77 and still in that learning curve.

HI Ghost

They say a picture paints a thousand words and a video…

Let me know if there is anything else as I have all night :smiley:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65776980/For%20Ghost.wmv

Shaun

EDIT: Ghost I think maybe that maybe I balsed all up and did not maybe explain myself clearly enough, what I was trying to say was that there was no need to go through the hours of rendering the four second stops as you could just render straight through this pause and add the four second stop in an NLE. The mention of AE was an idea to jazz up what you had as I was under the impression that you were not happy with the way it rendered out and not the camera movements.

Hey, now we are on the same page. The stops, pauses, are done exactly like that in the Blender Video Editor. And, no doubt AE could do exactly that with reference to jazzing it up. However, I somehow think that is inside Blender also. Maybe inside color management with the films settings. But, thanks for responding and clearing that up. Here it’s mid afternoon and you are thinking of turning in.

Blenders Video Editor while not After Effects is still a pretty capable tool as you probably know. And, the developers have been giving it some attention lately. I’m a fan of old Film Noir movies from the early fifties. So a fade or a cross fade is all I need really.

Just to keep the thread alive if nothing else. I started this thread having moved a little animated project from YafaRay to Cycles because of the ability to bake. Obviously I started it to soon. Blender Internal and YafaRay I had a handle on so to speak. Whereas I had only done a few motion graphics efforts in Cycles. And, Nodesville was a unfamiliar neighborhood.

Still is as a matter of fact. I just downloaded RenderMan and the UI is amazing. Everything in one panel much like BI. But, no Vicki there will be no attempt to move this project again. Instead I’ve been attempting to learn a little something about Cycles and the materials while keeping a eye on render times per frame.

And, also Speed7 attempting to get some range and contrast compression won’t kill outright. I suppose everyone who attempts animation with render passes in my case from 300 to 140 sometimes wonders what a still would like. Hence this render. So I’m still here and still doing what we do.

My old gal friend is seriously ill but somehow putting on a brave face and carrying on. So Blender is still my escape. I once made the comment we are attempting to draw people into a fantasy. But, in the process it becomes a fantasy for us. The guy who owns this gallery, Billy Bob Jo Beauregard IV, has not a care in the world. Money is in endless supply. And, his days at whatever time they start are an adventure of sorts. To say Billy Bob is a ten percenter would be a understatement. Why hell he’s already wondering why this gallery is so small. :slight_smile: I hope you all are doing fine.

Tell Billy Bob Jo Beauregard IV I paid my damn $35.00 admission and I have only one question…

The gallery is looking good Ghost :slight_smile:

LOL Harley, it’s evidently a stoned janitor or part of the cleanup crew. Or, has the maintenance man got loose from the ‘Harley Hotel’. The invitation will be black tie only with no admission. Something I’m not familiar with. But, that is the fantasy world I mentioned.

Billy Bob has a wardrobe full of black tie wear. Hell, he gives thousands of dollars to both political parties to hedge his bet. So while a Northern Louisiana rake he is also pragmatic. Thank god he hired the bitch from hell to run this place while he’s searching out good barbecue in his Beamer with decent cold slaw on the side. And, you have to suspect the waitresses get the tip of their life when he shows up. Hey, he is after all Billy Jo Beauregard IV. A lovable but completely worthless individual with money. Who never forgot where he came from. If anything sets him apart it’s a love of art as he perceives it.

Finally out of that lobby. With a few glitches I will have to live with until the end of time. Oh well, first your money and then your clothes.

Hi Ghost

Maybe I am just tired, but I cannot really notice the glitches that you are referring to.

Had a look at the vid and I am liking it, nice to see you pause in front of the Blender painting a bit, also been meaning to ask you for a long time if that shipyard is the one where you worked?

That wall that changes I really like, how was that done, is it an mp4 or such that you have playing there?

Are you done with the foyer section now or are you going to be adding something to it? Would you still be maybe adding some sort of artwork to the floor in the 1st room we have privy to?

Also tried my tux on today just in case i got the nod to attend. :smiley:

Shaun

Thanks Speed. Yes that is the shipyard. The animation within a animation is simply a image imported as a plane. Cycles has handled that since 2.73 I believe. Regrettably YafaRay also didn’t have that. So, I was able to take a H.264 done in Cycles and bring it back in.

All done in the foyer thank goodness. Not perfect but as I mentioned at some point a individual has to move on. After a short break I have a idea about exactly what you mentioned. Adding some work to the floor that is. Man I’m looking at your picture. ‘Bond, James Bond’ :slight_smile:

The animation is lovely and I still love the concept.

On a site note: That poster of the Schwinn Phantom caught my eyes already in earlier versions of the video. And recently I googled for it. What a nice bike. Did you own one of these at some point?

minoribus thanks for the kind observation. The Schwinn Phantom:

When I was a young kid all you needed was a Schwinn bike, a Red Ryder BB gun and a baseball glove. That model actually came along a year or so after my bike riding years were over. In ‘The Cool’ teenage years bike riding was left behind.

England and Europe still used bikes for transportation but in America they were usually ridden by children after the war. The design of the bikes I think will bare me out there. Not that they won’t used by messengers, delivery people and college students. However, many of them rode English made bikes. Not only the design but in the true American spirit the constant cosmetic changes of the design. A marketing strategy we might have passed on to the rest of the world for all I know.

I do have to add through the Schwinn company of Chicago made the damn things to last forever. With readily available replacement parts, bearings, etc. Thus giving a youngster their first experience at turning a wrench. In those days doing the summer and on weekends a kid could leave the house at dawn and be back for supper. It seemed every adult in my town of ten thousand was a parent of sorts so we could do that in a happier time. And, we rode the wheels off a damn bike and abuse would be a understatement.

Hell this post should have come with a old man alert: Once again thanks for the observation. As you are well aware even just camera sweeps are a bitch at home and yes; ‘… some noise has to be acceptable’. When I finally introduce a MakeHuman character the render times will measured in weeks instead of days.

I just turned 78 recently and thought I would keep this thread alive. Also I think Vicki posted on here. Not much going on except I have become more familiar with Cycles. So as I moved into the back of this little gallery and had things looking almost acceptable I had to revisit that damn lobby. Where suddenly things didn’t exactly suit me. Hey, that’s what we do. One step forward and two back.

But, one observation if I haven’t made it already. I scaled this place in real world dimensions and occasionally checked it with the default camera which in any 3d program is 35 mm. Then I discover that is biting me in the ass. A 35mm camera is nothing like our eye. The fall off in some scenes is galling my ass as I attempt to stage this.

So you have to wonder why a 45mm camera isn’t the default in 3d graphic programs since it more closely resembles our eye. If I ever do another interior I will simply make the outside dimensions large enough to accommodate a 45 mm lens. And, don’t ask why I didn’t notice this way back when just simply chalk it up to a case of terminal dumb ass. In the example below I tried a 50mm lens and kind’ a liked the results. But, then the entire place was not laid out for a 50mm lens.

To my American Blender friends enjoy the holiday. And, maybe consider cleaning up the grave of that Uncle you were told about. The one who went off to fight for flag and country in whatever war. And, his adversaries could very well be doing the same. Will this never come to a end.

Attachments

After playing with Cycles for a year I felt like that damn lobby needed to be revisited.

Attachments

I know that feeling. Over time skills advance and personal expectations grow. That’s a good thing :slight_smile: And the new render is definitely an improvement. Maybe the white balance could be tuned a bit. I recently learned how to do that in Cycles from a tutorial by cynicatpro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpwrNXiDGfM

Hey Ghost

I think that the title of this thread needs to be updated as it is now obsolete and outdated. :smiley:

Agree with you and minoribus about the skills, I have looked back on some of the stuff I have done and thought was pretty good at the time and sat back and thought, WELL this is crappy, but as you guys say it is just the skill level increasing.

Lobby is looking good, who is the guy upstairs, a workman or an artist seeing that his work is presented properly?

I think you need to get a bump map on the floor to break up the glossiness a bit and add some variation to the tiles, I can help in this regard if you need.

Looking good and looking forward to updates.

Speak soon my friend

Shaun

Good ghost, I remember this scene with Yafaray. Old dog is still learning and keep on that :slight_smile: It is not the age, it is interesting/passion.

Know what you mean about feeling the need to revisit things. Each time I learn something new, I am tempted to redo things, some of my first stuff now I cringe at. :slight_smile:

Thanks for stopping by guys. Not complaining just explaining. My mighty GT 530 has 96 CUDA Cores. Meaning I can get a material just the way I want it only to find in 6 to 8 minutes of rendering it still looks like marbles glued on paper. At that point I start walking it back simply looking for what might clear quicker.

If a new machine fell out of the sky with a GTX 760 I would not only re-render the entire thing but many materials would have to be redone. Well I would want to redo them is what I mean. It just occurred to me a WIP would be a excruciating exercise given this.

Speedy there is a bump map on the floor. In reference photographs it seems most of these places use commercial grade linoleum and immediately apply a high gloss clear coat. Some of them look like mirrors. By the way I can pickup 15 seconds (200 pass render) by not using any bump map. Regardless here the bump is run up to a obscene level just for you. : ) The guy will be a little story line eventually.

minoribus thanks a lot. Reminds me of the 17% grey card with the old school cameras. After running the drill I rethought the lighting out front here hence the shadows changed slightly. Might also be time to run your QuickGamma on the monitor again. The Metadata was included just to give you some sense of what life is like with a GT 530 card. No doubt you remember something similar but we have a tendency to forget. The back of the place is rendering reasonably well and obviously the floor is kicking my ass in this damn lobby. And, of course motion blur time has to be added to this. I’ll get this shot back to about 6:30 with a moving camera probably. Thanks guys.

Attachments

Damn now we are triple posting images! : ) JuhaW and colkai thanks for stopping by. colkai that is the way it is alright. Until we reach a; ‘It is what it is’ point.

JuhaW occasionally I will catch myself smiling and wondering why a simple concept is taking me so long. After all Blender is not rocket science. Also along with age comes certain traits. Moving from 2.49 was a bitch for me with some resentment I might add. ‘Damn kids are always fucking with something’ Then just when I finally had BI down here comes Cycles with those damn nodes. That aside Blender keeps me engaged in something since I’m not up with playing cards with a bunch of other geriatrics.

And, while on the subject how about old Ton, the developers, and Blender. Back with 2.49 I use to tell a daughter I could maybe utilize twenty percent of what was in there. I won’t be making that statement again in this lifetime. Anyway thanks for stopping by guys.