T-Rex still render for animation

I want to render a short animation, but before I go ahead and render the first 200 frames for my first clip, I want some serious feedback/critique on this. It is not meant to be photorealistic, but I do strive towards a decent degree of quality render.

I like it.
For me the t rex skin is too “lumpy” as opposed to looking scaly. The eye still needs a bit of work. I like the composition but too much flare and mist effect for my personal liking.

Thank you for taking your time to give me some feedback.
What exactly do you mean by lumpy? Does it have too many wrinkles?

To what extend and how does the eye need work?

Thank you in advance.

At the moment some of the wrinkles look more like lumps to me. I think if you could get a little more definition into the skin it would help. For the eye it just feels flat and sort not eye like. How is the eye modelled?

The eye is just a sphere.

You need to work more on the definition of the body. Right now it looks like you did this from memory.

Hmm. What’s the bright flare in the center of the image? An incoming meteor? The sun? It’s hard to tell. Maybe think of some ways to communicate what it is or remove it?

The image as a whole looks under-lit to me and kind of foggy. With the exception of that bright spot, the whole image looks roughly the same brightness and color. You can barely even see the TRex in the thumbnail! I think making your light source stronger should help

That ghosting in post, if that’s what’s making the hotspot in the center, might not play well in an animation. It will become static and monotonous.

The shadow region on the dino indicates that light is hitting his eye. Let it shine! For the sake of readability, add a little reflection to the skin so some sky color mixes in. That strong shadow indicates light effect and contrast that’s stronger than what we see. Right now the center of interest is that bright center. In the thumbnail, I thought it was a missile attack on a giant dino.