Add-ons and modifiers that should be developed

+10000
I hope one of these days someone could add them… (please don’t start with “Do it yourself” , with my programming knowledge I should finish them when Blender will read our brains)

Just wanted to address this for a quick second. “Yourself” doesn’t necessarily mean you. If, for example, you’re paying someone for a feature, you’re still taking advantage of Blender’s source availability. You’re still doing something “yourself” that you can’t do with proprietary tools.

I hope one of these days someone could add them…

+100500 from me to your wish

• many of those you guys already wrote :smiley:
  • sky texture with clouds
  • more cycles textures…
  • …including an ocean texture (reusing code from the modifier) to be used as bump even on a single face plane
  • subdivision level based on drivers (the most common use would be distance from camera subdivision). This is already possible but the subdivision occurs on the entire object. I’m talking about multiple level of subdivision inside the object, at the mesh level

Wow, so much +! How can you afford all these? Some people can barely afford +1!

Oh wait, now I realize it: All your pluses and likes and favorites are completely worthless. Does anyone ever say “I would chip in 50$ to have this developed”? Put your money where your mouth is!

I highly doubt anybody cares what random forum people would like to have developed, but if they do, I’d tell them: You really should find better use for your time.

BeerBaron, are you really calculate cost of this idea?.. not everything is measured in money…

I want real image layers when texture painting please. You dont have to initially support psd. It would be enough to just be able to texture paint on different image layers and save them as separate png files automatically

I’m not saying you should calculate the cost. If you’re not a programmer, you have idea what it takes to develop something. And if you’re a programmer, you will still have trouble estimating it.

I’m saying you should pledge what it is worth to you in terms of money. Then, if somebody is interested in developing, they can wager how much money there might be in it, and then things can happen.

If all you do is write forum posts with lists of what “would be nice to have”, a developer likely won’t even read it. It’s just a waste of time! Nothing will happen.

not everything is measured in money…

Maybe, but people do care about money. Who cares about a +100000000 from some forum guy? If you can find me a programmer that does, send them to me. I will give them a lifetime supply of +100000000, a retweet and a facebook like for everything they do, plus daily compliments - in exchange for their work.

Literally everything is measured in money. Even Blender itself runs on money. You cannot develop something as complicated as Blender without funding. Asking a skilled programmer to create complex features just because is insulting to the programmer. Even the GSoC student programmers who work on Blender get paid.

People who beg for features but never put their money to work to get them have no right to continue complaining. You get Blender 100% for free. Throw $50 bucks at a developer every once in a while as thanks for that good fortune.

Is it at all possible, to create own system to convert jpg-textures to png in blender.

Even dropping small bits of money, nothing will come out of it. I tried myself more than once. And even if it does happen, there is a tough barrier (patch ignoring and patch rejection). Unless(!)… you have quite good organisation and good pile of money raised…what Ton does with open movies, basically.

New hair system? Who could afford among us single users a full time dev for months? Open subD? Alembic? Nodification of everything? You’d say these are big projects, OK. Ton and the BF can manage it, it seems. Again, lot of money organisation and visibility…and decision power.
What if I want to drop 50€ for uvw modifier with widget? Seems trivial, but doesn’t it need a whole under the hood work who psy-fi is doing.? So my money are worthless the same way as a free request in this thread.

I’d suggest to not take this too seriously like in the past, these Christmas wishlist threads have been popped every year as you know. I don’t think they’re useful because what has been written here will be coded at no cost by " someone", however they highlight what Blender users would like to see to work smoothly. Which is not bad IMHO.

Yes. Some of us do. To well over the tune of just $50. However, some of us also find that harder & harder to justify when we see working, useful, and popular patches rejected due to not fully complying with Ton’s vision from ten years ago… whilst things like Pie Menus are committed, to great fanfare, and yet still require people to hack Python scripts together to utilise properly.

I’m not saying pledging to “chip in” will solve all problems and get everything developed by tomorrow morning. What it does is put some gravity to your words. “I’m willing to pay for this” means a lot more than just casually mentioning something you’d like to have for free. If I made a list of things that “the community” (by which I really mean “myself”) should get delivered to their homes for free, people would think that I’m nuts. Yet, when it comes to FOSS applications, somehow this isn’t the case?

If you just got into the habit of requesting features with a promise on your part attached, it would start making more sense for developers to read these threads. Features have been fundraised by forum users before, there was no big organization required, some of it was successful, some it not so much. In life, nobody can guarantee you success.

Even if you’re not getting a fundraiser going, you might still inspire a developer to create a blender market addon or so.

How often does that really happen though? I can’t think of that many examples. I agree that patches are risky, the answer to some of that is better APIs. A lot of stuff can be done with the existing APIs, some of it not-so-well.

Another option is getting (funding) a maintainer for an experimental branch that has all the interesting patches already merged in.

The ten year vision thing? Not so often. The “Ton/BF veto”? Often enough it’s been raised multiple times at Blender Conferences.

When Campbell is unable to push a feature through that barrier to adoption over eleven months, it does have an effect on people’s willingness to pay for development. that example is not the first feature to hit that wall but it is one which is inarguably held back solely due to Ton’s lack of approval.

There are not too many people willing to wait a year before maybe getting the development they paid for accepted. I know it has adversely affected my willingness to pay for development and I’ve paid well over your paltry $50 example for features I wanted in Blender.

I think a excellent model, would be selling games, and donating a percentage to fund development of all of blender, by choice.

this is what I am doing,

I love blender, and the game engine,
I think it can make money on steam, and have bet over a year on it.

what would I ask for in return?

better viewport and game engine real time gsl…

for developing games… not just bge games.

if we did this with 1 very succesful game, money would pour into development.

maybe have a icon/donate link that blender gives to projects that donate to development that shows the %shared per copy sold, and the total donation.

I’m aware of this - you’ve mentioned it before. Thing is, that’s kind of the point :wink:

The post wasn’t made to restart the old flamewar around this issue but to refute BeerBaron’s simplistic assertion that people here don’t pay for features and/or it is as simple as putting money where our mouth is. It clearly isn’t when someone in your position can have the code ready to go, tested by a Gooseberry artist, and yet still hit that wall when Ton’s approval is not forthcoming. Contrary to your rather laid back approach to the subject at times, you are kind of a big deal in regards to Blender development and eleven months (+ some) is a long time to wait for a feature that hasn’t changed substantially in that period. :wink:

That said, the point isn’t to bash the developers or rehash the (I believe amply proven) issue with the “Ton/BF veto”. Clearly money isn’t the deciding factor for feature adoption and so when people use it to dismiss people providing feedback as to how much a feature is desired - I get a little tetchy. It’s a cheap & overly simplistic tactic to shut down feedback. That kind of thing annoys me & so I’ll speak out against it.

In other words, it’s not just a matter of funding, the project must also satisfy the Ton/BF veto. Contrary to simplistic dismissals elsewhere in this thread. :wink:

So, what about a system to make it very easy to cherry pick and build blender,

like a mod manager for Fallout?

Then it does not really matter, people will vote with their feet? look @ users in wild using build X?

Blender isn’t really built that way or at that level. Think of it this way, Blender is the equivalent of the Fallout engine which doesn’t change regardless of the mod loaded. Fallout mods are the equivalent of the Python scripts & keymaps. As others have already pointed out, there is a vast swathe of functionality one cannot implement (or implement in a performant manner) at the Python script level of Blender.

This ignores the fact that features dealing with the same area of functionality/display will touch on the same code. Too often, merging two patches/mods of Blender will require a developer to get involved when the same area of code is touched by both.

Good job “refuting” points that I’ve never made. You can point out the problems with user-funded developments all you want, it is still a better alternative than writing your wishes into the forums and hope that some unicorn developer descends from the heavens to bestow features upon us. I don’t know what your solution to these problems is supposed to be.

The facts are that there has been success with user-driven funding with individual donations not well beyond my 50$ example. One should be aware of risks ahead of time and pledge what one can afford to lose without building a grudge.

Right. Clearly by telling people they should give money for development instead of express the community’s support for a feature, you were not saying they should pay for the development instead of expressing community support for a feature. My mistake, I thought you were being reasonable. It appears, as per your previous moniker, you’re still trolling the same people for the same reasons. To the ignore list you go.

Fact: The community expressing their desire to see the UI changed to better match other applications in the pipeline resulted in a change of management methods in BF & instigated development of what will be the new keymap.
Fact: Campbell started developing the coloured wireframes in response to the community expressing their desire for that feature. He has stated multiple times it was not something he needed or was passionate for himself.
Fact: I have no “grudge” based on money I’ve paid developers. Try that little projection tactic elsewhere, I’m not interested.