Highlight / change bone color

Is there any function / module to change the color / highlight of a bone (like in Pose mode when a bone(s) is/are selected ?

Mike

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you want to visually distinguish the bone, you can use an object instead of a bone. Just enter the name of the object in pose mode in the Editing/Armature Bones/OB:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4732/fakeboneff6.png

As you can see from the image you loose the different type of view functionality (Octahedron/Stick/B-Bone/Envelope). But it’s visually very distinguishable.

Ya I knew about the Object thingy.

I want to do it programmatically in Python.

Specficially I was trying to write a script that identified vertexes that had multiple bones influencing them.

I just found out from AndyD that that SH-LMB in weight paint mode will display a list of bone names, which does exactly what I was trying to program :slight_smile:

It would be neat to be able to highlight the bones as a visual indication though.

Mike

I’ve recently submitted a patch (#4903) that does custom bone colours in pose mode. I haven’t got python support yet, but I might add that to the api. The selection colours in my patch are the inverse of the custom colours.

Aligorith

Go to File menu > User Prefences > Themes. Select the 3D View option then scroll down to Bone Solid, Bone Pose Active, and Bone Pose. You can make them any color you want. Be sure to Save User Settings.

Go to File > User Prefences > Themes. Select 3D View and scroll down to Bone Solid, Bone Pose Active, and Bone Pose. Save User Settings after changing colors.

stc=1

In pose mode (only) :
> in Properties panel > Armature tab > Bone groups, click on + to add one
> A color setting appears, select a predefined color set or the custom color set
> Select some bones and click on “Assign”
Color 1 : bones shading
Color 2 : wireframe of the selected bones
Color 3 : wireframe of the active selected bone.

2 Likes