AddMIDI

Hello Michael, this is a preliminary answer.

It was my plan to provide MIDI synchronization, there is actually some bit of code in the Add-On to deal with that, but it was not finished. I could make a try to fix that. I am in the middle of a festival here where I leave, will get back to my coding duties Monday. I will look more carefully then to the links provided about your interesting project. :slight_smile:

To all, there is a new easy to install zip archive for Windows : http://www.jpfep.net/static/media/AddMIDI_win.zip

It should work for 32 and 64bit systems but currently it’s untested. I would be interested in knowing if it works, the dependencies are provided in the zip file so nothing else to install.

Rats! Sorry, JPfeP, but I’m still getting the same error message! I wish it would tell me what DLL or module I need at least! Is it just my machine? This is so frustrating!

Thanks. Enjoy the festival ! In the meantime I’ll look closer at what you have.

Hi Michael, thanks, it was a nice event. I discovered there shamanic drums and overtone singing, pretty cool. :slight_smile:

A quick note to tell you that AddMIDI currently doesn’t have a module for the BGE, but AddOSC do have one and Reaper has some OSC support, however I am not sure how easy it would be to achieve what you want.

I would use PureData instead of Reaper in a similar case, but both could work actually.

Thanks for sharing these add-ons - I’m excited to experiment! Could you tell me whether it’s possible to send and receive MIDI in the BGE yet? I’m aiming to send MIDI out to Ableton Live, for example when my character collides with objects. I need to use quantisation and syncing in Live (it’s not just for simple triggering of audio within Blender).
Failing that, I can use OSC as you already mentioned.
Apologies if this has already been covered.

I can’t get this add-on to install. In the download, I see 5 .py files -

-init.py
-rtmidi.py
-midiconstraints.py
-midutil.py
-release.py

I’ve tried all, nothing ever shows up in the add-ons.

I’m very interested in developing a MIDI system to control Blender, and would certainly consider funding further development of AddMIDI. I messaged JPfeP, no reply yet. Thanks in advance for any help.

Please, see: https://github.com/JPfeP/AddMIDI/issues/1

Greetings JPfeP,

Wow…just wow!
Once the keying set understood, it is so easy to configure.
possibilities are endless, and enable us to use our midi keyboard as a whole new controller !

Thank you very much, from the bottom of the heart.
I think we were a lot to hope something like that from years.

1 Like

These .py files should be in a main folder that is zipped down, and then the add-on should be installable from the user prefs add-on tab.

Hi!

everything works fine except in this special case.
I maybe miss something , or can be a known limitation,
but is there a way to “midi link” things that can not be added to keying set please ?
like scene properties, and not only object properties .

More clearly,
I mean something like :
current frame in the animation editor (frame_current) . the add to keying set does not appear if right clicked.
or a brush size by example.

I tried to start from a modified text with desired item, or even copied the python item in addmidi field
I have error messages like this :

I understand that it is not the way to use the addon, I just try to find a way to use it for more functions.
Thank you

1 Like

I did that kind of tools for unity while ago but wasn’t satisfied by the results (Some midi event were lost from times to times).

But your addon look very interesting and promising. I’ll have to keep an eye on it. I succed to make your exemple working, but having trouble to understand how to drive stuff without python code actually, but i’ll make trial and error tests maybe i’ll find.

If i can succeed on that i’ll test it with my korg emx or another midi stuff that generate note and control change :slight_smile:

Edit : By the way, do you think there’s way with your addon to do stuff like in this video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs2dVcL_cZY like moving something in space (with nice movement interpolation or driven by curves or i don’t know), or chaging the emitting of a light smoothly ?))

Please, find some way to add a PianoRoll window in Blender to use with this amazing AddOn.
I actually tested it with LoopMIDI and MiniHost, truly wonderful.

In this case, a PianoRoll would send MIDI-Out to hosts. i’ve neither had need to use JACK.

Big thanks^2 if you do.

I don’t know how or why, I’ve been able to send MIDI Out events to MiniHost, but now, whatever I try, doesn’t work.
Please, help.

I’m using Win10, can some Linux user confirm MIDI out events are sent?

Hi, very fantastic, but can you explain a bit more about the init file… please

more clear, i try to make it working without animation or objects, and by creating those KS staticly in the init file…
without success :frowning:
is there a way to receive data from midi-in from channel and directlty play the sound ?
thanks

uriel

Ok, analyzing MIDI traffic generated on my machine, I saw 96 bytes are sent from Blender on starting an animation whose keying set was setup as NoteOn event.
I hasn’t been able to generate more traffic and neither to understand what kind of event raised the transfer.

Any idea?

EDIT: I saw the bytes are sent on activating MIDI (start button in the AddOn’s tab). But this could proof MIDI out signals are actually sent, because I have no input volume, just output.

Sorry for the lack of update and not answering much here. I am currently thinking about updating the Addon and probably merging it with AddOSC as they actually use the same mechanism.

I am sorry about the difficulties about using it, I currently lack of time to investigate the various issues you are reporting.

I think the philosophy of the future new Addon might be different (toward more simplicity).

If you’re interested, I’ve ported it to 2.8 https://github.com/iwkse/AddMIDI

I would pay for an addon that would allow me to import midi files :wink:

I’m working on that as well. I did some other changes on the AddMidi original addon from JPfeP. There’s something only committed to my local Git, the ability to identify intervals, chords. If you want to contribute PM me :slight_smile: