Link or Instances in same .blend file?

Hi, I hope that I posted this thread in correct section :wink:
I have a question - what consume less of CPU memory - links from other .blend files or creating a group in same .blend file (only on different layer) and than placing a ā€œgroup instancesā€ in proper layer?

Iā€™m making a huge scene of street and want to place in it small details like chairs, lamps, street lamps, curtains in windows and I donā€™t know which method does consume less of CPU memoryā€¦

My workflow was to place on last layer all my assets, than prepare proper groups and placing them in my model layer as ā€œgroup instancesā€ but the end result is really heavy file and a long render timeā€¦

Does anyone have any suggestion? How to improve this?

Will be grateful for response.

Cheers,
paulina.

Linked vs local does not make a difference at render time. Dupligroups are just dupligroups. Linking will reduce the size of your current .blend file by spreading it around to other files, which makes saving your current file a lot faster. Hereā€™s a blog post I wrote awhile back about linking and asset management. Sounds like you already have a good grasp on most of this, but you might find it useful: https://jtheninja.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/121/

Hi J_the_Ninja - thanks for reply! Iā€™ve jest founded this link myself. Didnā€™t know that itā€™s yours. Very usuful and well written article. Thanks for the link! Ehhh I thought that it could decrease scene size and rendering time but in this case I think that my model is jest to detailedā€¦ Maybe next time I will mąkę workflow more fluent. Thanks a lot for your help :wink: