Reducing the sharpness of UV Map edges

Did I dream this or was there recently a way in Blender to blur one UV Mapped area more gently into another? I do dream of Blender.

ex. I have a sweater sleeve and an arm. I’ve drawn the whole thing but want to change the arm differently than the cuff knitting. Best solution would be this blurry edge ability and use the same image. If I can’t reduce the sharpness of UV Map edges against each other, I have to draw everything over again so where the cabling meets the cuff, there isn’t a sharp division.

Any reminder would be very welcomed!

never heard of it but that sounds dope haha

You probably dreamed it.

However, it would be possible to use vertex color channels as a mask to blend textures together (using ramps to control the falloff).

Just to add a bit to Ace Dragon’s post: you can blend textures as you need and by all means, but each texture can only have one UV map…

It doesn’t make too much sense to blend different uvmaps… it’s like puting two different maps and saying: The treasure (color) is somewhere between this x in the top map and the other x in the bottom one… :confused:

If you have baked the texture which now has these sharp transitions and export uvs for the seam border region- faces along the seams (select seam edges, Ctrl-NumpadPlus), what if you used this exported uv image to create a mask to use for resynthesizer or heal selection tools in photo editor?
Just a fix idea…

Edit: Scratch this or use where appropriate. After reading #1 several times i can not get where smoothness helps to deal with sharp transition sleeve/arm.

I ended up adjusting things in GIMP which worked fine but maybe, because eppo’s right, a better example would be the outer edge of lips transitioning to the color of skin. I know that we can just draw the difference in one map but if they were two maps, and not everyone’s lip color is a straight jump to skin color, a little bleed would go a long way toward realism.

The memory I have is so real! I’m not surprised I might have imagined it. Vertex color channels is something I’m not familiar with. I’ll look into that for future use. Thanks for the good effort!

A month and two days later, I stumbled into the source of my confusion. What I was barely remembering only applies to specific setups but it’s real. Box Blending Method, Projection Blend.

Most originally: http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/blended_box_mapping/blended_box_mapping.htm
Reference to 2.63’s Cycles ability via Tears of Steel: https://mango.blender.org/production/blended_box/
Most recent mention as a technique in tutorial book: http://adventuresinblender.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/enrico-valenza-blender-cycles-materials.html (1/3rd down, the ROCK picture)

So I’m happy to say I’m not totally unaware. I’m just confused. Thanks for trying to help; I know my bad description didn’t suggest I was thinking of Box Blending which you probably knew about anyway. And, keseyrage, with product demos and boxes, this is something you should know.