" Beyond Repair "

I’ve been modeling some Elevator scenes for a short film I am working on. I had done some elevator animations previously, and recently did the elevator shaft and machine room. So I took these elements and made this short animation.

I wanted to focus on adding some grunge in the machine room, so it was good practice, but the challenging part was getting a working machine that I could animate.

Thanks for taking a look, and would welcome your thoughts.

A couple of still renders

Interesting little clip, and nice work on animating the various mechanical parts. Maybe try to gun for a higher lighting quality if you have the means.

However, are you sure you don’t mean to call it ‘beyond repair’?

@ ACE thanks for the heads up… I’ve got it fixed now.

Nice work, it has an evenly paced feel, I think it will look great in a larger video too, perhaps up the ante some by having someone in the elevator, or worse, perhaps, working on it from below? Or a kind of funny idea, as the door shuts we hear pretty crappy musak, maybe Tom Petty “free falling” by way of computer xylophone, as you cut to the shot from below we still hear it as it accelerates.

The cables in the video thumbnail seem to be using a bump that isn’t quite right. It’s looking more like pure black. It’s the only visual element that is jumping out.
Incredible work! great to see it still going.

I would say that it’s better that every scene is consistent than getting one scene right and the other not.

But I would like more contrast and color.

I did two quick in photoshop, but remember that this is my personal taste and that I usually little over the top. If anything it might give you some ideas.
http://i.imgur.com/16Cf4iO.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/CETP6ho.jpg

You depicted the horror of everyone who is afraid of using an elevator :slight_smile: I’ve been told, though, that something like that could not happen. I like the speed of the video and the cuts. And the storytelling feels right. And the machine room of the elevator has turned out really well.

@photox yea the cables were a continuous problem for me, I was using a normal map for displacement that I found online, maybe I adjusted the strength too much… luckily they are animating with motion blur for most of the video. The inspector will definitely be integrated in short film. Thanks for the creative suggestions.

@bigbad Perhaps it could use more contrast, I’ll tweek that when I add portions of these animations into the short film. But I will probably make more subtle changes than in your examples.

@minoribus I was amazed to find out how many fail safe measures are built into elevators… obviously mine wasn’t quite up to code:) Here is a link to show how they really make elevators to be safe

I appreciate everyone’s feedback and suggestions. I’m curious on how you felt the sound effects worked in the video?

Yeah exactly. Your taste and style.

The sound was okey in my ears but I felt something missing. The sound were too sharp and always in the same spot. It would nice to hear laughter or radio before entering and elevator music. Maybe the music could sound less n less the further away it moves from camera, and the opposite when it falls.

The sound was okey in my ears but I felt something missing

Just curious Bigbad…was there any particular scene that you felt something missing? Basically you have 3 general areas… inside the elevator, the machine room, and the shaft.

It would nice to hear laughter or radio before entering and elevator music

Sounds like both you and Photox mentioned similar ideas… I may try and incorporate some elevator music when I do the short film parts.

Thanks for you suggestions.

It felt empty. It’s Las Vegas and I felt that it was completely empty.

It would be cool if there was Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra music in the elevator.

Also I assume this is hotel. Human chatter in the background on the first scene when entering the elevator.

I just noticed the door to death. :smiley: The apartment has a door that lead out side 3 stories down.

I’m just saying. Play with the sounds more. The animation and details are great.

harley nice images, for some reason the video don’t load me so I can’t see what animation you doing here, good luck with this new project!

@jose Sorry you had a problem. I just checked and it played fine…but maybe try a direct link from Vimeo