[Addon] Script Watcher

I don’t think text editor tool shelf would be better, since script watcher does not load anything as text block, it might even create some confusion - one might actually think it’s necessary to load script as a text block and have two instances of scripts running, etc.
Maybe current place is not the best, but the text editor should be considered last for this reason.

And as simple as Script Watcher is in its idea - I really like it!

Thats a very good point, I hadn’t really thought about it in that way, but I can certainly see how confusing it would be (especially to new programmers).
I agree that the current position is a little counter-intuitive but I can’t really think of a better place to put it.

I tried your script but not success!
i activated your watch script added file name

then I opened up file with notepad2 and did some changes
and did see some new lines in consoled system but also in the console in script screen mode

Note: it looks to me there are 2 consoles here one you access from top header menu
which is used for printing values
but also another one
can you elaborate on this ?

thanks
happy bl

So the console from the top header menu is basically blenders system log. It outputs there when an operator runs, whenever there is an error and in a few other cases as well.

The python console editor (e.g. the console at the bottom of the window in the scripting layout) is just that, an interactive python console. If you check “Use py console” before you click “Watch Script” then all output from the script that you’re running will get printed to that console with the prefix ‘[Script Watcher]:’ (e.g. ‘[Script Watcher]: Hello World!’).

Lastly there is the system console. If you’re on Windows then you can open it if you go to Window > Toggle System Console otherwise you have to start blender from the system console. All python output (print statements, errors and everything else) will be printed to the system console.

I hope this makes it a little more clear whats going on, please let me know if you have any other questions.

I have a problem to install this script (v0.6 ) --> when installing from file , I can’t see it in User Preferenses/Add-ons, but when I copy/paste it in
text editor and run —> I see interface in Properties > Scene > Script Watcher and it works, without errors in console .
Configuration : Blender 2.77 -30.04.16, Debian 8.2 Mate, CoreDuo E7600 ,Nvidia 460 GTX.

ps —> now I can launch it with Script Runner, but the reson of invisibility of script in User Preferenses/Add-ons
is interesting .