The Sign Painter

This is my entry for Blender World Cup. I think I’m finished with it, but it’s possible I will do minor tweaking still, so C&C welcome.

dang, nise man

i saw this before on the work in progress, you sure did finish it quick

This is awsome, I really like the odd, creepy style to it.
Those eyes are really cool.

As I said in your WIP thread, Fantastic work.

Great stuff Modron.

The only thing that I could suggest is to give him some more expression in his face. A bit of a snear or at least some sort of tweak in the face. Seems very static, as if it’s still in a modelled stae and not posed/deformed. Some sort of an expression would work very well here.

BgDM

Thanks guys, Bg, I don’t know if I’ll have time to meddle with the face but maybe tommorow, anyway, I realised I didn’t make it according to the specified dimensions, so I reposed his arms a bit, changed the camera angle a hair and re-rendered him. I think the expression works slightly better from this angle, plus you can see his nose better.
http://home.att.net/~yorik/TheSignPainterFin.jpg

I belive AllTaken said, 'This round will not have any image size or shape rules, however all images will be resized again to 640 wide for showing of the forums".

So no need to worry abuot it.:wink:

Ah, that’s right, I vaguely remember that now, heheh, oh well. I think I’ll go with the second one anyway. His arms are more balanced, and in the first one it bugs me that the very tip of the brush intersects the easel.

I love that face. Great comical expression, pretty much sums the character up.

Great work.

The face looks fantastic!!!

Why so many hands and only one pen ?

Amusing concept and yes, it’d be neat and almost fitting to have two or three brushes.

Thanks guys, I did consider giving him multiple drawing insruments, but there’s so much going on in that space already with all his arms and hands, I just thought I should keep it simple.

Hey Ron,

so you do have skills, haha. I really like your cartoony style, it works great. Perhaps next time try it less grainy and better lit; there are just too many good stuff in your image that shouldn’t be hiding in the shadows. The bottle for example looks great (as seen in the WIP), but you can barely see it here.

And where’s the moth you showed in the WIP?

http://home.att.net/~yorik/moth3.jpg

Forget about the butterfly, f**k the butterfly. But the moth, dude, you should’ve kept the moth in. You cannot just leave the moth out. No, you can’t.
I mean, did you know that Mothra (AKA Mosura), the giant moth, has 4 movies of his own and showed in 9 Godzilla movies. Yes, 9 times in a Godzilla flick, that’s even more than King Ghidorah, the 3 headed golden dragon. And that says a lot. There was also some lame spider in 3 Godzilla movies, I think he was called Kumonga or something, but only 3 times. Yeah, I know, what a loser.

So if you have a WIP called ‘Spider and Moth’ you can’t just… leave… the moth… out. Really, you can’t.

http://www.kungfuzombie.com/godzilla%20pics/800px-Mothra.jpg

Remember Mothra…

Thanks man, perhaps I will redo the scene at some point. I think I need to remodel the moth though, it’s looks too moth-like, not human enough. There were actually a couple of ideas, the one with the moth involved the spider spinning fireflys into his web. Then I was going to do the butterfly scene with one of them playing lame duck, and some others waiting in the shadows with poisoned thorn daggers, for the spider, as he comes out to have his meal. Anyway, hopefully it will suffice as is.

Yes, you should have kept the moth!!

There’s some minor noise in the background of the image, try rendering it as png, or removing the noise in photoshop. Something like that.

Great render, I hope you keep making incredible blends like this.

(P.S.- It still looks like Dick Cheney)

Free Ear Exam, rofl
Nice work man

Nice work man
His eyes are kinda freeky!

thanks guys. didn’t realize this was in the gallery. uber coolness.

Nice Painting.It is a absolutely different style of painting.