Texture Painting to paint/correct problems with UV texture mapping? is it possible?

I´m trying to texture a hand, a womans hand.

In photoshop I tried to prepare the image for the UV mapping but there´s always a problem with where the top and lower portion (palm) and figure skin connect.

Mostly because of the shadows in the original photo but also because the top of the hand is a slightly different tone than the palm.

So I get a line where the seam is…

Could I use texture painting to fix this? Is there a hybrid technique between UV mapping and Texture Painting to correct there problems? If so, how can it be done?

Below is a screen capture of what happens.

thanks for the help!

Yes, this can be solved with texture painting:

• split you view: change one to the UV editor with the texture displayed, the other one to 3D view
  • go in the 3d view to texture paint
  • press T to open your tool panel
  • change the brush to “soften” (or try other ones, if they fit for you)
  • start overpainting the seam.

If you are finished, you need to save your reworked texture. To do so, press F3 while the mouse is over the (active) UV editor. Choose you filepath and save. Otherwise your changes will be lost after closing blender.
In your nodesetup you need to reimport the new texture…

Wow, seems pretty straight forward. Thanks for the heads up!

I´ll try it and post back my progress. Just two questions…

When you say I need to save my painting progress from the UV editor, do I need to choose “Save Image” from the UV window, then reimport it to the Image Texture node replacing the previous one?

This might seem silly but can I still have the faces of the mesh appear on texture inside the UV Editor (as a reference) or will that become engraved in the texture being painted?

Exactly. Instead of clicking at “Save image” you can simply press F3 (as I mentioned)

No - never. The displayed mesh in the UV editor is just an overlay; it will not affect anything.

I can´t seem to get a consistent result while painting… Using Smear causes the texture to go white, instead of mixing the colours. Also tried TexDraw with LIGHT option to try to lighten the darker color (on the lower portion) but instead it painted the color.

I must be doing something wrong or choosing incorrect options for the tools.

I finally finished it… decided to go back to texturing and created a new texture from scratch.

One conclusion at least, prime material has to be it´s best. My first images were low quality photos with crazy shadows. That was my main problem. Some times it´s better to go back a step or two and actually save time by doing so.