[Addon] Display Layers (unlimited)

@Looch: you can select all objects in layer (add-on) or group (outliner) already

@jandress: I know about that behavior. My note goes to the fact blender has already functional system for managing object, so why spent a time by creating new one, instead improve existing. Posibility to restrict duplication object in more than one group can be an option, because there is a lot of scenarios where ability store object in more than one group is also very helpful.
(Like you have group of “Apples”, group of “Pears” and both of them can be in group “Fruits”.)

I feel it like users know word “Layer” used for managing objects in other softwares, that’s why a lot of them is calling for better layer system, it seems to me like if you will call “Groups” “Layers” users will be happy and they will ask improve Outliner.

Linguistically - “Layers” are something that can be stored under or above, that’s possible with 2D objects like images, but in 3D you are grouping objects not layering, right?

I just like to have fast access to my layers in the tool shelf and the possibility to give an order for a better sorting. Groups are used everywhere in Blender, for particles, lights,… the only way to have something that don’t interact with other groups I found is to create a new list. So, you’re quite wrong when you say that it’s the same. The goal is different.

I could have call it “object sorting” but who cares, the appropriate term in the 3d industry is layer… so, I call it layers. Like I said in the first post, this is nothing huge, even useless at some point, but just a more convenient way to group items for me. I though that maybe some people could be happy to have it too, that’s why I shared it.

If you don’t like it and if this make you sad, then, don’t use it ?!

Don’t take it wrong :slight_smile: My note was in all politeness to your work. From blenders history or development is clearly visible that users are looking for add-on like this. On other hand I also see people are looking for this kind of add-ons just because of the term “Layer” for reason you wrote - it’s used term in 3D industry. That’s what make me sad - they are looking for “Layers” mostly because of that word.

(My “linguistic” note wasn’t for some “evangelist” reason, I’m also looking for names that I’m familiar from other apps, it was just a note that “Groups” make a sense more from the word meaning.)

Goal of my post was only a try to attract you by Outliner in hope you would probably share mine opinion about already existing system that needs to be improved (to be good as you want to be).
Outliner has a lot of space to be more powerful, but there has to be someone who cares.

Groups for sure needs better sorting and reordering features and many more, but that is why I would like to see people like you interested in Outliner - you like a person who can change these things :slight_smile:
End of propaganda :slight_smile:

If you need “Layers” in 3Dview window, OK, there is nothing more I can say :slight_smile:

Hy Vincent, i added my Modifier by Type addon into your Display Layers:

It allows you to adjust the modifier for all selected objects in a layer.
Maybe you want give it a try …

And by the way is your addon a good start template for own custom things with template_list…

@for the group workflow:
> you can add modifier by type above the modifier stack to get the same functions like in this custom display layer version.

What would be nice is if there were a layer management addon that would let you NAME display layers AND display what layer a selected object is on by that layers name right next to the selected object’s name in the lower left corner of the 3d Viewport. I had commented about in the thread of another layer manager and was told that it would require a rewriting of the blender base code, not just a python addon.