Adamant and Bellicose

I think this is a pretty decent work but I don’t agree with the praise its getting. I feel that two ships of that size would never refuel at the same time, especially that close together. There’s too much risk of damage and the damage could be catastrophic. Furthermore, both ships are being fueled in the front when the engines are in back. No way would you want that much fuel being pumped through the center of a ship. Lastly, I don’t think a picture of two of these ships together would be that hard to catch. If they were all produced at the same place, are of the size you make them seem to be, and are all part of the same fleet, it seems they would pass each other often enough for it not to be a spectacle when they do.
I’m certainly not trying to belittle your work. I really think the modeling is superb and it is a fantastic render. It is far better than anything I have done and I hope someday I can create something as complex as this. Plus I really like the story of how it is the dawn of one ships life and the others destruction. Very neat. This work has just been on my mind for a few days and I felt compelled to bring this up since all that’s been said are some excellent comments. I couldn’t let you get away that easy.

I like it a lot… very nice!

Hey finally a thread I voted 5 starz on made the Head liner!!! LOL!

???,??? ?? ???WordCube??? ???1???2??? ??? T,??? ?? ??? ???,??? ??? ???? ??? ???,louis vuitton ?? ??? ???o??? ???13???8.99???$ 19,chloe ?? ??.99???,Prada ??? ??? ??? ???13???28,??? ???.98???,??? ?? ???? ???,chloe ??? ??FoxCom???50,000??? ???6??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???X???,Prada ?? ???? ???,louis vuitton ???? ???,Fendi ?? ???… ??? ???,http://www.drowninginbrown.com/dib_mcm_sale.htm? ???.. ???: ??? ? ???.. ???PageRank ??? ???

@Jeffsg605: Thanks for taking the time for the detailed and challenging critique! As an answer to some of these concerns:

There is certainly a real-world precedent for large ships being refitted/resupplied together in one place so close. Also, please also consider that this is space. Please keep in mind that though overall orbital speeds are incredible, the speeds relative to the station and the other ship during docking maneuvers are usually negligible. Therefore, I doubt that these two ships docking so relatively closely to one another would be much of a concern. Also, in the image, the ships are actually hundreds of meters apart from each other.

The only concern I could think of in having two such vessels in such close proximity is security, as two of such valuable assets would be a very tempting target for any enemies.

As for the refueling question, why does it necessarily have to be the main engines which are being refueled? :wink: Also, in the image these ships are depicted as docked via a personnel docking port, not a refueling port. Could it be that the refueling phase is done and they are simply bringing aboard new supplies or personnel?

As for the rarity of this event, I ask the following questions:

There were only 20 of these ships built which operate in the vastness of space on missions that can last 6 months (or even more). For perspective: you have twenty ping-pong balls. Scatter them across an area of space the size of North America and have them move independently of each other on various, unrelated tours of varying lengths. At maximum speed, it takes a single ping-pong ball a year to cross North America. How many different supply stations would you have scattered across North America for these ping-pong balls? What are the chances that two of these will meet, even occasionally?

Don’t worry, I wasn’t offended by your post! I enjoy challenges as it makes me think. However, in this case, I hope you’ll find that the story stands up to your scrutiny and hopefully it doesn’t ruin the picture too much for you.

Thanks,

Dan

i’ve seen that design of yours before. not in such a stunning render though. excellent work, the details are awesome and the flares really add to the image.

I like it a lot… as usual, I like every art a lot that I like a lot…

LYogiI???Nokia???,??? ?? ?????= $ 10.40X???$ X??? toastat???BlackBerry???BBM??? ???,gucci ?? ??? ???,??? ??? ??? ???2???,??? ?????/???,??? ??? ??;??? ???,gucci ?? ??? ???,??? ??? ???? ??? ???,Prada ?? ??? ???,Fendi ?? ???? ???,??? ???… ???8??? ???2002?9???,Gucci ??? ???rencontre GRATUIT]]&gt,http://marketsquaresf.com/retaaisl.html;???rencontre]]&gt,http://watchmakerpublishing.com/colorbook.htm;???rencontre]]>??2013?9?25?00:01:02 0400Like??? ??? ???T??? ???parentsandteachers??? ??? ???.. ???: ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

@JDaniels: Very good answers, I appreciate you taking the time to justify your decisions on the design but if I may, a couple more questions.

I suppose my main concern in having both ships refuel at the same time would be that the damage or loss of one of these ships would be a serious hit to the fleet so risking damage to two could really pose a threat. You say there’s precedence of this but is there precedence of this in space? At sea you can bail out of the ship and in the air you can eject, but in space, you’re kind of doomed.

I suppose I assumed it was the main engines being refueled but you’re right, it certainly doesn’t have to be. A ship of that size most likely wouldn’t want fuel running throughout the ship and therefore may have to refuel at different points on the ship to provide fuel to different engines.

Your ping pong ball analogy is very good and when you put it like that, maybe this is a picture worth reveling at.

I promise I was impressed with the picture to begin with even if I was scrutinizing. I’m also finding I’m liking it more now that my questions have been answered! Thanks a lot.

@Jeff: Your point is very good about the danger inherent in having such valuable assets so close together. I’m sure when this meeting took place, the admiralty was sweating, eager to get the two of these ships away from each other as fast as possible. It seems ironic, however, that one of these ships was destroyed 5 days later while out on a mission! :smiley:

Even the least secure unforeseen event can be less dangerous than a badly planned mission?

Dan

Put me in the, “I like the star flare” group. It add dimension and texture to the scene. The version without the flare is very good, but the flare puts it in the professional level.

I have seen your website and the moviescene you made with these models. Pretty impresive. Is the background (erth) made in as well?

Awesome render, awesome story. Just awesome all around. Would love to see more of the story.

@SpinDizzy: Yeah, I’m partial to the flare version as, despite it not being realistic that you should be able to see it. The image just seems more dramatic and beautiful with it than without it.

@gerardopblender: The earth is a modified .blend I rendered in a separate pass and composited inside Gimp.

@Pro_V_Gamer: Thanks. Yeah, I’m writing up the story called Hammerstop now in my free time (which isn’t much). It’s an old story I’ve had in my head for a while, so I’ve had a chance to think about stuff a lot and get some of the wrinkles ironed out. We’ll see how it ends up after finally being ready. :slight_smile:

Dan

I love these, and the story and presentation you made here. Even the virtual needs a reason to exist. Superb work.

Probably my favorite piece of art thats been made in blender. Awesome work!

great work, love the story behind it also, gives an extra dimension to the art work :slight_smile:

@benovolo: Thanks. I’m glad you like it. I usually write up a story for a model I’m building while I’m rendering or letting the creative well refill. This gives me a sense of why something exists on the ship, what it’s for and why it’s there. =)

@Ataboy77: Wow. Thanks!

@rogerbootsma: I’m glad you like it. Thanks for commenting! :smiley:

This would take me years

Simply amazing work. I didn’t know so good a modal was possible in blender. Keep it up!