UV Mapping Voodoo Unrepeatable

heyas;

so today, i tried to use blender to map a 3d frog that is laid out all flat and straight.

so i marked the seams, i hit the automatic uv thing, and it made funny blobs around here and there. but then i went to the top view and hit ‘project from view’ an the uvs turned into the top view of the frog.

THEN, over on the uv pane/window/part/section, i hit the ‘scale’ button, and when the uvs started scaling, the seams all popped open and laid the frog out, PERFECTLY SKINNED.

well. but that frog had some problems (it wasn’t truly symmetrical), so i edited the original obj, reimported, did all those steps all over again… and i can’t get the seams to pop any more.

does anybody have any idea what the dip i actually did? because i really really REALLY want to do it again!

does anybody have any idea what the dip i actually did? because i really really REALLY want to do it again!
We’re supposed to guess are we, without actually seeing ANYTHING !

If you edited the mesh did you remove any seams or do you now need to add more seams ?

what is it you want to see? blender not doing what it did before? i can try to draw a picture of how it came out before, if that helps?

i imported an obj. it did not have seams. i selected the edges to make seams and made seams. i may have removed some seams if i changed my mind about where i put them, or how far they went. does that make a difference?

okay, here is the frog, there are the seams on the belly and legs. on the left, there’s the planar projection from the top view, as you’d expect. that ugly red squiggle is my mad trackball drawing skillz approximating what it did before. ie: the seams popped open, the throat expanded out around the head, the arm sliced along the side and laid out with both top and bottom, the belly pulled out to the side as cut, etc with the rest.

i THOUGHT i hit uv unwrap: planar from view, then hit the scale key, and that’s what made the seams pop open. this is apparently not the case. do you know what would/could/should make the seams pop open from a planar view?