(WiP) First 3D Model - Topology Considerations

Hi everyone,

I just recently started with 3D modelling… in fact this is my first 3D model. I have so far spent a lot of time on this to learn basic concepts, and redone the topology once already. All of this is adding up time-wise. However, I have no one to talk to when it comes to constructive criticism on it and I feel as if the character is getting quite… messy in the topology department.

So, the reason as to why I am here: I would love to have some input on how to improve this model before I start to sculpt for a normal map, unwrap it for UV maps, texture it, rig it, implement it all in UE4 and so on.

Some of the trouble areas have been:

• the four arms, especially at the shoulders
  • hands and feet, especially making sure that it will be functional in animations
  • the ears
  • nostrils (slits in this case)
  • the holes that I designed to be on top of her head

I am just now realizing that I’ll have to model the inside of the mouth, along with teeth and tongue. One thing after another.

Thank you for reading, and hopefully providing some constructive criticism. I’ve attached the blend file here, and an image of the character with subdivision modifier applied.

-Scarab

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/fRe7SKh2oUqZe9zv4DeifuitkKzHwLNXX63ZtqV7SxuCbsYT3Rne3WIh6yusj8JY5jon3d_rFZhQYqH2lalrh82WUtmjXmVLOHXObsJF9Nh83G6EcR1Zl10kaGTfpcZFTIywF6q6zvUhEpUG6FYaBOaTRxMkQmNdCuEwyndNn8bYgQhhkZkmGNM_WLsJfeOjty2ki1j8JeL44Fs0H7CqUzSl2CE8VW8V9OCidsejB5pSw1dumHVYdL711CYV2kWSKpZXNyBKvqBInuoyzhjK0v5gtcnKweD6kpHuJ7wAzwWcU2b5NEGpYMJAtdl_ayALbIIWQtkleBj0VWJN4V6vnKG9TlrPwHVUon4QJR-otOHz1CbWWKy8Tdp7ceXSpkVcnly-KQmQbFCq5ov8nZUIZmJMfngzpV0BF_DO5vJA1Ewss5msx0RNLH7zY9oa9P5EsV6s9dDl6xWBqT0TrgTXgNdH7ZHQqfJL-qebxh4lrMuZK8SarCdiBoSWAznz_8zrREAioX2mPOmq88Igh2numNXtFFGFMxd4BWMCKZVIKJl-NnBLkLcedGLtpblraCG5cPY=w728-h975-no

Attachments

Alien43.blend (1.53 MB)