain

Will this work with Blender 2.70 Official?

I’d like to try this, but not sure how to install it.

Can I download the latest patch, save it as a .py and put it in the addons folder?

Later…
just found this Blender w/AMA download…will try it. :wink:

@Alain, yeah maybe Blendermarket is the way to finally get this but I have already invested money into this patch and it would also be a waste to rewrite it completely from scratch again.

@Megacal, I do not think it will work with the latest Blender. To use it you will have to patch and then build Blender. There is also the beta patch on graphicall but it is insanely buggy and prone to crash, it’s nearly unusable.

Good luck in getting this in trunk… Maybe when i’m twice the age I am now…

SHORT VERSION

Add AMA to trunk

LONG VERSION

No one ever listens to me and that is fine. You don’t even have to continue reading this…
I really don’t understand why such an amazing feature is so underrated. It’s unfair to put so much pressure on CGCookie and ask them to continue to carry the community. As far as I know, they’re the ONLY ones who actively try to push blender to the next level. The Blender foundation and all the amazing usual suspects are all busy with the roadmap, open source movie and other stuff. But I guess we could ask CGCookie to do what they did for the Ocean Sim for this.

We need some sort of blender only kickstarter site/service where we can fund projects like this. I’m sure the CGCookie crew is busy enough, but for now they’re the only ones capable of adding a service/site like this. It’s a fairly easy concept, post a project, put the amount needed, and the community backs it. We promote each project until it gets enough fuel to take off.

I wish we could come together as a community and help Fabio Russo. Even if it means backing up the project enough so he adds it to the BlenderMarket.

I love this community and I think you guys/gals are awesome. But sometimes I feel like it needs to be a bit more focused.

@windex
I agree with you.

I guess since Fabio Russo is not answering he is the wrong person to finish it.

But where can we find a talented coder who can finish or recreate the Modifier within the next, let’s say, 2 months ?
A Platform like kickstarter for Blender would be cool, I thought blendermarket.com would offer this, but obviousely I missunderstood it.

What possibilities do we have to finish this Modifier ?

Kind regards
Alain

As far as I know, they’re the ONLY ones who actively try to push blender to the next level.

They do just fine, really interesting development.
but are they the only ones?
Did they develop dynamic topology?
Do they develop texture painting?
On UV editor maybe?
Do they work on render engines?
On cycles baking development?
Maybe they can improve or re write the multires modifier?

Do you have any idea how much the core development costs? In hours, money, developers…
What is this next level looks like?
Do we share the same ideas, same needs?
Do we have in mind all the possible workflows in blender?
Meaning, do we share the same ideas about the UI of blender?

However, I would love to see a new advanced array modifier, a so useful tool.

It wasn’t CGCookie that did that but a Blender user named Todd Mcintosh who organised his own fund raiser and coordinated things with the original author of the Ocean Sim modifier, Matt. Most fund raiser are usually started by developers themselves. If you want to get this done take a leaf out of Todd’s book and get your hands dirty and start your own fundraiser. The one development fundraiser I have seen from cgcookie was for their own add-on, go figure;) .

The problem with AMA is that is not strictly an add-on. It´s a modifier that has to be build with blender. So it requires to create a new build with each new version of blender.

Usually addons have to be modified after new versions due to change in API or things like that. But most of them work pretty well trough different versions.

PD: I´m also pretty interested on this feature.