[Addon] Render Shots - v0.3.1 - (28th July)

Yikes! I’ll rest easy knowing it’s nothing to do with my add-on then. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve uploaded v0.2.1 and you should find both issues fixed. If you come across anything else, gimme a nudge. :slight_smile:

Also, if you have any feature requests for v0.3, gimme a nudge! :smiley:

Great Addon! Really helpes me…thanks!

Nudge :smiley:

To frame a shot right you need to set Blender default render resolution to the same as the specific render shot camera you want to render so you see what you frame.
So if camera-1 is 400x800 you need to set Blender render resolution to 400x800, and then do the same with next camera if it will have a different size.
Is it possible to have the addon changing Blender resolution when you switch between your cameras so you visually get the right size for framing? (did this make sense?)

This addon works really nice now :yes:

The more i think about the usefulnesses of batching different renders it makes me think in terms like:

• Make your settings, camera, resolution, render settings.
  • Add it to a render que.
  • Add another one with different settings, camera position, render resolution, render settings and so on.
  • Add that to the render que
  • Keep adding more render sets if needed
  • Run render que.

In a dream scenario we could basically render several really different shots, one with Yafaray another with Cycles and the next with BI
Imagine even adding different blend files and scenes to a render que then hit run que and go to bed and let the que do its thing.

:spin: (dreaming)

Howdy!

I think that’d be a nice little user-friendly addition! I already have an idea of how to do it. Consider it added in the next release. :wink:

Great! I hope you’ll like the new feature that’ll be added in v0.3. I’m keeping it a surprise though. :cool:

Jakerlund’s comment makes me think. Is it possible to use the plugin to render with multiple engines, maybe at once? Maybe it can only be consecutively. Even just consecutively would be great, because then we wouldn’t have to manually switch between engines for each render. That leaves us free to render overnight or send it off to a job queue. I think at this point, though, we’re getting into a whole new plugin, not strictly this one. Maybe integration with another plugin that has this functionality? A world of possibilities is opened up by this script, but I think we should limit it to the topic and original purpose.

Rendering with multiple engines would be relatively simple. I guess, even if we were to render the same shot with multiple engines. If we’re using internal versions, it’d have to be consecutively, as we’d switch engines between jobs accordingly.

I do agree that we’re getting slightly past the original purpose of this add-on with this topic that’s opened, but I do like the ideas. When this add-on has reached a certain level, I’ll look into writing a script that’ll queue shots (blend files, particular scenes within them, etc) - this way, we can go deeper into it and have a more dedicated design (maybe called “Queue Shots” :p).

I do like this idea, so at some point I’ll sketch out a design plan and open a dedicated thread, so those of you who are interested can keep up with production, the latest ideas, give feedback on betas, and suggest functionality. :wink:

It’s great how one project can lead to another! :smiley:

This is why this forum is so great, lots of good ideas and talented people making neat things.
One idea leads to another, later on we all have something very useful.

I agree that ideas has gone past this addon by now, I just can’t help myself getting over exited when i see a great idea taking shape and start thinking “what if it could do this…” and hoping that maybe someone would pick up on it and make things happen :eyebrowlift2:

The render queue idea is something I’ve dreamed about for a long time, it would simply be very practical to load a queue with different jobs and let it cook when you sleep or are at work instead of the one at a time thing.
Most video compressing programs does this, load a bunch of different jobs into a queue and let it run.

Thanks Aaron for this addon :yes:

Just updated to v0.3 - introducing “Shot Shapes”.

I’ll rewrite the manual so it’s more clear what it’s all about and how to use it. :slight_smile:

Hey guys! :smiley:

I have a couple of ideas for v0.4, but I’d love to hear what you guys would like to see added or changed. So, give me a nudge with any and all ideas and we’ll see what happens.

:wink:

This is in regard to the file system that you have set up. Right now you have us set each folder individually. What about having us set a parent folder, then the plugin will create subfolders based on the camera names? If we have a load of cameras in our scene, it’s pretty tedious to reset all of our folders if we want to move it, or after a blender crash. Those are what always get me, especially since I’m trying to render with Lux or something similar.

Building on top of that: give us an option to auto-create folders OR to let us choose the folders manually.

I wouldn’t say this is really a top-priority option, but I think it would be (more) convenient. Otherwise, it’s already a very full plugin, as far as I’m concerned. You have the ability to switch cameras with the push of a button, to include or exclude a camera from rendering, the ability to set exactly what you want to render and where to render it to, individual settings per camera, and you can do either a still or animation. What else can you put in here? Or are you going to surprise us with integration with another plugin? :stuck_out_tongue:

this is such a cool addon, thank you!!!

Hiya,

I didn’t think anyone would be using that many cameras to be honest. Plus, if Blender crashes, the selected folders should still be set, depending if the blend file was saved by this point. Anyway, I’ll certainly work on it and make things more convenient in that regard.

Even though it’ll be quite a simple integration, it’ll be a day or two before I get this done, as my PC’s motherboard has pooped. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the feedback. I’m really glad you’re finding it useful. As for what else I could add, I have a couple of little ideas. We’ll see what happens. :wink:

How are you liking “Shot Shapes”?

Also, I’m rewriting the manual to have a more clear explaination of things. I’ll get that up a little later today.

No problem. Enjoy! :slight_smile:

I really like that you added the ability to create a track constraint with a button. What’s funny is that I made my own type of tracking constraint just a month ago when I rebuilt my default blend.

What I don’t understand, though, is the rest of shot-shapes. When I try to add a mesh (monkey, for testing’s sake), set it to the shape, then navigate with the slider, the camera just wobbles about in no particular space. I enlarge and place the monkey in edit mode and that seems to affect where the camera goes, but it still doesn’t constrain itself to the monkey’s vertices. It just flies around in space. I don’t know if you planned for it to do this, but it seems fairly consistent. It also ignores the scene length in frames and renders however many verts there are in the object, even if rendered through the plugin window.

EDIT: I just came to realize that it might just use the zeroed out coordinates of the object, then you hide the object on a different layer.

Howdy!

Yep, one important thing I forgot to mention is that the scale of the shape should be 1. Either scale it in edit mode, or hit CTRL+A and select scale (in object mode), this will apply the scale to the mesh. Otherwise it’ll use the ‘original’ vertex locations. :wink:

As for the amount of shots taken, use the “Offset” value to add more frames. An offset of 1 will be one frame per vertex, etc. So, a shape with 32 vertices using an offset of 2 will produce 64 images, an offset of 3 will produce 96, etc.

Sorry about that. I’m writing a more comprehensive and detailed manual which will be uploaded very soon.

The “Shot Shapes” was mainly written to allow fast batch rendering of multiple shots using just one camera. The animation side of things is kinda limited in the frames regard, so I might throw in an option to use a set amount of frames. :slight_smile:

As for hiding the object, you can set it not to be included at render by toggling the render icon in the Outliner. :wink:

EDIT: I thought to check out your video. Okay, stumped! lol I’ll look into this and see what’s going on.

EDIT: I think I’ve found the problem: the rotation seemed to be off for the Monkey. I had a little play around, and applying the rotation seemed to fix the issue. Using other shapes shouldn’t pose a problem. However; if in doubt, apply location/rotation/scale. If all fails, shout at me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Updated to v0.3.1 - extra functionality, as requested! :slight_smile:

I love this addon :slight_smile: But, is there a way to be able to use this add-on in OpenGL rendering??
I want to be able to render in OpenGL for testing the animation (to fully render it takes a long time), but I also want to render the shots in the final render too!
Is there something I need to do to get that?? Or are you gonna add that feature to the addon yourself??

This addon has been pretty much fully developed. It looks to me, though, 2.68 will break the addon.

@Aaron

About a year later and it’s nudge time again :wink:

Render Shots doesn’t work in Blender 2.68.
Would it be possible to update it?

Cheers