3Pointedit - Sketchbook

Here is a quick render of the animation files on these pages:

All the hexagons were hair particles that take the deformation of the parent shape.

In this case they are spawned from the volume of a sphere, then the sphere is duplicated with an array parented to an empty that is rotating counter to the source sphere.

Using the wonderful GLFlare kit from Carl Irwin I created this time tunnel effect: I exported the lens flare render first then mapped it onto a plane, subdivided it and applied a simple deform (bend). With a texture blend alpha to feather the edges you can spin the image like a corkscrew. Making a nice vortex effect.

spin down.blend (2.91 MB)

Attachments

1 Like

Batman phone sonar, mapping the interior of a building…

Particles and modifiers with a touch of compositing.

batman sonar.blend (7.28 MB)

Grab the .blend and have a play. There is a hidden mesh on layer 2 that serves as the building. There is an icosphere that emits a trail of halos (remember those!), the halos stick to the surface of the hidden building. The frame of the building is lit from the inside.

Here is a new sketchbook demo animation:

that is cool

Quick sketch, practising with cycles. Fun but soooooo slow to render without a graphics card.

1 Like

Hello,
really good stuff here, I need to take a closer look on your blends,
thanks for sharing.

Another quick datavis sketch…

Dispersing data.blend (1.35 MB)
and the .blend file. The key here is the cool new clumping curve, it makes the stream of data burst out into a fan effect.

Blobbly screen.blend (696 KB)

Here is an update on the screen effect, using a blobby noise texture.

That is cool, almost like a drawing there

It’s pretty cool I also made a version that animates the noise so it looks like each frame is sort of hand animated.

I’d liek to see about making it look like each frame is hand drawn, with different strokes like each frame is a sketch…

At the moment its a pointillist style rather than stroked. But I’m looking into that too.

Blender internal is soon fast to render. Knocked this up for BlenderGuru in 40 mins. Most of which was playing with lights, render actually only took 5 secs.

Yes, speed is a factor with internal as long as you aren’t trying to get the same look as Cycles - but for NPR, it is lightning fast and doesn’t have terminator issues in the smooth shading. I also like the way the internal procedurals work too

test paint streak.blend (1.5 MB)

a cool new way to paint splatter art with metaballs. WARNING baking metaballs is not good for the health of your PC. But the results are cool!

hahahaha yeah, metas can eat ram pretty quickly

super zoom back.blend (554 KB)

This time not a sketch but a neat solution to a Stack Exchange question.

How do I include really small objects in a scene with really large objects, to make a zoom from the ground to space?

I thought that instead of having huge camera clipping limits, you could instead scale the scene as a driver function from camera position. That is, when the camera moves away from the center the objects get smaller.

I Parented all of the scene objects (keeping transform) to an empty then added a driver to the empty.
var = camera location local space
driver expression: 1/var

The main problem with this solution is scaling materials and lamp brightness, I made the floor UV mapped for a texture. I guess generated textures would break during scale?

Haha I did and I love it. But I cant subdivide it enough for detailed paint effects :frowning: check out my youtube chanel thrre is a cubemeshed fountain somewhere.