Creepy landscape

This is a VERY early WIP. More of an experiment than anything as I am just getting started with Blender. I am learning as I go. Everything modeled (except the trees which were done in ngPlant) and textured (UV maps for trees exported from ngPlant) in Blender. Low res render was done in cycles. I have much more to add to this (and learn) so will most likely post more progress images as I go.

Attachments

I wonder if the house would a little creepier with a crawl space below the deck, rather than the stone foundation?

Remember this phrase and you will success: “people fears unknown”. So, if you can give us a feeling that we don’t know what or who is there, you can make it quite scary to look. Hollywood is using this trick in their every horror movie. If you could see the alien clearly and study its anatomy, it would not be even close that scary.

I have few times tried to achieve this theme with photography and photo manipulation. Here is two of those:

Yeah the house will be creepier with a crawl space and put some human bones in there like a skull.

Also add some mist and tiny bright orbs. You can also set an object shaped like a humanoid with long limbs to cast only shadow as shown in this example:

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Always appreciated. I agree, taking the stone off the porch may make it better. I’ll give it a try. Here is WIP #3. I worked on this before I read the comments.

Attachments

With more fog/atmosphere the picture would be more interesting like this: http://i.imgur.com/6B65yRU.png

Thanks for the great feedback Medal71. Awesome example! Here is my latest render where I did increase the mist. Maybe not enough as it doesn’t show that well in this post although it is quite strong on my machine?

Attachments

Now it’s beginning to be a very interesting image and effect! If you don’t want to exaggerate with the fog (for more effect), it’s is cool :wink:

Probs a stupid idea but what about putting in maybe a ghost/spooky face in the top window.

Thanks Medal71, I still have a lot to learn!
Timelord1349, thanks for the suggestion. I might experiment with that to see what I can come up with.