3D Coat 4.1 is out with new feature

No Piotr
LOL, the new rules.
Sorry, stopping now
Just ideas, having both apps here, being a collector, zbrush here…
Not a vs thing, not at all.
Blender and 3dcoat is an excellent combination. You have all the tools you need.
After all there are some serious rumors. We may see an integration of cycles in 3DCoat soon.
Not just for presentations. Baking in cycles looks great already.
Just saying…

Could you clarify that further? It doesn’t seem like there is any way to compare retopology functionality empirically, except perhaps by compiling lists of features, or sitting artists down in front of both and measuring the time it takes them to retopologize a model.

I’ve just been learning how to sculpt and have been making good progress following many good video tutorials at CGCookie. The obvious issue is what’s next when the sculpted model is finished? Leave it with a dense mesh or retopo it? I don’t have Zbrush and have heard about its famous remesh feature. I’ve been thinking of buying a ZB license just because of that feature. And I’ve been having a ball with Blender’s dyntopo… Sculpting is becoming a major feature in most 3d apps today. BF needs to consider adding development resources into it. Perhaps they dedicate the next Google Summer of Code to it… just a thought.

You don’t need an auto retopology tool to retopo, and honestly I wouldn’t recommend it as the first method you learn. The retopo tools in Blender are far from terrible, especially using a combo of F2, bSurfaces, and ShrinkWrap, and the skills you’ll learn doing it are pretty vital to any artist’s toolbox.

However, this thread is about the release announcement of 3DCoat 4.1. Retopo discussion can happen elsewhere.

I didn’t intend to start another …“VS”…thread, nor was I looking to change the subject about 3d-coat. I was simply looking for some information after watching the 3D Coat demo video.

However, the forum moderators must remember there are constant new entrants to the world of 3D seeking information. Some of these threads serves the following purpose:

• They educate new people
  • They give the seasoned vets a chance to teach…some of your best learning comes when you have to teach
  • It helps many people who read the threads (but never weigh in) as well …often that’s me.
  • Finally it never gets old …looking at the same …VS…thread through a search from 4 years ago for example …can be very mis-leading because of how rapid software development is.

Sure there are knuckle-heads who “bait” people into meaningless discussions …we always have the option of ignoring those posts.

A brilliant package just got even better.

If you need a serious all-round boost to your modelling tools(sculpting, painting, topology etc) then 3D Coat is an excellent cost-effective purchase. I haven’t tried it out yet, but 3D Coat has an app-link to to just about every other 3D package out there - including Blender…

mifth said:Hi guys!

This is the topic for Simple3DCoat addon for Blender+3DCoat production.

Features:

• Set the “Exchange” folder of 3DCoat manually.
  • Custom Textures Path for export/import.
  • Export/Import through Obj/Fbx/Collada(Dae) formats. Note: Collada does not work on Linux.
  • ExportMaterials, ApplyModifiers checkboxes.
  • Simple to Use http://3d-coat.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/3dc_emo/smile.gif

Screenshots:

How To Use:

• Enable the Addon and set “Exchange” folder of your 3DCoat.
  • Export/Import models. http://3d-coat.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/3dc_emo/smile.gif

Current Version:

I finalize the Addon, as almost all features are added.

Download:
Last Download Version - https://code.google.com/p/blender-addons-by-mifth/downloads/detail?name=io_simple_3dcoat_0_3_2.zip&can=2&q=
Latest Sources: https://code.google.com/p/blender-addons-by-mifth/source/browse/#hg%2Fio_simple_3dcoat

Wiki:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Import-Export/3dcoat_Simple3DCoat_applink

Well There are two tools for retopology that blender should adopt from 3d coat. Autodesk Maya already ripped them off totally. :smiley:

1. the point and faces tool - absolutely beautiful workflow
  1. The quads tool (direct mode)

If you get that in blender, you got it made :smiley:

It should not be too complex: they are extrusions constrained to the surface of a mesh and somehow this functionality is already in Blender when using the Grease Pencil in the Surface mode (idea: what about turning grease pencil strokes into geometry? it would cater for most of the functionality shown in those videos).

3DCoat is cheap and surpass any expectation. (Education Win - 99$)

Why to wait a future development in Blender ?

I got it full and dont regret.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Modeling/F2

These 3dc retopo tools are very handy.
On the other hand, 3dcoat should adopt blender extrudes :smiley: fill grid, knife, fill with F, F, F… most importantly the beautiful function G to snap all (project individual elements on the surface = ON).
It’s a bit funny, I think blender and 3dcoat together offer all the tools we need.
3DC offers a much better visualization when retopo, For something similar in blender, we have to involve shrinkwrap+offset+an object color… However, shrinkwrap will become unhandy in some cases.

3dcoat UV editor offers some interesting tools too. To control tex stretching.
Blender UVsculpt offers such tools, not so well organized though.

I bought 3DC “hobbyist edition” on sale through Steam in December. Great bargain if all you want to do is learn the app without time limits. If I ever get good at using it and can see a way to make money from it, then I would certainly buy the unrestricted version. I’m glad it complements Blender. It’s a win-win for CG artists (and wannabees like me) on a budget.

Is the hobbyist edition the same as the education version?

And what exactly are the restrictions, from what I read on their site (having never used the software) I’m not sure I understand.

I don’t know about the hobbyist edition (I didn’t even know there was such a thing) since I only bought the educational edition on their Christmas sale but the main restrictions on the EDU version compared to the full version is that you only get to use 8 layers in the paintroom and (obviously) you cannot use it for commercial work.

Guys guys, I know about both f2 and bsurfaces. They are not the same as this. Not in a long shot.

But I am hopeful Jonathan and company will pull it off eventually. :slight_smile:

Dont buy the EDU version of 3d coat- you cant sell anything done with it and it is still limited.

Buy a subscription to blender cloud for less, so we can all benefit from better tools in blender sooner!
Vote with your wallets

You are also limited to 2048X2048 resolution for textures. I also have the education version and am having fun with it. Definitely complements Blender.

Anyone know why the professional version of 3DCoat v4 is 360 euros on their site, but 275 euros on Steam? What am I missing?

Not sure, but I suspect its easier to distribute and update on Steam rather than through Pilgway directly. It also reaches a wider audience, I suppose…

On the other hand, not everyone has commerical goals, nor needs every tool in the box to complete their task. For example, if you just want to learn the modelling process or take part in modelling challenges then the educational version of 3DCoat is highly recommended, for its price. Also, once you have purchased the educational edition of 3DCoat, you are then entitled to a discount on the professional edition when you would like to take your passion further.

Yes, subscriping to the Blender Cloud is a good thing, but don’t dismiss other products that are good team players: 3DCoat has an app-link to Blender, avaliable on Linux, whilst also supporting both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Also, it has layers similar to Photoshop which is a nice feature for the majority of users. 3DCoat, whilst providing a strong set of all round tools for modelling, is far cheaper than ZBrush, Mudbox or Mari. Even at the very low cost of £290, Pilway still manages to offer an educational edition for £75.

Seriously, my fellow UK Blender friend - Pilgway deserves their success. What should be encouraged is for Blender users to invest in 3D Coat and make it known to its lead programmer, Andrew Shpagin, that Pilgway’s efforts to include an App-link to Blender is appreciated.