Ad Supported Business Models

Yup, a choice… and balance is restored. Although it soon becomes tricky in such over saturated market, as we see it happening to information (balance between truth & fiction). Noticed that majority believes ‘cheap’ (add) solutions are better (safer) than common experience. What am aiming at is, if someone chooses a ‘cheaper’ version of choice, should the person be subjected to subliminal messages that influence it’s personality. One might not realize it, yet it’s there (ie. form of beauty is totally deformed based on alternated images… IMO should be regulated - maybe with a notice of alteration “this image/information is altered/virtual…”)… but that may be already off-topic.
The frame is here, just have to recognize/establish a relation to the substance.
Yes, more choices are always better… though many consumers are still not familiar with the basic principal & relation of quantity vs. quality… and sometimes choices just bring chaos… :spin: … running in circle… hahaha

ps:
i like good, sophisticated adds :yes:… but hate aggressive, obviously fake smiles :mad:

give me a purple pill (an option to switch as i please, mercy me).

One reason Google does that is because those ‘free’ apps are ad supported using the Google Ad API so Google is getting a cut of their ad revenue.

@Sundial: It would be nice if app stores had a tag or something that would indicate if an app uses ads and you could just filter them out with a search. At least in Googles case, and probably MS here soon too, that might cut into their ad revenue so they don’t really have the incentive.

@Joe: The latest big complaint: Windows 10 is blowing through data caps

@Burnin: There is a point to be made about the misrepresentation of products which is actually the norm today. It’s one thing to pick out the best looking angles for your video games screen shots, but when you’re marketing a burger and displaying a burger with a bun that’s been dipped in plastic and condiments injected with syringes or you’re marketing a beauty product and air brushing your models with Photoshop you’re just lying about that product.

Piracy is ubiquitous yet rock bottom prices are not. That’s a pretty big inconsistency. This is however assuming equivalence. People really don’t care that much about apps yet there is two for every other program put together because the market is being used as training for up and coming programmers. It’s not just that there are so many. They are also the easiest to produce. Swing your arms and you’ll hit someone who has made one. People aren’t making that much off of game mods either. Well most aren’t. It’s similarly competitive for the same reason. There are a lot of people doing it.

Here’s an interesting catch:
Japan has plans to put advertisements on the moon

“Brace yourself for the era of lunar advertising. Pocari Sweat’s grandiose stunt is likely to become a trend, not an anomaly.”

Interestingly it is believed this lunar ad will cost less than one minute of ad space during the Super Bowl.

The rock bottom prices are a result of the end of scarcity in terms of access to high quality game engine platforms (Unity, UDK, ect…). The fact that anyone now can just pick up an engine for free and make a game meant that the market got flooded with first time developers, and one of the ways they tried to raise their sales was undercut other developers.

The sad thing though is that there’s millions out there who will even pirate 99 cent games, yes, the piracy issue is really that bad.

Not really, a lot of software is pirated yes, but the vast majority of users don’t download pirated software or even know how. Of those that do download pirated software they would otherwise not have the software at all so either way no revenue is lost. Piracy has a positive effect for many software vendors because there are additional users out there using and advertising their product, users that would otherwise not be using their product at all.

When I worked security for retail clothing vendors there was a rule they never broke. They never pursued a shoplifter if the cost of capturing and prosecuting them outweighed what they stood to recoup.

This recent anti-piracy push doesn’t make sense because it breaks that rule.

P.S. By the by, retail theft is a bigger problem than software pirating. You don’t need any technical skills to swipe a bracelet. You know what the retail outlets do about it? They just live with it. They have security guards and lawyers to go after the big time stuff and if they catch someone swiping a bracelet before they leave the store they convince them to give it back.

They don’t put video cameras in everyone’s house to make sure they’re not putting on a pair of stolen pants.

P.S. Retail security guards are not even legally allowed to touch you let alone detain you. Their job is to make you think they can.

P.P.S. Many retail outlets such as Walmart are increasingly using off duty police officers as security guards, yeah they can legally detain you.

… legally is no crime until one leaves the owners private premises/area/building with a product in possession without a receipt.
… cops are illegal to provide their public service commercially (anytime, 24/7). - report it!
… every citizen can legally detain you if you committed a crime, until arrival of the force.

ignorantia iuris nocet

Well when I was a security guard we were trained that we were not legally allowed to detain anyone and off duty police officers often rent themselves out as security guards, there’s one at the local Walmart, seems like a nice fella.

I see what it is, apparently security guards are legally allowed to detain you, but its considered unlawful imprisonment if you didn’t take anything so companies may inform their guards not to detain anyone in a bid to avoid accidentally detaining an innocent individual.

Off Duty Officers, Inc™., is a national provider of off duty law enforcement officers working in a private security capacity. Our off duty law enforcement officers are trained professionals. We excel in corporate, private, and governmental security venues. Law enforcement training and experience distinguish us from typical security providers. (Please ask about our references.)

Piracy is wide spread. There is a lack of willingness to continue with monetary economics to some degree and to some degree it seems possible not to. The problem is we really don’t have mature enough models and breadth of adoption right now to do it. It actually takes getting people to think about distribution in a different way. That is the hardest part.

App development has become increasingly affordable and easy as well. The reasonably priced, point and click “development” tools are cropping up there too.

People just don’t know how to process what we refer to as abundance. I’m not really sure about that concept myself. We’re just not suited to functioning with it. We evolved in natural resource constraints, or we are made for the garden. Both effectively mean the same thing. We were taking what was given us and now we are producing to accommodate our consumption. The technologies that birthed civilization gave us options that we just weren’t intrinsically understanding of. We unwittingly create scarcity in our systems when we could be accommodating with efficiency and re-usage. We don’t really know if resources are finite. They just appear to be. Given that, it may be the wisest assumption though.

…deleted

Here in the UK at least, security guards are classed as private citizens and do legally have the power to touch you, but like a private citizen you need a damn good reason to do so. You have to be 100% and completely sure that a crime has taken place before you can put what’s called a ‘citizens arrest’ on the person and detain them until the police arrive.

It’s the same here in the states, I was mistaken.