A veteran Max user trying to pick up Blender. A few questions.

I think I’ll use the pie menu to change between viewports if I don’t manage to setup the quad view. I hate to lift my hand from the mouse only to change the views (I do viewport switching a lot!). By the way, is there a way to modify the “Q” pie menu? I want to make it so that the top, bottom, front, right, left and right pie buttons switch to ortographic viewports. Currently they switch to perspective viewports. Can I also replace the “Camera” pie button with “Perspective”?

I did just what you showed on your screenshot but now there’s a new problem. The header at the bottom doesn’t work. I suppose that it’s because it’s tied to the hidden viewport that it’s a part of. :frowning: Also, when I want to hide the side panels the viewports don’t resize to fill their space. I’m kind of desperate about Blender now. If I don’t find a way to make the quad view work I’m not sure if I’ll be interested enough to continue trying to learn it. Not working quad view is a big drawback to me and I’m very puzzled to find that such a basic functionality isn’t working. :frowning: Quad view is the foundation of any 3D app. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The header works, almost all functions are shared to all views, exceptions are viewport shading (Z, Alt+Z etc.), transform orientation (Alt+space), transport manipulator and lock layers.

It’s also possible to avoid the numpad shortcuts. For example, pressing Alt while rotating the view with the MMB, will snap the rotation to 45 degrees angle, so jumping from Front to Left to Top is just straightforward.

to enable orthographic view

Thanks a lot! This makes things a bit more bearable. Now if only there was a way to disable rotating when in ortho view… Any suggestion about this?

Secrop - thanks but this was a bit annoying to me so disabling it was among the first things that did in Blender. I’m sure some users find use for it but for my workflow I decided that I don’t need it.

JuhaW - yes, some things in the header panel work but some don’t. Also, as I mentioned before, the Tool shelf and Properties panel are not “global” but tied to their viewports which is not the right way to do it in my opinion. The should be global, irrespective to the viewport you’re in. Now the current functionality causes all kinds of problems like the quad views failing to fill their space when these two panels are collapsed and also seeing into the viewport they are part of if I’ve made them transparent as I’ve done now.

Stan Pancakes, Chafouin - there seems to be an issue with your scripts. If I delete more than one object/element and then undo once, the deleted objects/elements reappear but two at a time, not one by one as one would expect when he does an undo once. Is there a way to fix this? Also in the script of Chafouin when I delete a vertex it doesn’t delete it but dissolve it. Also, deleting edges with the script throws errors if I try to delete edges not connected to other edges. Sometimes it doesn’t even want to delete the edges without any error popping up. :frowning: Maybe I should go without this script for now.

By the way, where do I make suggestions for improvements to Blender? I really want to propose the quad views to be fixed and the Tool shelf and Properties panel made special menus, separate from viewports like they are now. If these problems are fixed I’m sold on Blender! It’s already a great piece of 3D software but it’s these tiny issues (that I’m sure easy to fix) that’s chasing away professional 3D artists like me from picking up Blender, we should all admit it and put biases aside. Yes, you can make-do without a working quad view but why do you need to? No professional artist would be inclined to work this way after they’ve been using 3d software with a working quad view for years and years.

How about 2 screen layouts, one for normal 3dview and second quad view, switch between them with toggle shortcut.

Don’t just hope! The very last line in that report, by Campbell Barton: “I’d rather see a good proposal for how quad-view should work, unlocked views should work a bit nicer but since this is not default the issue you run into isn’t so common.” If you have a solid proposal, submit it. Link to it right there in the tracker, or or see link below. Otherwise it’d stay in that state indefinitely. But if you decide to go for it, please keep in mind that…

Secrop - thanks but this was a bit annoying to me so disabling it was among the first things that did in Blender. I’m sure some users find use for it but for my workflow I decided that I don’t need it.

…you’re being a bit hypocritical. You don’t find this particular setting (holding Alt snaps the view at certain angles, similar to ZBrush behavior, by the way) useful, but what makes you think then that “all professional artists” would find your reliance on quad view useful? Or the “global” toolshelf? Everybody works in their preferred way, in Max, in Blender, in Maya, in anything. And in the end, tools don’t make professionals, their work does.

Also, as I mentioned before, the Tool shelf and Properties panel are not “global” but tied to their viewports which is not the right way to do it in my opinion. The should be global, irrespective to the viewport you’re in.

First of all, why? “Just because it’s like that in Max” is not a good argument. Blender was designed that way: each area contains an “editor”, with its own set of tools, just as Max was designed with a global toolshelf. But what difference does it make in the end? It’s not like you’re simultaneously working in all viewports: you’re working in just one. And to me, it makes sense to see properties of the viewport in that viewport, not somewhere on the side. Moreover, say if one viewport is a 3D view, and another is a UV editor (uncommon for Max, since its UV editor is floating, but common thing in Blender): following you proposal, we would need to have two global sets of toolshelves and properties anyway, or clutter existing ones with more and more tools as more different viewports are opened.

Secondly, because it’s by design, it’s not as easy to change as you think, as it goes back to fundamental principles Blender is built on: many operators actually do depend on what area they’re being executed in. Changing that would mean changing a lot.

Stan Pancakes - there seems to be an issue with your script. If I delete a couple of objects and then I undo, the deleted objects reappear but two at a time, not one by one. Is there a way to fix this?

I’m not sure what’s wrong off the top of my head, I’ll look into it.

By the way, where do I make suggestions for improvements to Blender?

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/FAQ#Where_is_the_right_place_to_request_features_in_blender.3F

Regarding future UI and design specifically, there’s already quite a bit being done.

It’s already a great piece of 3D software but it’s these tiny issues (that I’m sure easy to fix) that’s chasing away professional 3D artists like me from picking up Blender, we should all admit it and put biases aside.

Exactly. Putting biases aside. Yet you’re approaching Blender as if it were Max. But it’s not, and no amount of tinkering, customizing and fiddling would change that. I’m just as perplexed that you can’t juggle viewports in Max as easily as you can in Blender, and at its floating windows, or that in Maya’s default setup you need to go through a menu to extrude something. Yet I see people use that software merrily, because they’re used to how it works (or perhaps because they’re not familiar with alternative approaches), just like people who’ve been using Blender for a while are used to it.

Don’t get me wrong, I too think that quad view in Blender is awkward. But I personally find it plain unnecessary (in Blender, not universally), considering viewport flexibility. Can it be made more useful? Yes, but it needs to be designed. Or toolshelves, they are big and clumsy (text buttons with no icons, no easy user-friendly way to customize them i.e. by dragging buttons, only scripting, which not everybody is prepared, able or willing to do). Luckily, they’re being worked on (see that google document I linked above). Moreover, future plans consider various advances regarding UI.

But you say it yourself: these hindrances are minute, compared to the overall flexibility and available toolset (there’s also that tiny little fact that Blender is free, though :wink: ).

Yes, you can make-do without a working quad view but why do you need to? No professional artist would be inclined to work this way after they’ve been using 3d software with a working quad view for years and years.

Hm, the very first thread I linked you to was by Pior Oberson, who switched to Blender from Max, at least for his low-poly work. And honestly, from that thread I don’t remember him being scared away by Blender’s awkward quad view. Valve is also known to use Blender somewhere in their toolchain. But it’s all beside the point. People always yearn their comfort zone, something they’re used to. That’s what makes adopting new tools feel awkward, when these tools don’t meet certain assumptions or expectations.

Wait a second, I must’ve read this wrong initially. You want it so that “delete” deletes multiple objects at once, but “undo” brings them back one at a time? That’s not how undo in Blender works. “Delete” is one operator, one undo step. It’s not broken down into tiny “delete A”, “delete B”, etc. steps under the hood. And my script simply uses Blender’s delete operator (in fact, it just directly calls it with a different execution context so that the pop-up menu does not appear).

The behavior you describe can be scripted, though I should warn you I didn’t test it thoroughly. Messing with undo stack in operator is not something to do willy-nilly, I’m not sure how well it’d integrate with undo history and redo, for example. And the order objects being deleted/restored in depends entirely upon how Blender sorts selection.

bl_info = {
    "name": "Delete one by one",
    "author": "Stan Pancakes",
    "version": (1, 0, 0),
    "blender": (2, 72, 0),
    "description": "An object mode operator to delete objects pushing each deletion to undo stack",
    "category": "3D View",}

import bpy

class OBJECT_xOT_DeleteOneByOne(bpy.types.Operator):
    bl_idname = "object.addon_delete_one_by_one"
    bl_label = "Delete One By One"

@classmethod
    def poll(cls, context):
        return context.active_object and context.active_object.mode == 'OBJECT' and context.selected_objects

def execute(self, context):
        sel = context.selected_objects.copy()
        bpy.ops.object.select_all(action='DESELECT')
        for o in reversed(sel):
            o.select = True
            name = o.name
            bpy.ops.object.delete('EXEC_DEFAULT')
            bpy.ops.ed.undo_push(message="Delete "+name)

return {'FINISHED'}

def register():
    bpy.utils.register_class(OBJECT_xOT_DeleteOneByOne)

def unregister():
    bpy.utils.unregister_class(OBJECT_xOT_DeleteOneByOne)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    register()

Hey Stan, thanks for your input and encouragement. Don’t get me wrong, I’m still not giving up on Blender and I’m fiddling with it every moment I find a free time. In my eyes it’s a really powerful 3d package if you know how things work. I’ve seen outstanding work being done in Blender so it’s almost up there with the serious 3d apps. It needs just a bit more to be “perfect”. The Google Docs document is a great read and I’m eager for the proposals made in it to come true soon.

As for the scripts - no, I think you didn’t get me right. I delete the objects/elements one by one but after I undo Blender undoes the last two actions, not just the last one. I’m not sure why is that. Can it be related to my Blender setup? Does it behave like this on your side?

By the way, it still blows my mind how small Blender’s installation file size is compared to the punch it packs. Mine is 300mb. Just compare this to my Max installation of 2.7 GB. And I’ve not even installed all components of Max in order to have it as leaner as possible! I also love how Blender starts in literally a second on my SSD. Blender sure is already a factor on the stage and the quicker the big players realize this the better for them. And I’m saying this from the perspective of a regularly paying Autodesk customer doing work with 3ds Max for a living (which reminds me that the subscription renewal date is approaching soon so it’s time to plop a hefty sum for some more useless “features” and missing bugfixes!). I can also say that the development of Max has halted to a snail’s pace compared to Blender (and some other contenders also). Blender gets a new version literally every time I check. Autodesk on the other hand gives us a few totally useless cr*p features and from time to time there are a flashes of useful ones but that’s very rare. It has turned into a bloated monstrosity with features stacked on top of other features, stacked on top of other features, with no regards to cleaning and tidying along the way which produces bugs and inconsistencies all over the place. It also has an ancient core that is so outdated today that it needs a complete rewrite to be up to today’s hardware and software standards. But knowing how lazy and ignorant Autodesk is this will never happen. I also hate it’s blocky and old interface design that might have looked ok in the Windows 95 days but today it’s nothing but plain boring, ugly to look like, unintuitive and most of all uninspiring. Blender on the other hand has a visually pleasing UI design. I don’t know what is it about Blender but I think that it’s also the nice appealing and modern look that always tempts me to fiddle with it. It just looks good and appealing to the eye. Customization compared to Max is also much better. You could literally make it your own.

Blimy! That was sloppiness on my part for sure. The original operator is missing bl_options :spin:

bl_info = {
    "name" : "Delete without confirmation",
    "author" : "Stan Pancakes",
    "version" : (1, 0, 1),
    "blender" : (2, 72, 0),
    "description" : "An operator to delete objects without confirmation pop-up",
    "category" : "3D View", }

import bpy

class OBJECT_xOT_delete(bpy.types.Operator):
    bl_idname = "object.addon_delete_no_popup"
    bl_label = "Delete without pop-up"
    bl_options = {'REGISTER', 'UNDO'}

def execute(self, context):
        return bpy.ops.object.delete('EXEC_DEFAULT')

def register():
    bpy.utils.register_class(OBJECT_xOT_delete)

def unregister():
    bpy.utils.unregister_class(OBJECT_xOT_delete)

if __name__ == "__main__":
    register()

As for Chafouin’s script, I’m not sure, I only had a brief look at it.

Blender gets a new version literally every time I check. Autodesk on the other hand gives us a few totally useless cr*p features and from time to time there are a flashes of useful ones but that’s very rare. It has turned into a bloated monstrosity with features stacked on top of other features… It also has an ancient core that is so outdated today that it needs a complete rewrite to be up to today’s hardware and software standards…

A fair share of that is often said about Blender too, and some of it is true: it has areas that have been neglected for a very long time (like the game engine or VSE, though the latter recently started to receive some love; particles/physics is a mess of different systems, one render engine is outdated and frozen while the other one is still being developed and thus may be rough around corners, lack expected features, etc.). And each of the negative points is gnawed upon regularly and at times quite passionately, which rarely produces anything positive.

Like Max, it has a long history and so many pieces, but unlike Max, only so much developers. As you’ve seen yourself, some issues may stay unresolved for a very long time due to lack of input, unavailability of a good solution, etc. It’s not, by any means, everything a 3D artist would ever want. But it’s quite capable, compact, cross-platform and free, and is getting regular boosts in functionality thanks to open movie projects and hard work of the guys which often goes unappreciated or outright bashed.

I also hate it’s blocky and old interface design… Blender on the other hand has a visually pleasing UI design…

Hehe, beware of the “modern” crowd, I can already hear shouts about “convoluted, bloated and unintuitive hotkey-driven UI”. They’re often accompanied by the 2.49 crowd who couldn’t stand the 2.5+ look :slight_smile:

Ok, I have 2 new questions.

1. Is there a possibility to make Blender highlight the gizmo axes when you hover over them? In other 3d software they change color (white or yellow) so you know that you’re going to transform the correct axis.

2. Is there a way to make the rulers appear permanently in the viewport? After I stop editing them they disappear.

No and no, unfortunately.

There was a script showing a ruler on the side of the viewport!

http://www.ewocprojects.be/chromruler.html

happy bl

Thanks for the input. The script doesn’t work with Blender 2.73.8, unfortunately.

Some more questions:

<SOLVED>1. When I use Circle select/Box select I can’t move in the viewport. So every time I want change my viewpoint and select things I have to cancel the function and then activate it again and do this again and again. A bit silly in my opinion. Can it be changed so I can move/orbit while Circle select/Box select?

I think I solved this. I made it so that if I release the <C> or <B> key the function is cancelled.

1. Can I select many items in the Outliner quickly? I tried dragging with the mouse over the items but it doesn’t work the same way as in the columns with the eye and arrow icons. I also tried selecting by holding <Shift> but that doesn’t work as expected. It only adds to the selected items one by one. The expected behavior should be the same as in Windows - such as when you hold <Shift> it should select every item between the two clicked items.

2. How can I export my custom themes? I did a search in the forum and found that they should be saved in the “/scripts / presets / interface_theme” folder. But they aren’t. I can only find the default presets in there. Where are my custom themes saved?

No.

1. Can I select many items in the Outliner quickly?.

What happens with the outliner is if you click on the object name, you select the object, but if you just click somewhere on that row (outside of name or eye/camera icons), you select the row itself. You can select multiple rows (e.g. with B - border select), right click -> Select. This will select all the objects for which you have rows selected.

1. Where are my custom themes saved?

There should be a Blender configuration folder in your home folder (I don’t remember where exactly it would be for Vista and up, haven’t used Windows for a long time, this page shows where it’d be for XP). Look for that scripts/presets/interface_theme folder there.

Actually I remedied this to an extent. I mentioned my solution in my previous post.

Thanks, works better. But still could be even better. What if the items are more than the outliner can show? I would have to box select, drag the slider, box select again, drag the slider, box select again… It would be awesome if it could behave in windows - just <SHIFT> click on the 2nd item and Blender selects all items between the 2 clicked items. I’m sure it’s not something hard to implement but it will be a real time saver if you select things regularly.

Thanks! I found it in my "\user\AppData\Roaming" folder on my Windows drive. I thought it would be in the installation folder and was puzzled a bit when I didn’t find it there.

It’s me again. I was wondering how can I make image empties permanently transparent. Even if I set transparency to 0.5 image empties still fully occlude objects behind if they are not selected. If the image empty is selected, it gets transparent again. Is this a bug?

Object > Display > [x] Transparency