BGE FPS Template 12/28/06

12/28/06:

I didn’t expect this many additions to the template so soon (because looking at how "community projects usually go…well they don’t go all that well), it could all be just a fluke, but for these past 4 days I feel like the tamplate has advanced significantly. (browsing through this thread will show that)

I have updated the main download link (in this post) to the latest version of the template, which will feature all the latest advancements (and some additional polish that I either wished, or was forced to apply).

I have credited the people who contributed in the template itself (those who most contributed starting from the top)

============================================================

I was planning to work on this a little bit more before publishing, but since the holidays are here:

I give you the BGE FPS Template:

Download: FPS_Template.blend

More info here: http://socialstorage.googlepages.com/projects

This is pretty much the result of my anger with all those “How do you make an FPS?” questions (asked as if there was one single answer). I figure instead of “bashing” people (kids) who ask such questions with my famous quote: “Start with something smaller”, I’ll have a basic template that I’ll just link to every time they ask that same question, and hopefully end the thread there (my christmas wish).

This way I can show the new guys that it’s a little more complicated than they initially thought, and at the same time provide a usefull resource for people who have the skill to mod and use the template, saving them some development time (or at least that’s the hope here).

All C&C is welcome as always. I hope you find this usefull.

Happy holidays - Social

Very cool!

Thanks Social :slight_smile:

don’t we all wish that?

good job.

Thank you so much Social! I’ve been wanting to know how to make bullet holes for a while (though I never really searched for it), and now I can see it!

R U Santa!?

But i just thought, if u could make a tutorial on HOW u made the template, I’m sure people would be ecstatic. And have much fewere noobie questions as a result (points to myself)

is there any other sever you could upload to? the download always stops at around 408kb for me, i’ve tried about 7 times. I’m pretty sure it’s because of my dial up though. I hate it so much…

Thanks! This is going to save me loads of time. I think im going to switch to this setup now for my project.

You’re Awesome Social!

Happy Holidays!

Thanks dude :smiley:

And Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

That is very great work Social, especially with the bullet holes, I’ve been wondering about that for quite some time :slight_smile:

VERY nice; the bullet holes hold me in awe…

Social, don’t let it go to your head, but you out do yourself sometimes!

Social, I have to say, this is fantastic! Your wish may come true!

It would be cemented if you would write even a brief outline of how you made each feature and the purpose behind the setups and such. This could well start many newbies (and noobs) on their way to making an FPS, while at the same time not bugging people like you. =)

Social, thank you very much. Not only for the template, but for a permanent solution to the beginners!

Do you want credit if we use your scripts/setup? I’d happily give it… In fact ignore that question.

Everybody should give credit whether or not social wants it! :wink:

Thanks again, Social!

Pretty cool. It’s great when demos come out like this. However, it’s a damn shame when demos end up being more complete than most of the game threads posted here. Plugged in the sticky.

The falloff for the force applied to aiming makes it look smooth, but that much will make aiming frustrating during gun battles with hordes of hell demons. I haven’t looked at how you have it set up, but hopefully that’s tweakable.

Very Nice Work.
Now make a game with it. (I haven’t seen many games made by you) Sure you do a heap of work, help a heap of people out and i have seen that game you made a while back now make something with all that knowledge you have of… everything.
Unless of course your already making one…
Merry Christmas Everyone

…anyone…other download sites? still aint working for me :frowning:

Cool .)) That’s awesome!!!

Excellent work Social. I’m sure this will prove a useful resource in future for many people. Particularly the newcomers who want to make a FPS but don’t have the programming know how yet.

With normal mapping and the upcoming physics capabilities the gap between what our engine can manage compared to the current commercial ones is shrinking too :slight_smile:

Looks nice, this should also come in handy for doing realtime visualizations. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks. Btw i set up a mirror:

http://fileho.com/download/4d39f8354039/FPS-Template.blend.html

Should have a decent speed.

Wow, thanks so much, Social. Merry Christmas. Looks great, very smooth, very complete. [thanks to 3D-Penguin also for the mirror, I had the same problem downloading as RagingChaos66].

Wow! Way cool…
Thank you thank you