AAA game in future release Blender 2.8

Vulcan is a graphics API, like OpenGL that is used to draw 3D primitives (among other things) to the display. A 3D renderer will use this graphics API, or another like DirectX & OpenGL, to render game scenes to the display, without knowing how the display works.

Vulkan was written from Mantle, because the group started from scratch, creating a new product, rather than attempting to hack mantle into OpenGL. Even though Vulkan and a 3D Renderer are different tools, the comparison made here is that Vulkan took someone else’s work to create a new product, whereas taking someone else’s game renderer for an existing engine is like putting a 11" screen into a 6" iPod - you have to change everything else to fit.

If we talk about reimplementing other software’s features, that’s basically what everyone else does. The techniques aren’t so special, it’s their application-specific implementation, the very thing that makes it hard to just take someone else’s code / reimplement it - it loses its benefits.

***My earlier post wasn’t an attempt to mock / criticise your questions, rather to inform a number of other readers that such an assumption isn’t particularly valid within the software paradigm.

TLDR; the nuance in renderer vs graphics API and reimplement from scratch vs reimplement inside a codebase means that any efforts to change our renderer / other systems would need to be ground-up.

You could mock me because I don’t know anything about it. Thx for clearing it up.

So, I have to make 50 Nobel prizes, because, with my salary, that not possible at the moment. The only thing I would do is to find rich sponsors, people who own oil companies, rich football managers to pay Blender foundation for creating proprietary engine similar to Id tech 6/UE4. There are some people in the world who have money in abundance.

Well, there is a - small but not zero - chance that you might be exceptionally talented in making games so you might actually be able to create a triple A quality game in a surprisingly little amount of time and with minimum resources. It has to do with a thing that cognitive science called “insight”, when I studied it and dinosaurs ruled the planet.
The only way to rule out that case is to try - and that’s why I always encourage people to try, even it the goal seems way out of reach.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a next-gen engine integrated in blender. I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t be able to take full advantage of it, because I don’t have the time to create all the needed stuff and I don’t have the money to pay someone to do it for me, but I’d love it, for the sheer technological beauty of it.

I will try it. Maybe there will be a in future AAA game open sourced as Sintel. Can’t wait to see new game engine. I would like to be part of it.